L&B - Slow jaunt this weekend?

2»

Comments

• geeteewmb
    geeteewmb Posts: 2,221
    Andrew, I know we've already discussed the merits of a nice lawn, so let me say with no shame that I fully appreciate your handy work.

FYI - I have my eye on this bad boy for when I move in September - http://www.qualcast.co.uk/cylinder/classicpetrol.html (Should help me achieve my criss cross effect on a larger lawn!)

<font color="red"><font size="1"><b>"Hopefully everyone will be waiting for me at the top of the climb/descent/flat bit"</b></font id="size1"></font id="red">
  • StuM - WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!

GeeTee - Nice mower. We've got a Honda.

Funny you should mention the criss-cross effect; I had a go at that the other week and it's clearly not as easy to achieve as I'd thought/hoped. Might have to consult one of the forums that StuM's found!

<hr noshade size="1">
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I\'m all out of bubblegum."
  • geeteewmb
    There are a couple of techniques:

If you have a square garden, you can start from one corner, mow in a straight line to the opposite corner and work outward from each side using the first centre mow as a guide. Once you've done that one way, the start from the opposite corner and repeat the principle.

If you don't have a square lawn, then you could apply the same technique as I use:

Pick a corner measure (or pace out) the length of the short sized of your rectangular garden. Say it's 14m. The measure up the long side of your lawn till you get to the 14m mark. (Thus giving you a point to aim at and a 45 degree angle to work with). From here you just repeat the first technique above.

Does that make any sense at all?

<font color="red"><font size="1"><b>"Hopefully everyone will be waiting for me at the top of the climb/descent/flat bit"</b></font id="size1"></font id="red">
  • LOL.
    I seem to remember a discussion similar to this on STW a while back.

Besides for the criss-cross effect, it require the use of a cylinder mower, and a roller.
    Grass get's cut across/length ways with a cylinder mower, then rolled across the way. The key component is the cylinder mower, as it sets all the grass blades in the same direction, unlike a rotary mower that lifts them, before being crushed into direction with the striping roller.

<h6>"Regrets last longer than pain"</h6><b>MTBscotland</b>
    <b>North Shore Freeriders</b>
    New Pics
    Old Pics
  • geeteewmb
    MC, you can get a rotary mower now with a roller built in, the same way you can with a cylider mower.

I just assumed most folk would realise that the roller element (whether attached or seperate) was pretty crucial to the process.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GeeTee</i>

MC, you can get a rotary mower now with a roller built in, the same way you can with a cylider mower.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yup, that's what we've got. Still trying to get my head round the instructions above...

<hr noshade size="1">
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I\'m all out of bubblegum."
  • saz
    saz Posts: 2,189
    Lol at the "Slow Jaunt" thread leading to a discussion about lawnmowers! You'll all be smoking pipes next!!
    I'm just jealous though. My garden has that.....er......natural look!! You cant even cut the grass in september as the whole garden becomes a sea of plums and damsons. Jam anyone?[:D]

<font color="violet"><font size="1">ME AND MY BIKE</font id="size1"></font id="violet">
    <font size="1">my photos</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">sigh....I wish..</font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GeeTee</i>

I know you can,and it's called a striping roller.
    But the whole stripes thing works better with a cylinder mower, as the grass blades all get cut/rolled in a uniform direction, whereas with a rotary mower they get pushed in all directions before getting roughly straightened out by the roller.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    I just assumed most folk would realise that the roller element (whether attached or seperate) was pretty crucial to the process.
    I spent far too much of teenage years cutting grass and repairing lawnmowers, so I do know quite a bit about it. I could dig out the old cylinder mower, and get a nice chess board effect on the grass for the BBQ next month. [;)]

New Pics
    Old Pics
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by saz</i>

...the whole garden becomes a sea of plums and damsons...

...the whole garden becomes a sea of plums and damsons and pretty damsels when Saz and her beautiful daughters are outside!

Witty, huh?[:)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • saz
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by househusband</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by saz</i>

...the whole garden becomes a sea of plums and damsons...

...the whole garden becomes a sea of plums and damsons and pretty damsels when Saz and her beautiful daughters are outside!

Witty, huh?[:)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    You should write novels Andy......[;)]

<font color="violet"><font size="1">ME AND MY BIKE</font id="size1"></font id="violet">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by saz</i>

You should write novels Andy......[;)]

Yeah, and I wonder what type of novels they would be?[}:)][;)]

Dave

<font size="1"><b><font color="blue">My Rocky Mountain</font id="blue"></b>
    <font color="red">Merlin Malt</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">Me</font id="blue">
    <font color="red">Rocky Road</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">My old Giant XTC - Gone forever :( </font id="blue"></font id="size1">
  • Hey - I've got the 'Enhanced' Disclosure Scotland now, don't you know! I'll soon be a respectable member of the community, dammit.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • saz
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by househusband</i>

Hey - I've got the 'Enhanced' Disclosure Scotland now,

Whats that then? Tablets from the dentist that turn your teeth tartan?

• Aren't Hamish and DrStu 'respectable' members of the community? [;)]

New Pics
    Old Pics
  • Of course - disclosure tablets; last time I heard of them was at primary school - twenty-five years ago!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mc</i>

Aren't Hamish and DrStu 'respectable' members of the community? [;)]

Yup - one of the jobs that allows you to sign people's passport photos!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mc</i>

Aren't Hamish and DrStu 'respectable' members of the community? [;)]

Says it all really[;)]

Dave

<font size="1"><b><font color="blue">My Rocky Mountain</font id="blue"></b>
    <font color="red">Merlin Malt</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">Me</font id="blue">
    <font color="red">Rocky Road</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">My old Giant XTC - Gone forever :( </font id="blue"></font id="size1">
  • So, back to the topic. Where are folks headed bearing in mind it will be a little bit soggy.
  • Not even looked at the forecast for this weekend.

If it's going to be wet, think I'll go for the easy option of GT, as at least it'll be rideable.
    Was hoping to get some exploring done, but don't fancy riding through any bogs [:(]

New Pics
    Old Pics
  • I'm with Moray; haven't been to Glentress in ages, and (bearing in mind I'm nursing a hangover this morning; Gary and I went out in Dalkeith last night) I fancy something quite easy and playful!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">