hull and surrounding area....

Comments

• quake7.2 wrote:
    Nice pictures, I was at Dalby on Sunday and the riding was fun, in the old snow.

Apparently my mate who went later that day, said that the trails were shut?

What route did you do?

Bet the drive back past Wetwang, etc was bad as the Driffield to Middleton road was shut for a while.

There was a sign at the entrance saying the trails were shut, but when I got to the visitors centre there were a few cars there and Forestry guys wandering around as I was getting ready with bike. They didn't say anything so I just got on with it.

I did the red route to Dixons Hollow and took the road across to join up with the red again near the raised section back to the visitors centre.

Struggled to get out of Dalby.....Didn't make Wetwang, got as far as North Grimston and no vehicle could make it up the hill, so had to go back to Malton and to York. Got as far as Pocklington and joined the cue of traffic for Market Weighton hill...... :( Ended up going to Howden then back to Hull. Left Dalby at 3ish and got home for 2030.
  • Barkey
    Barkey Posts: 339
    Just got back from my parents place in France took the new bike for a spin had a great time.

Tree.jpg
    Trail.jpg
    Trail2.jpg
    Remedy9Rocks.jpg
    Remedy9Val.jpg
  • quake7.2
    quake7.2 Posts: 305
    quake7.2 wrote:
    Nice pictures, I was at Dalby on Sunday and the riding was fun, in the old snow.

Apparently my mate who went later that day, said that the trails were shut?

What route did you do?

Bet the drive back past Wetwang, etc was bad as the Driffield to Middleton road was shut for a while.

There was a sign at the entrance saying the trails were shut, but when I got to the visitors centre there were a few cars there and Forestry guys wandering around as I was getting ready with bike. They didn't say anything so I just got on with it.

I did the red route to Dixons Hollow and took the road across to join up with the red again near the raised section back to the visitors centre.

Struggled to get out of Dalby.....Didn't make Wetwang, got as far as North Grimston and no vehicle could make it up the hill, so had to go back to Malton and to York. Got as far as Pocklington and joined the cue of traffic for Market Weighton hill...... :( Ended up going to Howden then back to Hull. Left Dalby at 3ish and got home for 2030.

Will be going to Dalby on Wednesday morning, if anyone is interested in coming along? Got room for3 extra riders, 2 bikes inside the car and 2 on the rack.

Let me know, as I check this thread daily....
    Thanks
  • Barkey wrote:
    Just got back from my parents place in France took the new bike for a spin had a great time.

Looks like there were a few trails round there, where bouts in France was it?
    quake7.2 wrote:
    Will be going to Dalby on Wednesday morning, if anyone is interested in coming along? Got room for3 extra riders, 2 bikes inside the car and 2 on the rack.

Let me know, as I check this thread daily....
    Thanks

I'm working at College this week, with it being half term. I will have to see if I can squeeze a day off though and get up to Dalby.
  • Barkey
    Barkey Posts: 339
    Looks like there were a few trails round there, where bouts in France was it?

Near a town called Alençon, I mianly ride Forêt Domaniale De Perseigne because the house backs on to it. loads of places to ride all un-maintained, so a bit of luggin bikes over fallen trees and such, great thing is you never run into another sole apart from the hunters who close off a section and are easily avoided. There are loads and loads of other places to ride within an hours drive just zoom out on google maps to see what i mean especially south of Le Mans .
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    great pics by all,cant believe i missed dalby in that snow with bro due to work.....hope to get a ride sorted out in the next week or,if not this weekend maybe weekend after if anyone fancies joining us.......
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Id love to go to dalby havnt been in long time as dont have a car :( YET! . I wouldnt mind going tom Dalby seeing what its like, dont know how ill be in there fitness im not unfit but im just used to riding local in York where i am from so mainly flat. Im wanting to take a look as im moving soon down south all being well. apart from bike what sort thing do u take, do you take any food or does that depend on how long ride is, what about tools etc im asking as lkast time ive been out bounds was properly wa mid 90s when used do epic all day ride with mate and a old bike club and and big gaps when wasnt riding only in last 2 years got back into it again :D
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    a banana and some jelly babies is all I took to eat last time. As for tools - patches, pump, tyre levers and a multitool packed in my hyrdation pack. We didnt do the complete red route, but cut it down to about 17 miles
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Turrican
    im sure i can handle 17 miles and can carry bananas, dont have much to carry except small tool no spare inners yet or pump, well got thick inner tubes in any way sick of pince flats and thorns, gimme bell if any one is head to dalby as would like to have ago before i end up moving away from area. :D
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

• shaun23
    shaun23 Posts: 159
    hi,

i'm trying to get back into proper mountain biking again

anybody got a spare MTB and going up to dalby thursday/friday and willing to take me. (will be 16 on thursday :D ). I live in York, anybody passing through on A64 maybe?Have done black route before (not too fast obviously!) but my bike just isn't good enough, had to hire one of their Kona hardtails (loved it!) and would love somebody to lend me a bike as I can't afford to hire one!

Shaun
  • So what was Dalby like today then Quake7.2? Had all the snow melted and made it proper slushy, or was it all just good riding?
  • quake7.2
    So what was Dalby like today then Quake7.2? Had all the snow melted and made it proper slushy, or was it all just good riding?

Hi I went yesterday and the official line was that the red run was closed. The run past ape escape was still slippy with hard packed snow.
    I had to come home as I buckled my wheel!
    Will be going at the weekend now, if anyone is interested....

Darren
  • altern_8
    Capt Yeti wrote:
    Id love to go to dalby havnt been in long time as dont have a car :( YET! . I wouldnt mind going tom Dalby seeing what its like, dont know how ill be in there fitness im not unfit but im just used to riding local in York where i am from so mainly flat. Im wanting to take a look as im moving soon down south all being well. apart from bike what sort thing do u take, do you take any food or does that depend on how long ride is, what about tools etc im asking as lkast time ive been out bounds was properly wa mid 90s when used do epic all day ride with mate and a old bike club and and big gaps when wasnt riding only in last 2 years got back into it again :D

well rich9 just about said what you need mate,me and giggsmaster are looking at doing a ride sumwhere in about 2weeks time,give the trails sumtime to dry out after all the rain and snow we have had,we dont mind the odd bit of mud but no point in riding a down hill section if you cant get any speed up.....if we are going to moors we go through york so could maybe pick you up on way if we are heading out that way mate......as long as youre bike has quick release wheels to get in back of car?????
  • altern_8
    quake7.2 wrote:
    So what was Dalby like today then Quake7.2? Had all the snow melted and made it proper slushy, or was it all just good riding?

Hi I went yesterday and the official line was that the red run was closed. The run past ape escape was still slippy with hard packed snow.

Darren

why do you only look at going to dalby mate.....there are plenty of other places to go in yorkshire,fair eneough its a bit longer to get there,but there are plenty of rides out ladybower way and youre only looking at 2 hours tops to get there....think we are giving dalby a miss for a few weeks as the trails are getting to boggy now,need a few weeks of no rain or snow to get dalby back to its best.....we are going to try to find sumthing to ride locally for next two weeks and then maybe look at going to peaks 2 weeks on sat/sunday.........
  • Turrican
    Yeah thats true so many other nice places to ride like moors dales pennines, so Im game if any one is off soon any where gimme bell ill tag along gagging to go out for good ole thrash, i dont have a car though if thats a prob, let me know where and when :)

• quake7.2
    altern_8 wrote:
    quake7.2 wrote:

Darren

why do you only look at going to dalby mate.....there are plenty of other places to go in yorkshire,fair eneough its a bit longer to get there,but there are plenty of rides out ladybower way and youre only looking at 2 hours tops to get there....think we are giving dalby a miss for a few weeks as the trails are getting to boggy now,need a few weeks of no rain or snow to get dalby back to its best.....we are going to try to find sumthing to ride locally for next two weeks and then maybe look at going to peaks 2 weeks on sat/sunday.........

Hi, we go to Dalby only through ignorance, we are not sure of what is available elsewhere....
    We went to a little quarry near south cave, which was a luahg, but very, very snowy and boggy. After we finished there we rode around Brantingham, up a steep hill, mainly road riding....
    We are looking at an expedition at Llandegla in a while. My mate is making a new bike rack off my tow bar, which will take 4 bikes with ease, so will be room for lots of riders and kit!
    Could you suggest any good places to ride?
  • altern_8
    Capt Yeti wrote:
    Yeah thats true so many other nice places to ride like moors dales pennines, so Im game if any one is off soon any where gimme bell ill tag along gagging to go out for good ole thrash, i dont have a car though if thats a prob, let me know where and when :)

like i said mate,prob look at doing dales or moors in about 2 weeks time,hopefully one of our mates might be up for it as well,so ill have a word with giggsmaster and see if one of us can pick you up depending on which way we are heading out...........ill keep in touch mate......
  • altern_8
    quake 7.2>there are loads of places if youre ok driving to them,anywhere from a hour and halfs drive upto 2 and half hours drive away,me and giggsmaster have a lot of rides on disc to view on pc for dales/moors and peaks mate,and also if you get mbr we try a few rides in there as well......Llandegla is a bit far away mate considering what we have just down the road from us....have to try meeting up in kingswood pub one aft for a beer and a chat about routes mate.....see if giggsmaster can bring his laptop to show you what rides are out there mate.........we try to find some good rides on discs depending on how weather is going to be,anywhere from 15-25 miles,and we have done most in between,we have a good knowledge of what is out there,being riding for about 10 years now...............

dont mind doing dalby but when its like it is at mo there is no point when you can get some good rides a bit further a field mate,gets a bit boring dalby going week after week.....
  • quake7.2
    altern_8 wrote:
    quake 7.2>there are loads of places if youre ok driving to them,anywhere from a hour and halfs drive upto 2 and half hours drive away,me and giggsmaster have a lot of rides on disc to view on pc for dales/moors and peaks mate,and also if you get mbr we try a few rides in there as well......Llandegla is a bit far away mate considering what we have just down the road from us....have to try meeting up in kingswood pub one aft for a beer and a chat about routes mate.....see if giggsmaster can bring his laptop to show you what rides are out there mate.........we try to find some good rides on discs depending on how weather is going to be,anywhere from 15-25 miles,and we have done most in between,we have a good knowledge of what is out there,being riding for about 10 years now...............

dont mind doing dalby but when its like it is at mo there is no point when you can get some good rides a bit further a field mate,gets a bit boring dalby going week after week.....

Pub? Sounds like a plan! We can come anytime after 5pm during the week.....
  • Rory T
    Rory T Posts: 116
    Used to live in the Sutton Park area so not far from kingswood, however just moved to hessle, have been looking for a group for ages but so far unsuccessful, havnt been riding very long, about a year to be fair but have been lookin for a group a folks that has the same skill level as myself, only been to dalby to ride a couple of times and was thinking of heading to a trail in the dales that was rated by the MBUK trail master that is said to be testing and no easy rides, perfect for building riding technique, problem is cant remember the name of the place.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling but what I wanted to say was if any of you guys come up with any routes anytime soon it would be great to tag along, that is if you dont mind a 21 year old full time worker on your hands.
  • quake7.2
    Rory T wrote:
    Used to live in the Sutton Park area so not far from kingswood, however just moved to hessle, have been looking for a group for ages but so far unsuccessful, havnt been riding very long, about a year to be fair but have been lookin for a group a folks that has the same skill level as myself, only been to dalby to ride a couple of times and was thinking of heading to a trail in the dales that was rated by the MBUK trail master that is said to be testing and no easy rides, perfect for building riding technique, problem is cant remember the name of the place.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling but what I wanted to say was if any of you guys come up with any routes anytime soon it would be great to tag along, that is if you dont mind a 21 year old full time worker on your hands.

Hi rory, you are welcome to come along with us to Dalby, there is plenty of room in the car....
    You probably are fitter that my mate and I!!!!!
    Just give us a shout if you fancy it, we go most sundays - fairly early...
  • Rory T
    Hey Quake 7.2, great of you to offer the ride to dalby and the fact you say you go to dalby most sundays sounds ace, would it not make things easier if i make my own way to dalby, im just thinking bout how much room you have for bikes n gear???
  • altern_8 wrote:

I Don't know about us having a good knowledge, altern 8 always gets us lost.... :wink:

Probably meet up for a few beers next week after work and get our heads together for a decent ride in a couple of weekends then.
  • Turrican
    altern_8 wrote:
    Capt Yeti wrote:

like i said mate,prob look at doing dales or moors in about 2 weeks time,hopefully one of our mates might be up for it as well,so ill have a word with giggsmaster and see if one of us can pick you up depending on which way we are heading out...........ill keep in touch mate......

Yeah sounds good to me :), ill keep look out on here too and take it from there i can go half on fuel too so np probs there.

• quake7.2
    Rory T wrote:
    Hey Quake 7.2, great of you to offer the ride to dalby and the fact you say you go to dalby most sundays sounds ace, would it not make things easier if i make my own way to dalby, im just thinking bout how much room you have for bikes n gear???

Plenty of room, buddy, have a big LWB Shogun, so plenty of room in back for a bike, plus our 2 on the rack at the back!
    Besides we have a season pass, so cheaper to go......
    Let me know, might be going this Sunday, you could make it to my house in Kingswood and then head off?
  • Rory T
    Yeah sounds brill im up for that if you decide to go, let me know of the details as to what time to meet on sunday morning, address n things like that. Will send you a private message with me number if you need to send any messages n things. Thanks a bundle Quake, keep in touch. :D
  • altern_8
    Rory T wrote:

now then mate,we are meeting up with quake in kingswood sumtime this week...... to see about a ride in about 2 weeks time,im sure if we get sumthing sorted out quake will be able to pick you up on way as we will be going past hessle.....and hes got more room then us,lol........and noticed youre user name is youre name,and there was me thinking you was rory the tiger in disguise!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • altern_8
    quake 7.2>Pub? Sounds like a plan! We can come anytime after 5pm during the week.....

will sort out a day with giggsmaster to meet up mate,we are at city monday and think we are going bev road to find a pub thats showing city on thursday......so will try to get sumthing sorted out for tuesday/wendsday mate...........did 17 miles of road today,first time for me in 3 weeks,i was well shagged,need to get a few miles in b4 ride in 2 weeks time,lol
  • altern_8
    capt yeti>Yeah sounds good to me , ill keep look out on here too and take it from there i can go half on fuel too so np probs there.

at mo looks like we might be heading to peaks mate which means york is a bit out tof the way as we go down m62 to mate.......ill keep you informed if anything changes tho....we will prob do a ride up on moors soon which takes us through york,just depends on when you are heading down south to live tho?????
  • quake7.2
    Rory T wrote:
    Yeah sounds brill im up for that if you decide to go, let me know of the details as to what time to meet on sunday morning, address n things like that. Will send you a private message with me number if you need to send any messages n things. Thanks a bundle Quake, keep in touch. :D

Morning, dont know if I am registered properly on this forum to receive private messages...

My email is:
    taylord@sentamuacademy.org.uk

We should be going tommorow, well I am always up for it, but it is down to my mate, who's wife is pregnant - if there is a sign of her going into labour..... Should be ok, though as he is desperate to go....
    Warn you - we are both not that fit!! But we always have a laugh!!!
    Darren