hull and surrounding area....

altern_8
altern_8 Posts: 1,562
edited April 2019 in MTB rides
me and bro are after anyone who rides moors/dales/peaks and dalby,who are looking for or to join us on rides.....apply within :lol:

we go every weekend for a ride,and try to do a bit round hull during week,we ride during week near kingswood(hull) :D

Comments

• quake7.2
    quake7.2 Posts: 305
    hurrah! Im from Kingswood as well!

Will be going to Dalby on Sunday, weather forecast is dry and cold, so should be good riding.....
  • altern_8
    well ill keep this going mate for those ppl who live round here......hope to catch up with you for a ride soon mate,even if its just during the week to stretch those legs......
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    Im from Hull but dont ride much xc. I may give you a shout if i ever fancy a ride though 8)
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness
  • Im from Lincoln, I go to Dalby when I can get the lads from work to come but its quite hard!

I tend to pop over to the Peaks, but would be up for meeting you guys for a blast round Dalby! I do and try and get there when I can and my Heckler has not been put through its paces there yet!

ooops my parking pass runs out soon!

Steve
  • Jboy
    Jboy Posts: 34
    I live just north of lincoln and have never been to dalby so would be good to join up with you guys for a blast!!
    Tend to do Sherwood Pines ,Laughton woods alot...... local bridleways and footpaths also,just to annoy the local farmers :lol:
    Cannondale Carbon Rush 4 08
    GT Aggressor 2.0
    Orbea Enol Team Rep
  • Im usually up and around Dalby, with living in Bridlington. Been out from Skidby Mill with Eats dirt and friends and co. Can usually make a ride on a sunday somewhere, been looking to do more rides in the dales, moors and the peaks. However,being a student I can't always go out every week.

Matt.
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • altern_8
    MattHarper wrote:
    Im usually up and around Dalby, with living in Bridlington. Been out from Skidby Mill with Eats dirt and friends and co. Can usually make a ride on a sunday somewhere, been looking to do more rides in the dales, moors and the peaks. However,being a student I can't always go out every week.

Matt.

well give us a shout mate if youre up for a ride and got some free time to do the other rides apart from dalby,me and giggsmaster are flexible on where we go to ride,normally find a route to do on a thursday or friday and then go on a sat or sunday....we normally try to do between 15-20 miles,try to find some easy uphills and great downhills......as long as you dont mind stopping now and again for a chat and a few pics being taken,lol
  • altern_8
    owen_MTB wrote:
    Im from Hull but dont ride much xc. I may give you a shout if i ever fancy a ride though 8)

so what do you normally ride then mate?????

where about you from in hull????
  • altern_8
    stevebrock wrote:
    Im from Lincoln, I go to Dalby when I can get the lads from work to come but its quite hard!

I tend to pop over to the Peaks, but would be up for meeting you guys for a blast round Dalby! I do and try and get there when I can and my Heckler has not been put through its paces there yet!

ooops my parking pass runs out soon!

Steve

well if youre up for a ride in the peaks mate anytime,give us a shout,me and giggsmaster normally go out for a ride every weekend,see my reply to MattHarper mate.......couple of posts above here................
  • altern_8
    Jboy wrote:
    I live just north of lincoln and have never been to dalby so would be good to join up with you guys for a blast!!
    Tend to do Sherwood Pines ,Laughton woods alot...... local bridleways and footpaths also,just to annoy the local farmers :lol:

well even if you want to join up with us on any of the rides i stated mate,give us a shout,like i said in above posts,me and giggsmaster are flexible where we go,the more the better........
  • Hi.

I am from round hull too and been riding with a friend from the bridge to ferriby, melton, brantingham and south cave. We have only been a few times, has anyone got any good routes around there or elsewhere in hull???

I think were going to dalby this wknd, looking like saturday. Would anyone be up for a ride one weekend around this area.,

• Barkey
    Barkey Posts: 339
    Another Hull person here I mainly do the Hessle to brantingham, off to the parents place in france next week :D
  • I was thinking of going to Dalby this week, hoping it was going to be icy and full of snow, but I aint been able to get time off work. Had a couple of hours spare yesterday, so did a road ride from Kingswood, down Wawne Road through to Beverley then onto Walkington and back through Cott and home.

What are the trails around Brantingham like at the mo, are the rideable or just boggy?
  • We went to Brantingham a few wks back and it wasnt too bad really. Was boggy in places but the majority of it was rideable. As we got into brantingham we turned left and went passed the church, then turned off the main rode up the hill and that was a nice off road section to south cave. Has anyone got any other good routes around there. I think were definatly doing dalby on sunday.
  • westy27 wrote:
    We went to Brantingham a few wks back and it wasnt too bad really. Was boggy in places but the majority of it was rideable. As we got into brantingham we turned left and went passed the church, then turned off the main rode up the hill and that was a nice off road section to south cave. Has anyone got any other good routes around there. I think were definatly doing dalby on sunday.

As Altern8 says at the top of the thread, we usually head out of this area for the riding off road, only because we didnt think there would be any decent riding around Hull area. The only off road I do around here is either the Hornsea Track or River Hull Bank. So is it worth giving the trails you mention a go if we cant be bothered to go further afield?
  • Yes i would defiantly say so. I went from the bridge to south cave and it was about 25 mile all in all....
  • Not thought about doing trails out on the wolds towards Driff/Market Weighton way? Lots of trails around that area, going out towards Millington, Warter, Wetwang, Garton-on-the-wolds etc. However, they are more dry routes then wet ones. Im going to the Isle of Skye biking this month, however thinking of going to Hamsterley or Wharncliffe woods next month, could arrange to have a meet or so?
  • Barkey
    Barkey Posts: 339
    I was up on the wolds on Wednesday melton welton brantingham and had a great time sliding about on the ice and snow, hardly any mud for once even in the worse section man it's great when it's cold .
  • altern_8
    me and giggsmaster have a few routes around wetwang area,but just wondering what its like to ride this time of year......looks like giggsmaster will be replying to posts on here for me for a couple of weeks as i wont be able to get out and ride due to family reasons for a few weeks....so ill let giggsmaster respond to posts on here,giggmaster is ok to go for a few rides tho,just sorry i cant make it at mo.....
  • I have got an OS map for the Market Weighton area, but Altern 8 and me went for a ride round near Warter and it was boggy as anything, so like you say Matt I will probably leave that til dryer times. You will have to let us know when you are up at Hamsterley, will try and make it. Think I will have to get hold of OS map for the Hull area and find them trails round Brantingham though, am going to try and get out there during the week all being well.
  • I have got an OS map for the Market Weighton area, but Altern 8 and me went for a ride round near Warter and it was boggy as anything, so like you say Matt I will probably leave that til dryer times. You will have to let us know when you are up at Hamsterley, will try and make it. Think I will have to get hold of OS map for the Hull area and find them trails round Brantingham though, am going to try and get out there during the week all being well.

Sounds good mate, going to skye on Sunday for the week. We will have to arrange something soon though!

Matt.
  • altern_8
    me and giggmaster are looking at doing dalby night ride this thursday if anyone wants to join us......
  • MattHarper wrote:
    Sounds good mate, going to skye on Sunday for the week.

Matt.

That sounds like a cracking way to spend a week, hope the weather keeps off for ya. I only read somewhere last week about Skye, saying it had some real good singletrack.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 wrote:
    me and giggmaster are looking at doing dalby night ride this thursday if anyone wants to join us......

due to work,i cant make it thursday night,so been called off...sorry to anyone who was going to go.....if anyone,lol
  • MattHarper wrote:
    Sounds good mate, going to skye on Sunday for the week.

Matt.

That sounds like a cracking way to spend a week, hope the weather keeps off for ya. I only read somewhere last week about Skye, saying it had some real good singletrack.

Thanks, no doubt get lots of photos whilst riding, or even if we can't ride. I been before mountaineering and hiking in the summer, never with a bike though! Looking forward to riding down this..

538769355_c9cbae4aea.jpg
    Taken back in 2007 at 4am!
  • Giggsmaster
    Giggsmaster Posts: 632
    edited August 2009
    altern_8 wrote:
    due to work,i cant make it thursday night,so been called off...sorry to anyone who was going to go.....if anyone,lol

Since Altern 8 couldn't make it, I decided to head up to Dalby Thurs morn on my own expecting a little bit of snow.... It was very hard biking, probably due to the snow from a couple of days ago being solid and rutted after a few earlier bike tracks. Still, I did enjoy riding through the fresh stuff which was dropping at a good rate, it made for a nice ride.

I just wasn't ready for the epic of a journey home which should have took me 1hr 15min, but in fact took a whopping 5hrs 30mins, would have been quicker to leave car at Dalby and bike home....

Here are a few shots.

12022009120.jpg

12022009118.jpg

12022009115.jpg

12022009113.jpg
  • MattHarper wrote:
    Thanks, no doubt get lots of photos whilst riding, or even if we can't ride. I been before mountaineering and hiking in the summer, never with a bike though! Looking forward to riding down this..

538769355_c9cbae4aea.jpg
    Taken back in 2007 at 4am!

Don't think I would ever get tired of riding round stuff like that. Definitely beats the flatlands of Hull....
  • quake7.2
    Nice pictures, I was at Dalby on Sunday and the riding was fun, in the old snow.

Apparently my mate who went later that day, said that the trails were shut?

What route did you do?

Bet the drive back past Wetwang, etc was bad as the Driffield to Middleton road was shut for a while.
  • does any one ride near beverley or know of any good riding spots around that area as i am currently at bishop burton college and am sick of not having anywhere to ride by bike other than westwood pasture.
  • quake7.2
    You are welcome to join my friend and I when we go to Dalby.

I will be going during the week..... (Half term)