Replacing shifters

Aux1
Aux1 Posts: 865
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm still going to replace my Deore shifters with some Sram Attack ones. So, what's the exact procedure?

I remove the Deores and put on the Srams, pulling the cables through the existing black cable hoses?

When I attach them to the derailleur, do I make the cables tense and then fine tune with the barrel adjuster?

Will I have to cut extra cable after I attach them?

Thanks in advance!

<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007

Comments

• basically yes. might be an idea to check the existing outers and replace as needed.

reread parktools.

oh removing grips can be fun if you do not have lock-ons or a compressor.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
  • Aux1
    Ahh ok! I'll manage...
    So, I have my current working Deores, and when I buy the Srams I'll have everything I need for replacement? No additional parts necessary?

P.s. what is an outer? [:I]

<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • the inner wire is the inner and the outer casing is the outer.

but TBH i would not bother with that attacks. why not go X-7? all it will add to the cost is a rear mech. and you then get the full Sram benifit. Sram triggers and 1:1 pull ratio.

yes you can use your existing front mech with the X-7's.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!
  • Aux1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

the inner wire is the inner and the outer casing is the outer.

but TBH i would not bother with that attacks. why not go X-7? all it will add to the cost is a rear mech. and you then get the full Sram benifit. Sram triggers and 1:1 pull ratio.

yes you can use your existing front mech with the X-7's.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I'm perfectly satisfied with the current shifting, but the problem is that I need to put my brake levers inside and shifters on the outside for better one-finger braking, and I can't do that with the Deore's gear indicators in the way. So the Attacks would be the answers.

Because I do some pretty long descents all the time, and I want to get the maximum out of my brakes, ensure optimum hold with one finger etc., minimize the pain in my arms & hands... Hope this will make a difference for some faster and more comfortable descents!

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • fair enough, another option that i would try first is bigger rotors.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    XT shifters are also worth a look. I find middle finger braking easier since I had these fitted (still getting used to middle finger braking). Shifting is a lot smoother than with Deore an the rear mech won't need changing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guilliano/
  • Guiliano but he will still not be able to move the brakes inboard. Ok the display on the XT's can be removed and a cover put over the hole.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    The display is smaller, allowing a little more movement to find the right positioning. As with sooooo many things it is all about personal preference. If switching from Shimano to SRAM it's worth seeing if you can try a bike with SRAM shifters before swapping.

• Aux1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guilliano</i>

As with sooooo many things it is all about personal preference.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep, I'm trying hard to find that optimal ergonomical position... Being able to hold your bars firmly and comfortably with 3 fingers while squeezing the max out of your brakes for as long as the trail demands is maybe the most important thing when you do descents...

You guys gave me some useful ideas, I'll even give it a shot with middle finger braking (can you get used to it? [:)]) so maybe I won't even need to replace the shifters, I'll see!

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • Aux1
    One more question, can you shift SRAM up to 3 gears at once in the rear, as on Deore?

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • RSMarcowmb
    RSMarcowmb Posts: 83
    When you say it's basically a matter of changing the shifters and threading through the cable, how do you know that the rear mech has been reset to be inline with the shifter position?

Marco

Malt 4
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Aux1</i>

One more question, can you shift SRAM up to 3 gears at once in the rear, as on Deore?

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">yes if not 4.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RSMarco</i>

When you say it's basically a matter of changing the shifters and threading through the cable, how do you know that the rear mech has been reset to be inline with the shifter position?

Marco

Malt 4

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> thats why you have the barrel tensioners. to take up the slack.

also when you remove the cable the mech will go to one end or the other, for normal small cog 9 so you should have the shifter at 9 already (infact they come like that).

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • Aux1
    My mech is properly adjusted now, so if I install the SRAMs and make the cable tense with the barrel tensioner, they should keep on shifting perfectly? No need to adjust the L/H screws on the mech?

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If you're not changing the mech, no need to adjust L/H screws, maybe need to adjust the indexing a little though

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><center><font color="green"><i>Official Forum Potty Mouth 2007</i></font id="green"></center></font id="size1"><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center><font color="violet">My Flickr Album, With <b>new</b> updated bike pics</font id="violet">
    <font color="green">Me & My Bikes</font id="green"> <font color="orange">Orange Bikes</font id="orange"> <font color="blue">Howies© </font id="blue"><font color="black">moredirt photo gallery</font id="black">
    <font color="purple">'05 C2C Pic's, </font id="purple"><font color="red"> Red Bull Soap Box Race </font id="red"><font color="black">&</font id="black"><font color="brown"> Snowboarding Pics</font id="brown"></center></font id="size1">
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Piece of pish swapping shifters

make sure shifters are in 9 for rear 1 for front
    screw barel all the way in then back it off 1.5 full turns
    to allow for index tweeking, connect cable at mech taking excess slack
    out of the cable tighten bolt, make slight adjustment at barrels if indexing
    is not clean

<div align="left"><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1"> <center><b>
    If you ain't doing your own maintenance you ain't nuthin!</b>
    My Fury Pics

My Space</center>
    My Mods:RockShox Reba Team U-Turn Air, Hayes 9HFX XC Brakes,Truvativ StyloTeam GXP CrankSet
    Sram X-9 Shifters,Mavic XM719 Rims,Shamano XT Hubs,Conti Speedkings 2.1 tyres,Shamano XT Cassette,Rhloff SLT99 Chain,V12 Magnisum Pedals,Thomson Elite Seatpost,Selle Italia SLR XC Gelflow sadle,Ritchey WCS Ergo Grips

</font id="size1"> </div id="left">
  • Aux1
    I phoned a bike service shop, and the guy managed to find one front X-9 shifter somewhere on the heap of parts in his store. It was unpacked, but never used. He sold and installed it for me for the equivalent of 27 GBP. I think it's a 2006 model. I'm pretty satisfied with the thumb-only operation, and the lever placement feels just about right now. I might be able to squeeze 10-20% more stopping power out of the front Julie now; just enough to bring me to a full slowdown right in time! Here's the final result. I didn't change the rear configuration, I can still shift OK and the rear brake is already strong enough. It was the front one which I had problems with.

KTM Ultra Flite 2007