£2.5k endurance bike vs £5k endurance bike

Hi all,

I have a Giant Defy 1 road bike which is about 10 years old. It was about £800 at the time and is absolutely fine. I'm slowly getting back into cycling after a break and feel the urge to upgrade, especially as I have a decent amount of spare cash (compared to 10 years ago!).

About me

I'm a bit of a weak cyclist at present, historically I have done a few triathlons and up to 70.3. I have ambitions to do an Ironman next year. I do all of this alongside weight lifting, so I am built very differently to your usual cyclist - more muscular and broader.

I'm 40 years old and around 5ft 7in tall.

Bikes

I've looked at every brand on the planet (or at least it feels like it!!!). But seriously, I have looked at about 12 of the most common brands from Specialized, Giant, Trek, etc.

I've settled I think on Canyon Endurace although tempted also by Pinarello.

I've limited interest in gravel riding, but I would like the option as I live right next to a huge forest, plus enjoy riding around the streets and woodland on my mountain bike.

I settled on the Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8 AXS Aero which is £5150.

Although I can afford this, I am now concerned if it's just an excessive/ridiculous amount, when a bike for £2.5-£3k would offer the upgrades I wanted?

What I want the bike for

Getting fit

Exploring

Full ironman potentially

Shorter triathlons

Sportives such as Majorca 312 (but the shorter one), plus maybe some in France or elsewhere

Turbo training (although may use my old bike for this still)

Thanks all

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,831

There will not be a measurable performance benefit for the extra £2.5k, tbh. Particularly off road.

Nothing wrong in spending on a nice thing just for its own sake, mind you. Most of us have.

• redrabbit
    redrabbit Posts: 95
    edited August 22

That was my thought - I've seen those rough graphs showing huge benefits in spending £2k rather than £1k and then it flattens out as you spend more and more. Also like you say, sometimes it's nice to just spend something you really don't NEED to, like those who spend money on a car when a £500 one would get them to the same place.

I am most keen on the high quality tyres and the electronic gearing.

Sounds silly but I also really like the look of the one piece carbon handlebars too

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,612

The handlebars are an absolute pain if you don't get your fit bang on to begin with though.

You could fit lovely tyres to a £2.5k bike and be well ahead :)

Is there a £2.5k bike you're comparing to?

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424

You do get a lot of bike for your buck from Canyon in comparison to many other brands.

Personally I'd go for the Shimano di2 version over the SRAM version and save yourself a couple of hundred quid. 12 speed di2 is lovely to have.

If you like it, can afford it then go for it.

Dropping to a £2.5k bike will see a lower tier groupset, your won't get fully internal cables, you will get heavier wheels and worse tyres. On the road you would be able to notice a difference.

• Worth looking at a Scott Addict 20, it comes with full 105 Di2 and it just over £2.5k. Use some of the cash you save to get a set of carbon rims if you want them.

I own one, it is a seriously good bike for the price and you will notice next to no difference between that and something costing £5k.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 938

I afraid I have to disagree especially if the 5K bike is coming in lighter and one would expect it too for the price. Riding a lighter bike feels much nicer.

• Fair comment. I would disagree though, my summer race bike is 6.4kg look huez and the scott is around 8.6kg. The weight is obviously noticeable when you pick it up but it really isn't when riding. To be fair, I appreciate this is subjective though.

Having said that, with disc brake bikes, the weight saving from £2k to £5k is likely to be around 700-800g on total bike weight, so not huge by any means. My addict vs the £5k SE version takes it down from 8.6kg to 8kg.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 938

As you say it’s subjective, my summer to winter bike is similar to the weights you mention above. I notice it straight away even sprinting on the flat never mind on the hills. This despite my winter bike being very rigid and accelerates quite well. As for 600 to 800 grams not being huge, strap a bag of sugar under your saddle and see how that feels.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,831

Electronic gearing is good, there's no doubt. And it is nice to have nice things. Value is relative.

If it wa me I would get the more expensive one, because I'd ride it more. 2.5k more? In 3 months you won't care,.but it will still be a nice bike.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048

My gravel bike is 13.3kg in medium - mines an XL so I imagine ~15kg? Ok it's actually a rigid MTB but it's still fine for tracks and trails.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]