La Vuelta 2024:- Stage 20: Villarcayo – Picón Blanco, 172km ***Spoilers***

2»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892

Barriers ?

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Was that gall or O'Connor?

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

Super ride that.

• mididoctors
  • mididoctors

Mas got a few secs as well as time bonus

• mididoctors

Landa tried ...but was a weekend too far in a very hard race

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

O'connor is 9 seconds ahead of Mas, 58 seconds ahead of Carapaz. Should get second, i think, definitely on the podium..

• mididoctors

Carapaz squeezed out everything thing he had and ends up in a very honest gc position

• mididoctors

Decathlon carrying the jersey for 13 days was instrumental to Bora victory ? : discuss

• mididoctors

Mas tt has improved a lot . Carapaz tt is rubbish

• mididoctors
    edited September 7

Iirc mas beat jonas in Vuelta tt last year ..jonas was a bit post tour knackered I admitt but still

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,606

Skjelmose watch, as obv you've all been waiting for the update

Finished 10th, another mature ride on a day that didn't suit him too well.

Came in same time as Lipowitz and we'll ahead of Rodriguez to keep his grip on white.

Lost a few seconds to the French poseur*, leaving him 30" behind on GC. Think he'll smoke him on the TT

*Everyone is allowed an irrational dislike, ok? Gaudu grits my shit, bit like Pinot/Madiot did

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293

Is it ever? He’s not a rider I think of going off on an attack.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,575

Sorry I meant last year, when he looked to be heading to Movistar.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,494

He was sick at the Tour (with Covid) and came 7th. He wasn't meant to ride the Vuelta but they brought him as a back up for Arensman, who was nominally the Ineos GC leader. He should finish 10th so that's two GC top tens in the same season at just 23. He's not shown an improvement from last year, but I think it's a bit too early to write him off. He won Romandie in the spring, which is a decent GC win, plus stages at both Itzulia and the Dauphine, so he clearly has talent.

That said, I can't see him winning a GT.

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

I can’t make my mind about him. I want him to do well for himself and the team but just find him frustrating.

He rarely attacks, doesn’t seem to have that burst of sustained power. His TT is also poor, something that is needed to win a GT these days.

Three ex Sky/Grenadiers ahead of him in this Vuelta.

However, two top ten GC in Grand Tours in one season isn’t too shabby for a 23 year old.

Anyway, it’s been an entertaining Vuelta, really enjoyed it.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,606

Given the amount of work they did through the stage and the little he did with it, I reckon he owes them a bit more than a quick push 😅

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    edited September 7

He was thrust into leadership into the vacuum left by bernal crash ...but unfair on him I think .. ineos need a rethink

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,903

What's a decent distance out to watch this from today peeps?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
  • I have just watched the entire stage and really enjoyed it all - right up until the final climb.

Happy for Eddie Dunbar, but it was a bit of a damp squib among the GC protagonists.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.