US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959

What if he changed some of the parameters within the model?

You ever hear the saying, "often wrong but never in doubt?"

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,989

Indeed - haha, just imagining a gin-soaked Dennis Thatcher being prodded by Maggie to say something about his project on, er, gin.

Yes, I'm quite glad that UK PMs' spouses have no direct political input or position in UK politics, unlike FLOTUS in the US. I suspect the spouses are happy with that too.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

To be fair he hasn’t in this case. He’s taken the first few words as verbatim and then ignored the rest as they don’t support that it is identical.

• Pross

My early 90s Ribble is still the same bike I bought. There’s just been relatively few changes like the handlebar tape, gear shifters, chainset, cassette, front mech, rear mech, chain, cables, tyres and tubes (plus a respray)

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Yeah you know best, not the guy writing it nor his model.

• Pross

Who, having said it’s the same model in one breath, admits to having made changes in the next. Why do you find it hard to understand that he has admitted himself he’s change things?

• briantrumpet

"Unchanged" (RC)

However, this prior is revised as polls directly comparing registered and likely voters enters the database. I’ve also lowered the weight on the prior to make the adjustment more strictly empirical. As of this writing, in fact — in late June, 2024 — the prior has been almost entirely phased out, and it will be fully phased out soon.

I’ve also removed a component of the model that we introduced in 2020 based on the Cost of Voting Index, which assumed that Democrats benefited from changes that liberalized voting rights rules and Republicans benefited from changes that tightened them.

There are also a few more detailed changes to handling third-party candidates that I’ve implemented since 2016

I’ve slightly tweaked the formula that the model uses to account for incumbency

These two variables remain, although there is now an additional “tier” of incumbency to account for presidential rematches like the one this year — the assumption baked into the model is that the results are likely to be more persistent in an election where the exact same two candidates are on the ballot. In addition, the model now includes a third variable indicating how much the incumbent party won (or lost) the popular vote by in the previous election, and a constant term. We now also weigh recent elections more heavily in running the regression associated with incumbency, which is derived from elections since 1880.

The model also now includes a ninth component in its uncertainty index, indicating whether one or both parties have nominated the same candidate as in the previous election. 

The model now simulates the results of ranked choice voting in Maine, using a two-step process. The model uses data on voters’ religious affiliation, along with other demographic, geographic and political variables, as part of its process in calculating the correlation in the vote between different states. It now uses more detailed religious categories, with separate breakouts for African-American evangelical voters (as opposed to congregants in predominantly white evangelical Christian churches) — as well as categories for Jewish voters and Muslim voters, who had been lumped with other groups previously.

In calculating the weight assigned to various polls, the model now puts less emphasis on a poll’s sample size

Finally, we have further re-examined the convention bounce adjustment described above. The convention bounce has been modest in recent elections, likely as a result of higher polarization and the 24/7 nature of political coverage. The model now assumes that the candidate who just had his convention will benefit by a net of only about 2-and-a-half percentage points even at the very peak of his bounce.

• rick_chasey

lol this is 100% internet pedantry. If he says it’s the same, I’ll believe him. I’ll help you understand what he means because you guys seem to be really struggling. The changes *are so minor* to the whole model that it’s reasonable and good to suggest it’s the same. If I change a couple spark plugs on my car, it’s not a different car.

And the reason you’re bringing this up is because you’re accusing him of being anti democrat because thiel is one of his investors - which I don’t think is a fair accusation.

• briantrumpet

Ah, OK, you're an expert on exactly how Silver's model works and how minor all these changes are. I didn't realise how comprehensive history degrees were in what they cover in technical detail of opinion polling.

• rick_chasey
    edited September 21

You as much of an expert as I am but only one of us is taking his word for it and it’s not you.

• briantrumpet
    edited September 21

I'm not an expert, which is why when he himself details all the changes he's made to his model I take him at his word that things have changed.

At this point I'm more interested in why you insist nothing has changed, when he details a whole pile of things, none of which neither you nor I can assess to what extent it changes the output. You're ignoring the fact that it is obviously in his interest to sell his own product (whoever is funding him) and give the impression that he has this shiny better-than-everyone-else model that he doesn't have to change (much) because it's so brilliant.

I'd suggest that his 'It's the same model' headline bit falls into that category. It's a bit like calling new Flora Original 'Flora Original' when, actually, the recipe has changed: they want you to think it's the same, even though it does make the toast go soggy now.

• rick_chasey
    edited September 21

If neither of us know if the changes are major or minor why do you just not read what he writes? “It’s the same”

no wonder the modern world is up the swanny with this level of reading comprehension

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

There's a commonly used phrase in SE Asia: "Same same, but different"

Might be of use here

• rick_chasey
    edited September 21

Because I understand that big complex things can have minor changes that barely change things and so are, in essence and practically, the same.

Which is why the bloke who made the model says it’s the same model. If I buy slightly different brake pads on my bike it’s the same bike. Do you say it’s a new bike every time you change your make of brake pad or chain?

Which, in the context of people here accusing him of changing the model materially because one of his investors is Thiel, is what’s relevant.

Not pedantry for pedantry’s sake.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959

The changes he made changed who he predicts will win.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

It’s not the same bike. One might stop better than the other.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049

This little sub-debate may be in the wrong thread

There's only one poll that counts and that's on 5th November.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Have a friend who is now in Boston MA for 6 weeks to look after 2yo grandchild while GC #2 makes an appearance. She is booked to depart USania on 5th November. Not a day too late 😳

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

Lol, you be dying on this hill. You claim it is the same, yet the from the original second sentence on he states it is different, and even when Brian lists a whole loads of tweaks and changes you still claim it is the same model.

And you have a go at others over reading comprehension!

You really are Mr Know it All

• rick_chasey

I do appreciate you acknowledging I know it all 👍🏻.

You still using annuity firms that don’t use actuaries to price them, or have they all gone bust?

• Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    edited September 21

Where did I say that? Actuaries will advise on the rate but they do not decide the final rate offered to the market. Do you not understand how businesses work and make a margin?

It is you, the one with no financial services qualifications who spouts a load of bile and shite.

Even when everyone else points out you are wrong you are too arrogant to accept it.

• rick_chasey
    edited September 21

Haha big words from a provincial IFA.

I’ll let the head of pricing who I placed at a ftse 100 FS firm that some West Country IFA on the internet thinks he needn’t be an actuary when I next see them 🫡

It’s a pity because when you don’t get personal with me, your posting is fairly interesting, but when you get personal you come across like a bully. Trust me, I’ve seen enough of them to spot a c unt when I see one. Can’t help yourself.

Youre the little shit who wades in behind everyone else. No arguments of your own, just leering behind people’s backs. I know the type oh so well.

Genuinely, it’s a bit pathetic. Fair enough if you had the stones to actually argue it, but you never do. You just wade in afterwards when you’re sure enough people are on your side, because you’re not brave enough to do it on your own. The most pathetic and weak of all the bullies.

I do think I’m better than you. Not for any intellectual reason. I just think you’re a weak man.

• Stevo_666

🍿🍿🍿

• rick_chasey

Meh I’m tired of the BS, I’ll leave the forum soon anyway.

I stand by it.

• Stevo_666

You, leave this forum? I'll believe that when I see it.

At the risk of provoking further, I work in a pretty technical area and also deal with recruiters. Unless they were previously in 'the (tax) profession' and moved into recruiting in that sector, then just talking to people like me does not make them experts or anywhere near that. There is just too much to know/understand and even with 30+ years of experience, people like myself are still learning. That, and typically I don't talk tech with them beyond the areas of expertise that we need in a candidate - which is pretty high level.

• rick_chasey
    edited September 21

You barely earn more than the fees I charge.

Might as well ask someone In the conference north what playing in the champions league is like.