PanetX carbon Mega Value

Comments

• I got a Planet X Pro Carbon about a month ago. Mega Value build with Alta Race wheelset (extra œ75). White grip tape and white saddle looks the biz!!! So far I've done a hundred miles or so and I am absoloutely in love with it. It's very light: 16.8lbs with no pedals, very fast and very comfortable. It arrived boxed up and ready to go. All I had to do was twist round the bars and tighten them up. I have been using it for commuting so far (20 miles each way) as I have a very safe storage area at work and it has taken 15 minutes off my time. So far I'm very impressed, best grand I ever spent!!!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. These bike are brilliant value for money! You can't go wrong at this price. Ugly? Don't think so!

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • wherryman
    wherryman Posts: 77
    chaps, help me please, when planet-x say "saddle to BB" dimension, what is BB, sorry guys, I've not been back on bikes for long, I'm trying to determine the frame size for 6ft and 32 inside leg, planet x frame dimensions seem to differ considerably from others, forgive my ignorance....we were all here once....
  • jkm
    jkm Posts: 80
    <font size="1">Wherryman Posted - 03/04/2007 : 17:06:51
    chaps, help me please, when planet-x say "saddle to BB" dimension, what is BB, sorry guys, I've not been back on bikes for long, I'm trying to determine the frame size for 6ft and 32 inside leg, planet x frame dimensions seem to differ considerably from others, forgive my ignorance....we were all here once.... </font id="size1">

BB= Bottom Bracket, the bit the crank axel goes through.
  • wherryman
    thanks for that
  • wherryman
    simbil and placid and other planet-x owners, how on earth did you size the frame for your bikes ? I have to admit I'm struggling on this one and am trying not to take over the thread ! By other measures I'm a 56cm on the Tricross and a Focus Cayo for example but not for this one - any pointers to other topics would be appreciated or some guidance on here ? cheers
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wherryman</i>

simbil and placid and other planet-x owners, how on earth did you size the frame for your bikes ? I have to admit I'm struggling on this one and am trying not to take over the thread !
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Simple. I told Brandt at Planet-X my height and inside leg and he recommended the correct frame size. Fits like a glove!

<font size="1">Huffing fishy tyre air since 1972</font id="size1">
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • wherryman
    Hi Wogan, I tried that - he replied with a cut and paste from their website ! Oh well.

"Hi,

I'm sure you get sick of this type of question but at 6 foot with a 32 inch inside leg, roughly what frame size am I looking at ?"
    Reply :
    Sizing is a bit funny, but one dimension that can help you find out more is your saddle to BB dimension. Maximum extension out of the frame is 250mm - so add this to the frame size you're interested, and add 20mm for your saddle, to give a maximum saddle height on a given frame."
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    From your height and inside leg lebgth I would put you between their medium and large frames for the Pro Carbon.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Hi wherryman, as far as sizing goes I sent Brant a picture of my current commuter with the set up measurements drawn on it (used microsft paint!). He advised me of sizing from that. I am 6 foot with longish legs (between regular and long in trousers). I got a Large with a shortish stem (90cm) and a full stack of stearer spacers. Fits beautifully.

My bikes:
    http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=29099&i=291574
    http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=29099&i=317809
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    Note : the rim tape supplied with the pair of Alta Races I bought for the wife was next to useless and needed to be replaced .

Luke
    Luke
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wherryman</i>

Hi Wogan, I tried that - he replied with a cut and paste from their website ! Oh well.

"Hi,

I'm sure you get sick of this type of question but at 6 foot with a 32 inch inside leg, roughly what frame size am I looking at ?"
    Reply :
    Sizing is a bit funny, but one dimension that can help you find out more is your saddle to BB dimension. Maximum extension out of the frame is 250mm - so add this to the frame size you're interested, and add 20mm for your saddle, to give a maximum saddle height on a given frame."

Actually, that wasn't on the website until you asked me - the "I bet you're sick of it" made me do it :-)

Is that not helpful - get me that dimension and I'll see what I can do.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wherryman</i>

simbil and placid and other planet-x owners, how on earth did you size the frame for your bikes ? I have to admit I'm struggling on this one and am trying not to take over the thread ! By other measures I'm a 56cm on the Tricross and a Focus Cayo for example but not for this one - any pointers to other topics would be appreciated or some guidance on here ? cheers

wherryman, I'm the same measurements as you are and I went for a large frame with a 10cm stem and 172.5mm cranks. The bike fits me perfectly except that the stem is maybe a little to long, I think 9cm would have been better, or I could just move the seat forward slightly (only just thought of that!!!haha!!). Great bike, amazing value for money, buy one!!!!!!!!!!!
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    wherryman, I'm almost the same size as you (6ft 1/2") and all the bike formula's I've used put me on a traditional 56cm or 58cm i.e. on the boarder. From experience, I find a 56 a tad cramped and I like lots of room on top so I go for the traditional 58cm which is a PlanetX large. You may want to go for a large with a shortish (90cm) stem, or if you prefer to ride a smaller bike you could go for a medium frame and a longer stem. The only sure way is a test ride and even then you can ride a bike for a while before you notice that you don't like the fit.
    Another approach you could take is measuring one of your well fitting bike's top lengths (horizontal seatpost to stem, stem to bars etc.) and then get the details of the PlanetX frames top dimensions and see if the medium or large looks best.
    Be careful with stem lengths, going very long or very short can mess up the steering feel.
    Good luck!
  • wherryman
    thanks guys and brant - I should have explained I am an unashamed novice when it comes to the set up hence my confusion, now to choose between the gorgeous looking great value PX or the exceptional value Cayo with free stuff ! Its hard getting back into biking.
  • wherryman
    Oh, and perhaps I should call Planet X for a chat - the Tricross I ride is a 58cm but is just a little on the large side - its my stumpy inside leg of 32 I think but I like a more upright position, no one is the same, must be tough making bikes eh brant !?
  • leadlegs
    leadlegs Posts: 10
    I can understand your dilemma wherryman, it was much easier, I was deciding between PlanetX and Cayo. Then I went and did something silly by looking in LBS at Trek Pilot 5.0 or the 5000. Now I am very confused. I know the Pilot and 5000 are more expensive but there is the advantage of try before you buy at the LBS. Decisions, decisions...
  • wherryman
    I'm keeping away from the LBS, I've narrowed it down to two and its hard enough getting it down to one ! Planet-X just looks so much better than the Focus.... oh crap, why didnt I just stay at 15 stone with a beer can in my hand ?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well by the looks of things, if it were me, i would go for the Planet X. Not being a fan of the lower model Focus bikes, you will probably get better service and customer satisfaction from Planet X.

But as i said, that's only my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • I went for the Planet X last November, much to my wife's disgust (money, not my choice of steed!). I would imagine you'd get better customer service from PX than the likes of Wiggle, as good as they are. I emailed Brant my measurements and he was quite helpful with his response. He even said that I could send it back if I didnt like it - cant argue with that really. There's not much chance of that - the bike's a corker for the money. It's incredible light and comfortable. The only slight quibble is a slight shakiness when I accelerate hard out of the saddle, but I've got a full stack of spacers on the steerer which might need tweaked a bit.

If it helps, I'm 5' 11" and ride a medium with a 100 stem. I've got a dodgy back, so might consider trying a 90 stem. I was gonna send the 100 back to Brant and ask for a swap, but weeks became months and I dont think he'd be overly impressed if I did that now, as spotless as it still is!

Recommended.

www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I've got a lot to say, it just doesn't come to me today..
    www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I\'ve got a lot to say, it just doesn\'t come to me today..
  • planetxcp
    planetxcp Posts: 207
    Wherryman - Im pretty certain your a large , the following wont mean much to you but our alloy and carbon frames are very similar in geometry with the exception the carbon simply has more slope on the top tube , but actually effective top tube lengths are pretty constant , across both our frames and most frames - Italian geometry tends to be a touch shorter , especially gios who seem to go very short -

Our dimensions are roughly as follows

S Alloy - 48cm slightly sloping seat tube , is equivalent to a 51cm traditional diamond , is equivalent to our carbon small 44cm very sloping seat tube
    - as a rule of thumb riders up to 5 foot 7 , top tube lengths on this size around 52-53

m Alloy - 51cm slightly sloping seat tube , is equivalent to a 54cm traditional diamond , is equivalent to our carbon med 48cm very sloping seat tube
    - as a basic rule of thumb riders up to 5 foot 10 , top tube lengths on this size around 54-55

L Alloy - 54cm slightly sloping seat tube , is equivalent to a 57cm traditional diamond , is equivalent to our carbon large 52cm very sloping seat tube
    - rule of thumb up to 6 foot 1 , top tube lengths on this size around 56-57

XL Alloy - 57cm slightly sloping seat tube , is equivalent to a 60cm traditional diamond , is equivalent to our carbon xl 56cm very sloping seat tube
    - rule of thumb over 6 foot 1 , top tube length 58-59

Since a test ride is going to be clearly a good idea for you , I might have a good suggestion , as next week Im just building up my own new bike (just given my 05 carbon bike to our Sportspulse engineer to "encourage" (bribe) him to get cracking on our new TT frame project , so Im going to have a new large carbon dura ace bike that Ill send you for a weekend to try - like it you can buy something , dont like it send it back . Youll have to pay delivery and collection and youll have to promise not to scratch my new bike . Mind you itll have a 12 sem and 44 bars ! (changing stem is easy)
    just mail me if you want to dave@planet-x-bikes.com
  • wherryman
    Dave, many thanks, I have emailed you, customer service always swings it for me so consider my choice made! cheers all for your helpful comments, it looks like a large, 90 stem, white tape and saddle!
  • Dave Gcp
    Dave Gcp Posts: 731
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so Im going to have a new large carbon dura ace bike that i'll send you<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Upsell complete! [;)][:p]

Dave G
    Dave G
  • harrhill
    harrhill Posts: 2
    Are the superlight carbon frames really carbon or are there sections of AL wrapped in carbon?
  • planetxcp
    planetxcp Posts: 207
    All carbon monocoque , BB shell obviously alloy and off the top of my head theres an alloy insert at top of seattube , but cant check now because Im now at home and its Easter holiday - its 18 degrees and sunny - yippee .
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by planetx</i>

All carbon monocoque , BB shell obviously alloy and off the top of my head theres an alloy insert at top of seattube , but cant check now because <b>Im now at home and its Easter holiday - its 18 degrees and sunny - yippee .</b>

It's grim up north.

Its been 25 degrees here today [:p]

<font size="1">'To be is to do' Jean-Paul Sartre

'Do Be Do Be Do' Frank Sinatra</font id="size1">
  • At the risk of boring everybody stupid can I just resurrect this topic and ask if anybody has any more photos?
    Ta

My Bikes
    http://groups.msn.com/ROADCYCLINGUK/juliansbikes.msnw
  • 12volt
    12volt Posts: 32
    just about to order my planet-x hope its as good as you all say it is [:)]
  • Dave Gcp
    Dave Gcp Posts: 731
    @Julianbramley - this is my Ultegra Race Build (pics are quite high res, if you want to zoom in, download 'em):

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dagman74/Pl ... aRaceBuild

Dave G
    Dave G
  • Good man. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Much appreciated
    Julian

My Bikes
    http://groups.msn.com/ROADCYCLINGUK/juliansbikes.msnw