New tyres

Currently have the following tyres

Front Tyre: Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 30c

Rear Tyre: Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 30c

on this bike https://www.bikesheduk.com/product/15781/cannondale-cannondale-synapse-tgra-2021/option/?srsltid=AfmBOoqoGi3EmvZS5iNm5NAp7NY-Eusl0Xi5IraYImrlNJpG0_IWJJvL

they are worn out, need new ones but have no clue. Presumably they are cheap and nasty so advice appreciated

Comments

• GP5000.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940

GP5000 for me at least, are the best tyre, but they are not cheap.

Are you planning to ride this bike during the autumn and winter months?

What type of riding do you do on it - just fun Sunday rides, commuting, training efforts, family rides?

Personally my GP5000 bike that I rode on yesterday is unlikely to get ridden many more times this year, before I move across solidly to the gravel bike with 40mm tyres and a bit more in the way of protection.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

I'm not sure a default recommendation for tyres that cost 10% the price of their bike is necessarily the right thing.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

TBF, I rode GP 4 seasons on a bike that was worth about £150.

It's the only thing that stops you from falling off...

• Regarding costs, unless you are going to replace like for like, most half decent tires are going to come in around £25-30 a piece these days. As above, I would pay a bit more and stick something durable on there that will feel a fair bit nicer to ride than a Zaffiro.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174

I went from the basic tyres supplied with new bike to GP4000 (now replaced by 5000). Night and day, I'm never going back to cheapos. They are very expensive now, but last well.

Grimpeur2 - I'm not seeing many half-decent tyres at £25

Merlin got some good discounts on GP5000 (but they're still expensive).

• I was looking at something like a Rubino pro which can be found for around £25. Used them myself in the past and a good winter tire. I agree though, not many options these days.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174

That's a good shout, I've got some on winter wheels too, but forgot about them.

• I've been using Schwalbe Ones for a couple of years now, they seem to be a good compromise between performance, durability and price.

• Just fun Sunday rides really, not able to get out too much at the moment due to young baby so really light touch stuff.

• Current state of the tyres - do they look shot? I’ve had the bike 3 years and they’ve been on from new. Not done hundreds and hundreds of miles.

first one is back, second is front

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Look fine to me from what I can see on a phone.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677

I'd say they are fine too.

I'd also second Vittoria Rubino Pro as a decent durable year- round option which weren't eye-wateringly expensive last time I bought them.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

They look OK to me, I was recommended and use Conti Grand Prix tyres as a good mid-range and have always found them to be pretty good

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited September 19

All depends what you want from your tyres. Zaffiro/Rubino (moderately cheap tyres) will often give more durability (your rear tyre is more worn but not dangerous imo, expected more wear on rears), but to me GP5000s feel so much faster...

The former (and GP 4 Seasons to a lesser extent) feel like riding over treacle, in comparison.

I've still got a 32mm GP5000 on my rear from summer '20, two and a bit years of decent spring summer use before my long covid began and riding became far less frequent.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin

I'm always surprised people notice so much difference in tyre feel. I commute on rubino pros a lot and they certainly don't feel "like riding over treacle" 😂

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin

I've not tried zaffiros and they are the cheaper non folding version so maybe they feel slightly worse. I'm sure an element of it is people convincing themselves their new £50 tyres are a game changer though.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

Well Gatorskins feel like riding on a garden hosepipe, and have about as much grip, because they have no flex.

Changing from that type of tyre to a GP5000 is a world of difference.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 942

I put some of these on my rim braked Alpine wheels and they felt fine. They are currently on my winter bike now and were fine last winter. I have GP 5000s on my best rim braked wheels. If I was being really honest I would say I can’t tell the difference. But I won’t in case Mrs W reads this.😉

• Oops, wrong way round!

First one is front, second one is rear!

The lines that run through the middle are pretty much bare on the rear but still mostly visible on the front. Is this not a sign of wear? Given road bike tyres don’t have much tread, how would i identify when they’re shot?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    edited September 19

Shot when there is an area with no rubber. Or serious cuts. Road tyres do not need a tread, they are mostly decorative.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.