Purple Extreme

blazo
blazo Posts: 10
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey has anyone had any experience using Purple Extreme? I thought it looked really good but I tried it last weekend on only a short (but wet) ride and my chain had gone rusty in places the next day.

I made sure I cleaned the (brand new) chain really well with Finishline ecotech and rinsed it. I also left the lube for a few days before the ride. MBUK say to use GT85 on the chain after rinsing - but this is OFFICIALLY classed as a lube (look on the can and the website) and it clearly states on the instructions NOT to use ANY other lubricant with it.

Any ideas if Im doing anything wrong?

Cheers

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    the GT-85 acts as a water dispenser. its not really a proper lube because it washes off. its more like a light lubricant. once you've applied it to remove the water, put some proper lube on it afterwards.

I said hit the brakes not the tree!!
    My GT
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1315543/
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    That is why i use WD-40 as water displacer, not GT-85

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • tenin2wenty10
    tenin2wenty10 Posts: 125
    You should have left the original lube on the chain if it was brand new like you said, it's far superior to aftermarket stuff. Then used the purple extreme when the original stuff needed replacing. The Purple Extreme is much better suited to road bikes though, where it doesn't attract as much dust and water.

<center>-</center>
    <center>-</center>
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I've been using Purple Extreme for a year and a bit now, no problems. I suspect that you might not have used enough - it is an absurd amount of lube that you need to put on the chain; far more per application than any other lube.
    The small freebie bottles they do are only supposed to do one chain.

It doesn't mind old lube, either, it'll dissolve it and wash it out (so you need to reapply sooner).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tenin2wenty10</i>

The Purple Extreme is much better suited to road bikes though, where it doesn't attract as much dust and water.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Wouldn't that make it more suited to MtBs?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">:) README
    [url=mailto:avisforwardedemails@gmail.com?subject=MBUK Moderation]E-mail me if you think i've moderated something wrong[/url] (but don't change the subject or I won't get it)</font id="size1">
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I tried the trial pack of Purple Extreme a little while ago, and my chain rusted too!

I degreased the chain (White Lightning degreaser) and applied the Purple Extreme as per the instructions. One wet commute later, the chain had started to rust. I still have the seconf sample on the shelf!

I've gone back to Finishline Wet for the winter, and am now trying Rock'n'Roll Gold for the summer (which is working exceptionally well thus far!)

<h5><center><font color="black">My Album</font id="black"></h5></center>
  • blazo
    Thatnks for the suggestions - WD40 is also an oil - pretty much exactly the same as GT85 - any water displacement is an oil and hence a lubricant. You say put some proper lube on it afterwards- that is what the question is: I am trying to apply Purple Extreme. I have heard that the original lube on a chain is pretty good, but its pretty sticky and attracts alot of grit. Since Purple extreme say you can get 400miles between applications I'd rather just stick it on straight away. Purple extreme say it is ideal for dirty, wet rides and all the magazines have given it 10/10 so surely they must have tested it and agree with what the manufacturers say. For MBUK to give it 10/10 then say in a separate conversation that they put GT85 on first without mentioning that in the review is completly contradictory.
  • TE
    TE Posts: 4,087
    Thats MBUK for you. Dont use it as a bible, theyre not right half the time.

<hr noshade size="1"><div align="left"><font size="1"><font color="red"><b><u><font color="red">uber sexy <s>laydeez</s> landeez</font id="red"></u> </b></font id="red"></font id="size1"></div id="left"><div align="right"><font size="1"><b><font color="black">H</font id="black"></b></font id="size1"><font size="2"><font color="black"><b>DH</b></font id="black"></font id="size2"><font size="1"><b><font color="black">S</font id="black"></b></font id="size1"></div id="right"><hr noshade size="1">
    <center><b><font color="red"> MYSPAZTASTIC...</font id="red"></b>[V]</center>
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    Use engine oil! One drop in every link and you're done. I never used anything else.
  • blazo
    What are you talking about mate?!
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blazo</i>

What are you talking about mate?!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's all I use! W30 oil. It's used on chainsaws.
    Probably not the best chain lube around but effective enough.
    It's better to keep an eye on your chain and lube it when it needs than to buy expensive lubricants and then forgetting to.
    <font color="blue">http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Chainsaw Oi&lt;/font id="blue">l
  • blazo
    You are both talking rubbish - lubes like engine oil might prevent rust but they attract dirt and grit and wear a chain down faster than without it. Purple extreme doesn't attract dirt or grit - its like a plastic coating. My question was HOW DO YOU APPLY IT FOR BEST RESULTS?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    this is what i do.

i use the muc off chain doc, this degreases and strips my chain, then i liberally use purple extreme, putting a reasonable amount on each link of the chain. leave it overnight, then go ride. but what i do, before i ride, i spin my chain a few times, so the excess spins off. that leaves NO rust, and the chain is silent as for a couple of weeks. then redo it.

<b><font color="red"> MON BICI!!
    myspaz</b></font id="red">