Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    tried to do some maintenance on the winter bike in the garage last night, had to keep coming back into the house to thaw out my fingers
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I replaced the rear mech chain and cassette on my trusty winter hybrid hack today. It was absolutely freezing outside. However I’m well impressed with the build quality of the SRAM parts I’m using. I’ve had this bike for six years , it’s been through hell and high water, and this is the first time I’ve had to replace the rear mech. It’s working sweetly again now.
  • itboffin
    I’d agree except for today I changed the sram rival 10 speed rear mech for a sram gx MTB which has the same 1:1 ratio and should be 100% compatible, the installation was simple as was indexing to shift but damned if I can get all the gears smoothly shifting up and down
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Found a solution to the problem above, headphones
  • itboffin
    I’ve had shocking shifting for a few weeks with my trek kitted out with 10 speed sram rival, I’d tried everything until today when I checked the chain and wow I’ve never had one that stretched before, newish chain on and business as usual until the next problem.
  • itboffin
    Shifting sorted but the intermittent clicking is still there grrrr
  • Front wheel on my old Tequesta's sticking a bit. Checked off the bike seems fine, just tightens once the qr skewer is tightened up. So next job is open up the hub see what's going on.
  • Months of poor gear changing, wouldn't flip between gears neatly.
    Oh look the teeth on the jockey wheels are like needles...... £10 and 2 jockey wheels later..... magic smooth shifting 😀
  • itboffin
    Fitted very old mavic askium rear wheel to help me eliminate sources of my dreadful creaking noise and noticed it had an extra 5mm of cassette spacers making shifting horrible, fixed that then took a look at the other wheel, freehub and axle rusted to bugger, that’ll do it
  • itboffin

• Just bought a suspension seat post ..... certainly makes a difference on bumpy roads :)
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    edited April 2021
    Front wheel could barely make a full rotation so off came the seals on the cartidge bearings, cleaned up, re-greased and now rolling freely(ish). Ordered some new cartridge bearings but it'll do for now.

Just 682 other bike related jobs to go now.
  • itboffin
    Son of a bitch changing brake cables in campagnolo chorus shifters is a total ball ache, could not thread it through the sti body for almost an hour. Cable replaced and new disc pads fitted in the front TRP mechanical disc brake, the rear can wait until I forget what a total pita it is too change.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Got given a "been left for a while" (aka knackered) kids BSO, using it to teach my kids, a friend, and the friend's kids the basics of cleaning, replacing cables, replacing chains, seats etc. Parts cost more than an almost identical BSO (in better nick, but "the wrong colour") but wasn't my call..

However, Friend's kid is now happily riding it around as their first proper no-stabiliser bike with the rest of us - and is really proud to show off their work.

Obviously, it was done while the parents were sampling the ales from the local brewery, we're not that mad.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin said:

Son of a censored changing brake cables in campagnolo chorus shifters is a total ball ache, could not thread it through the sti body for almost an hour. Cable replaced and new disc pads fitted in the front TRP mechanical disc brake, the rear can wait until I forget what a total pita it is too change.

which version of chorus - i find using a small flat head driver to guide the cable into the exit hole at the back of the body works really well or is it the front of the body that is the issue?
  • Plenty of building and some fettling recently for me

New non-road/gravel bike built up with Ekar groupset. Love the fact that the new Campagnolol hydro parts come pre-primed. Cut the hoses, barbs in and olives on and tighten up. Easypeasy - no need to bleed whatsoever.

Also, stripped hope rear hub to change wheel bearings to remove horrid creak. There's something very satisfying about sorting issues like this.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Took really sweeeet stem on the Prince to try a shorter one.

Realised it looked pig ugly.

Put original one back on.

That was mins of my life I'm not getting back.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 222
    New discs and pads on the CDF and a nice brake bleed. Disks down to 1.46mm in places but they've done in excess of 10k miles with a 100kg lump to stop so I am calling that a win. I think this might be the third set of sintered pads in that time. it gets ridden through all sorts of filth and muck through the winter which can't help.

New SPD cleats on my winter boots and new wear plates on the pedals as they seem to have grooves worn in them. Much more clicky-clippy now :smile:

Bloody glad I've a small stock of 160mm centre-lock rotors here as they seem to be quite rare at the moment.
  • Changed the inner tube on back wheel 3 times on a ride, teach me to use patched inner tubes :D
    Good practice and it was dry and warm at least. New inner tube going now I got back !
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Checked the winter commuter (MTB) over while swapping the tyres from spikes to mostly smooth travel contacts and noted that one of the pannier bolts had snapped...
    Snapped the other one while undoing it, cue an afternoon of swearing, drilling, trying to extract, and eventually stripping the boss.
    Blast.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    i've just setup one of my wheelsets TUBELESS :o am i going to die?
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    itboffin said:

Which tyres?
  • itboffin
    denis992 said:

itboffin said:

Which tyres?
    Hutchinson fusion 5 which i already had on the bike but the non tubeless version, amazing tyres in both forms and the tubeless versions went on super easy with just a track pump to 80 psi, setup both in 10 mins tops

i've not added sealant yet i'm leaving them overnight to see what happens if they stay inflated i'll do a 20 mile out and back san sealant all being well sealant goes in and i'm set worse case i'll pop a tube in there.
  • denis992
    itboffin said:

denis992 said:

itboffin said:

Which tyres?
    Hutchinson fusion 5 which i already had on the bike but the non tubeless version, amazing tyres in both forms and the tubeless versions went on super easy with just a track pump to 80 psi, setup both in 10 mins tops

i've not added sealant yet i'm leaving them overnight to see what happens if they stay inflated i'll do a 20 mile out and back san sealant all being well sealant goes in and i'm set worse case i'll pop a tube in there.
    My Hutchinson made Mavics ride superbly and fitted easily but haven't quite sealed properly yet after a single ride. Not uncommon for tubeless, keep an eye on the pressure! Fitted to Mavic carbon wheels, tried schwalbe pro one and GP5000TL on these rims...absolute nightmare...I had to cut the pro one off and couldn't get the GP5000TL on.

Trying the GP5000TL on a DT Swiss rim...managed to fit without tyre levers. Pumped them up once, not ridden them, only lost 20psi in two weeks. This is the best I have on a newly fitted tubeless tyre and quite hopeful.

The most important thing is keep an eye on pressure. And don't assume if you have a leak it is the tyre. Just as likely to be rim tape or the valve not seating fully on the rim. These issues are likely to show up by air coming out of the spoke and/or valve areas.

The schwalbes all seemed to need sealant to seal the tyre bead to rim interface. The Hutchinson/Mavic needed it but less than the Schwalbe's. The GP5000TL's didn't seem to need any sealant at all.

Really interested in the new Vittoria Road tyre liners for commuting. These could really make tubeless tyres worth the initial hassle.
  • itboffin
    checked them today still at 80 psi 24 hours later, i've ordered some longer valves then i'll do the sealant and see what happens but i'm really happy with the weight and width of the 28c on my Superstarcomponent arc31 disc wheels, they look fab.

ordered 25c to go on my Ultegra wheels which are a bugger to fit a non tubeless tyre too in fact they are so difficult its not worth taking a puncture repair kit because you aint getting those off road side.
  • itboffin
    Hutchinson 25c fitted to the Ultegra total breeze again but get this shimano say don’t use sealant so what is the point of tubeless setup if you can’t seal punctures
  • itboffin said:

Hutchinson 25c fitted to the Ultegra total breeze again but get this shimano say don’t use sealant so what is the point of tubeless setup if you can’t seal punctures

That's really odd - where does it say don't use sealant?
  • itboffin said:

Think of the weight saving benefits on hill climbs with no tube or sealant. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • denis992

itboffin said:

Think of the weight saving benefits on hill climbs with no tube or sealant. ;)
    Or air in your tyre
  • itboffin
    They’re pretty old model now and it states in the dealer manual not to use puncture protection, screw that