LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,292

I would also say May could have been a reasonable PM but the Prty had been over-run by the right-wingers by then so she had no chance of doing anything sensible. I feel some sympathy when she gets as much criticism as the 3 that followed. I doubt Thatcher or Churchill could have done anything with that bunch of morons.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424

Both sides of the house tried to screw May over with anything she tried to resolve re Brexit, particularly after her ill though General Election that lost most of her majority.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,965
    edited October 1

It's an echo chamber Stevo, it's pointless. I can see the logic in both parties but some of the people here are Brexit tainted for good.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,984
    edited October 1

May's first big mistake was Johnson as FS. This legitimised him as a big party player and gave him a foothold for the later PM selection. I know why she did it, to appease the Brexit wing, but had she not done so I genuinely believe he would never have been PM.

Her Brexit red lines effectively killed her time as PM, it also led further down the line to Johnson's oven ready turkey and also the expulsion of all those sensible Tory MP's that worked against the harder Johnson Brexit.

Brexit was always likely to ruin the Tory party but the decisions May made contributed to its near destruction and certainly played a huge role in dramatically changing the political scope to the much further right party that exists now.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,208

Is this like that time when you pretended everyone was a fervent Biden supporter?

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635

May doesn't have leadership skills which is why failed.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,801

Not sure: she was given an impossible brief, so I'm not sure if history would have been so unkind if she'd got the job when the party wasn't so divided. I'd not have said Major was an obvious leader, but he seemed to weather a number of storms tolerably.

• Hell of a dancer though, she does a cracking robot.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,051

In her ‘hostile environment’ days pre-brexit, she did appear to be on the right side of the party. Since then she seems to have become much more centrist.

I don’t think she has shifted.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 938

It seems to Gillian Keegan ex conservative Education secretary husband who was the boss of Fujitsu is now admitting to meet Paula Vennells on more than one occasion. He previously applied for a press complaint when a paper said he met her more than once.

He also acted as a government advisor until his wife lost her seat.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Maybe the Tory fanbois on here could get round to filling in the longstanding answer void to that open question: name the top 5 achievements of the Tory GINO, whichever era from Gammonface through to HiRisk.

And fyi, giving a £ multimillion PPE contract to little Hattie Mancock's mate's pub landlord is not one of them.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,842

Here's a link to 10:

And I'll add:

11. Telling Sturgeon to FRO when she asked for a second referendum after she didn't like the result of the 'once in a generation' independence referendum.

12. Getting the UK out of the grip of the over-regulating, low growth EU.

13. Keeping the lefties out of power for 14 years because they would have really f****d it up. That's possibly the most important one.

Now tell me 5 top achievements of the SNP from their time in power 😀

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

. I know you're trying to get one back at Loon, but there's some seriously dodgy use of statistics throughout that article. The police one is a classic: they've added 20,000 officers since 2017, after getting rid of 20,000 before 2017.

Bragging about increasing spending on the state pension is a weird one, too.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

I think that's going to be fact-checked on at least 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9 & 10, all of which were debunked 'statistics' (or just an aspiration, in the case of 8) during the election, IIRC. Seems like the electorate didn't believe Laura Blumenthal either, as she didn't get elected on the back of these 'achievements'.

• Stevo_666

He asked for 5 and he can pick his favourites from the 13 above. I was generous enough to give him a choice 🙂

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

I'm more interested in the SNPs top 5 achievements in power as that will be good for a laugh. Given that their raison d'etre is to get Scottish independence they are a total and utter failure.

Where is lefty fanboy @orraloon when you need him? 😊

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,830

Baby boxes (cardboard boxes with some formula, about a week's worth, no causal link to better outcomes)

Reduced child poverty (its gone up)

Education (they've helped lots of other countries climb the literacy rankings, by selflessly taking one of the lower rankings)

Free uni tuition (which reduces available places for Scottish people, because the unis can't afford enough "free" spaces)

New ferries (over budget by something like 5 times, and delayed nearly a decade)

Dualling of the A9, (which hasn't happened).

Independence (they are closer than ever, apparently)

Free prescriptions (paid for by higher taxes for most people)

Tackle the drug death problem (by allowing people to die as fast as possible - should be running low on addicts by now so the death rates should start falling)

Bottle return scheme (make everyone drive to the supermarket to get 20p back, thereby improving the environment, except it didn't work)

Minimum alcohol pricing to reduce the degree to which Scots drink more than anyone else] (the evidence of it having no effect is so compelling they've put it up again)

Transgender rights (not sure what they think now - depends if you ask the leader or the deputy leader, who isn't keen on it at all, which is fine because her bigotry is protected by faith)

The NHS (which is devolved but still someone else's fault)

They are a fucking shambles.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

Does that list of Conservative achievements really include falling waiting lists?

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

It is absolutely breathtaking how much they have got away with.

The list doesn't include embezzlement, serial breaches of FoI, interference with the courts, rigging their own party and even parliamentary disciplinary procedures, or the exact same abject mistakes made during Covid as the Conservatives, including sending hundreds of typhoid Marys back to care homes.

They are, by any measure, corrupt. But because they are "fighting the good fight", anything goes.

• rjsterry

Badenoch was on Today this morning getting very irritated with people asking her questions about things she had said. The conversation was roughly:

MH:"You gave an example of a small café that had to close because they couldn't afford to pay the minimum wage or maternity pay. Do you think the minimum wage is too high?"

KB:"No, but the general burden of regulation is too high for small businesses"

MH:"If not minimum wage, what areas specifically?"

KB:"I can't talk about specifics just general principles."

This circuit was repeated a few times. Who knows what she believes.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

I find her condescending manner ("Why are you asking such a stupid question?") deeply unpleasant... there's an arrogance there that is unmissable in everything she says.

• First.Aspect

It was pretty striking that she couldn't even put the general shape of a single policy on the table. Just policy aspirations and what "we" stand for, with policies to follow later.

My energy policy is cold fusion instead of wind power. My travel policy faster than light travel and artificial gravity. My immigration policy is zero immigration and all tasks conducted by human like robots so we all have more free time.

As long as we can all agree that these are the general policy directions we want, we can figure out how to achieve them later.

I would actually have been more credible than this morning's interview.

• Stevo_666

I'm disappointed that Orraloon hasn't even acknowledged my reply. Thanks to the rest of the forum for stepping in though 🙂

• Just decided to see what the membership of the Tory party was..... off down a rabbit hole!

They don't publicise it but it seems it is somewhere about 1.5 million and probably less than half that of Labour. Overall party memberships have been dropping for many years but went up in 2022 - reaching a massive 1.5% of the electorate.

And about 15 years ago we had one of the lowest % party memberships in Europe

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2013/05/06/decline-in-party-membership-europe-ingrid-van-biezen/

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

Also, claiming to have introduced the national living wage is a bit of a stretch when this year they removed the main difference between it and the minimum wage that was there before.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517
    Wilier Izoard XP