Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Got to cycle in to London tomorrow for an exam so pumped up tyres, re-indexed front mech as it wasn't changing to the big ring easily and readjusted both brakes. Oh, also lubed the chain. It could do with a proper clean, but I haven't got time.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    After yesterday wee super cold & wet coast to coast in 12 hours i've just stripped the Scott to deep clean it and am considering adding a 1mm shim on the drive side cranks to give the front mech (R8000) a bit more clearance, that should be okay shouldnt it? after all lots of BB30 come with loads of shims to tune chainline and clearance.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Attached slide hammer to Dirk and smashed fuckout of the stem.

need to go back and smashfuck out of it again
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • itboffin
    Stripped yet another shimano crank bolt what are these things made of cheese
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Doh turns out my H5 bit was slightly rounded which is why it kept slipping, expensive mistake
  • itboffin
    bought some cheap Chinese integrated handlebars which look nice however the position on the bar where i need the clamp band to be is too thick 25mm when the max band size is 24.2mm, anyone had this issue and solved it?
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    After weeks of creaking, slop and ineffective re-assembly, have given up the headset on my FXE. New headset ordered (Alpina 1 1/8" 36x45), but I seem to have stripped the topcap bolt and/or star flanged nut, so will need to work out some way to extract the bolt, then smash the old SFN down into the steerer. I will not be quitting my day job. :smile:
  • MattFalle
    dyrlac said:

After weeks of creaking, slop and ineffective re-assembly, have given up the headset on my FXE. New headset ordered (Alpina 1 1/8" 36x45), but I seem to have stripped the topcap bolt and/or star flanged nut, so will need to work out some way to extract the bolt, then smash the old SFN down into the steerer. I will not be quitting my day job. :smile:

turn forks upside down and smash the whole lot out in a oner from below?
  • MattFalle
    or at least smack it out far enough so you can cut the top of the bolt off, slide the top cap off and smack the rest of it out.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    dyrlac said:

Drill the head off the bolt then remove top cap and push old SFN down. Even if you don't push it all the way down you can just get it out the way. Much easier than trying to force the old one upwards.
  • MattFalle
    if you can't drill the head off the bolt smash the top cap to smithereens which shouldn't be too difficult tbh especially after you have drilled holes in it to to weaken it then smash it all downwards a la V Man post.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Thanks all. All this smashing and (deliberately, for once) destructive fettling sounds theraputic.

Although will need to replace my custom top cap (after my 3d or 4th crash, my FIL got me a top cap that says "Remember, cars always win"). So need to come up with somethign pithy.
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021
    try smacking it with a long bar and phat hammer from below first - remember that if it doesn't come out in a one-r after a few hits it only has to come up an inch so you can hacksaw the top of the bolt of.

insultating tape across the top cap will stop and scratches.

star bolt will, tbh, turn in on itself after a few phat smacks as its made of cheese metal so overall i'd say a 5/10 on the bullshine factor scale.
  • New tyres
  • MattFalle
    Lowered the nose of my saddle by, say, 2mm.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,406
    Removed some paint from the chainstay and fork on a curbstone by having a "clipping-out" incident. It's all about the grams and not incompetence on my part honest!
  • itboffin
    Replaced my Campag Chorus with Ultegra R8000 and can i get the front mech to work without rubbing ....? can i d'feck

i've tried everything i can think of multiple times but i just cant stop it rubbing the sides of the cage when the crankarms are at 11-12 o'clock on closer inspection it looks like the chain is moving in-out at the 11-13 positions like a side to side wobble, new chainrings have done nothing to fix it, removed cleaned and replaced all the bolts, torquing them up perfectly and even swapped them around to see if one was out, nothing! side to side movement is still there.

BB feels solid no play or visible distortion

i'm stumped
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,578
    itboffin said:

Replaced my Campag Chorus with Ultegra R8000 and can i get the front mech to work without rubbing ....? can i d'censored

i've tried everything i can think of multiple times but i just cant stop it rubbing the sides of the cage when the crankarms are at 11-12 o'clock on closer inspection it looks like the chain is moving in-out at the 11-13 positions like a side to side wobble, new chainrings have done nothing to fix it, removed cleaned and replaced all the bolts, torquing them up perfectly and even swapped them around to see if one was out, nothing! side to side movement is still there.

i'm stumped

Put the Campag back on? :)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Finally sorted the mudguard rattle on OH's Liv bike, the threaded fitting in the rear of the seat tube had come loose and allowed te mudguard to rattle even when bolt done up tight.
    Application of Araldite from ancient tube around the edges of the fitting seems to have fixed it!
  • itboffin

itboffin said:

Replaced my Campag Chorus with Ultegra R8000 and can i get the front mech to work without rubbing ....? can i d'censored

i'm stumped

Put the Campag back on? :)
    More than tempting as it worked 100% of the time alllllll the time #sexpanther
  • MattFalle
    Perfect answer then

Proper working groupset that is a lot prettier and functions better back on, sell the Ultegra to a clubbie, spend the proceeds on ho and blow.

everyone a winner

#simples,innit
  • MattFalle
    Record shifters flushed through with GT and Plus Gas ready to be re-oiled or stripped down and lovingly oiled/greased before being reassembled with the gentlest of touches, Veloce shifter shifter being degunked as its vile inside before doing the same as the Record shifters.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Replaced the rear brake cable & housing. Both bits were old enough that the brake would, at times, remain partially closed.

Steering felt rattly even after adjusting the headset. Suspecting the bearings were shot, bought a new set and replaced them.

Bike's feeling much better now. Only problem is I feel I'll soon need new cable housing at the front, but the bar tape has only been in place for 6 weeks. I suspect I can't undo it and put it back on, as it has a thin stripe of glue (Fizik vento solocush)
  • Fitted the 38mm Gravdal ice spike tyres to the commuter ready for tomorrow morning, given the Met Office ice warning.

Front went on easily before dinner, just given myself sore thumbs while wrestling with the rear for far longer.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,406
    Fitted Fulcrum Racing 4(18) wheels to replace the stock Aksiums on my Ribble. First time dealing with thru axles, refitting the rear was a real pain in the arse. I guess there must be a knack that I haven't yet mastered.
  • MattFalle
    Took the spare Record shifters out of the loft.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,479
    MattFalle said:

Took the spare Record shifters out of the loft.

That’s not fettling. that’s relocation.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • itboffin
    More pissing around trying to index the front mech on my Topstone gravel bike, some success i think well enough for me to now start trying to track down the non stop clicking whilst holding the bars particularly the right shifter, i'm torn between dry headset and internal cable slap, if its slap why would it stop when i take my hands off the bars ....?
  • MattFalle
    75% did the Cadex. its flipping lovely.
  • MattFalle
    i 3/4 built this today after painting and lacquering it over the past couple of days and will finish it on Monday or Tuesday.