Digital Piano

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,385

My wife no longer plays our acoustic piano due to it being in an open plan room and on the wall that adjoins our neighbour but when we were doing a singing rehearsal at a friend's house last night she commented on how she'd like a digital piano so she can play again using headphones when needed. As I was stuck for any ideas for her Christmas present I've done some research and the best two options in my budget seem to be the Alesis Recital Pro and Yamaha P45. Both get very good reviews with the Yamaha apparently having keys that feel most like an acoustic piano and the more realistic sound whereas the the Alesis has a few extra sound options plus 128 note polyphony versus 64 in the Yamaha.

I'm veering towards the Yamaha due to it seemingly being more like an acoustic piano and being more familiar with the brand that has an excellent reputation but I don't really understand the polyphony side of things and whether it is an important factor. I believe this is the amount of notes that can be output at the same time so if just using the piano 'voice' the Yamaha will play 64 notes, if using two 'voices' 32 notes and four 'voices' 16 notes etc. My guess is it's like megapixels in cameras where people forget that the lower number was more than adequate even in top level kit a few years ago and get that bigger is automatically better mentality. Given that she won't be playing Rachmaninoff and will be using it mainly to note bash when learning songs, basic accompaniment for a choir she runs for a people with learning disabilities and some fairly simple piano pieces 64 sounds to me like it will be ample and going for the option that gives the most piano like feel is the best approah. However, before buying I thought I'd see if anyone on here has any advice as I know there are a few of you far more musically minded than me.

Comments