2024 UK politics - now with Labour in charge

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

What you are missing is that they have the long term potential to earn good money, but as ever people seem to want it all now. i know a few medics who are further down the career path and none of them are poor.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

See above. And welcome to the real world where pay does not always go up. It is still a comfortable option financially. If they want more there is the option of private practice for most, in my experience

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Right, so the brightest and best should be responsible and google their expected wages, then just stop whinging if actually that turns out to be nonsense by the time they get there.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Doesn't change the fact that it's a market and other countries are making a better offer.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

😂 they should research their future earnings but also fuck em if real pay doesn't keep track making it a waste of time.

• rjsterry

Most medics do private and NHS work. It's completely irrelevant how well off they are later in their career. Funny how some people only want a free market when it suits them.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

There's always a risk in life. Are you one of these people who expects to get a guaranteed rising income all the through your working life regardless of circumstances?

• Stevo_666

Lifes tough, eh. I never thought I'd hear middle income centre lefties shedding tears for the medical profession.

• Stevo_666

People saying this like its fact. Got any stats on that? Anywhere apart from Australia, which seems to be short of doctors but we don't know why....

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

Most medics don’t do private and NHS as private is it mainly open to senior doctors not the ones on the bottom rungs of the pay scale. Unless the junior ones are private only but then with this choice they aren’t going up the ladder

• Stevo_666

Of those that I know, only one doesn't do private and that's because he lives in potato picking country not too far south of you. I never said private work was an option for junior doctors, but it's something for them to look forward to. If they want to do, they can plan their careers accordingly.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

Obviously in your world of higher wealth you clearly mix with top end of of the medical profession. But in my 30 plus years of actually working in the NHS my experience tells me not all doctors rise to the top because for one the system couldn’t actually cope with this and there is a limit to the number of consultants. Also if everyone was a consultant who would do the juniors work, so for a lot of hard working dedicated professionals the middle ground is the ceiling. So if for them the pay is shit who can blame for buggering off else where.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Nah just funny seeing you change tack after people pointed out your original point was nonsense

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2

I've already posted one above. It's somewhere between a third and half considering emigration depending on which source you reference. Australia is even shorter of doctors so they are buying them by making a better offer. 30 seconds on Google will confirm but you'll have to take your fingers out of your ears to type 😁.

It's also pretty widely discussed that there are significant staffing shortages across the medical profession. Waiting lists for hospital treatment and the difficulty of getting a GP appointment don't suggest a wage-depressing over-supply of medics.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

I heard a GP partner on the radio today explaining that there is not a shortage of graduates, just a shortage of funding for GP practices to hire them.

To me, this sounds a bit "careful what you wish for" when it comes to the itemisation of care that they argued so strongly for when it suited them.

• Stevo_666

Not really as I haven't changed tack. Try harder next time.

• Stevo_666

Im sure a lot of people like the idea of emigrating to some where sunny and will tell you that. But in case you hadn't noticed, a lot of people are trying to come to the UK and I don't have a problem they are are doctors rather than any old random.

• Stevo_666

Yep, the wealthy are correctly anticipating what Reeves will do in her first budget on 30th October and making plans accordingly. Including, for some, leaving the country. Maybe it's time for a re-run of that old tax parable about the 10 men in a bar?

• rjsterry

Keep those fingers jammed in tight.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• My daughter is a 'junior' (32 y old 3-4 more years to get to consultant level) doctor in training for emergency medicine.

She went into medicine because she was interested in it , no real thought about earnings potential - as did quite a few of her peers.

Some of her year went abroad for work/training after the 2 foundation years (you are then a qualified doctor). Most of them are still working in the UK, however quite a few of them have moved to 80% hours contracts because the shifts are pretty bad and they were knackered all the time. They all complain about the shifts and shortage of other doctors which means they end up plugging the gaps, rarely do any of them complain about pay.

The main reason she wants to get to consultant is because the shifts are a bit more civilised.

The big increase in docs pay will also enlarge the pay differential between them and all other NHS staff - their pay has been eroded in the same way over the last 15years.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

I do think workload is something that should be addressed - obviously just going from second hand information lime Vinces post but young people (I call 30s young) shouldn't feel overwhelmed by their workload ona permanent basis. Obviously this would have cost implications

I'd be interested if someone researched the attitude of doctors to their pay/conditions based on their social background. is there a difference in satisfaction between simeone that grew up on a council estate vs someone with a private education? Are doctors that are first or second generation immigrants more or less likely to move abroad than other doctors ? I happened to sit through the Uni of Nottm medical school graduation ceremony the other week and it was very notable that out of roughly 100 graduates only 3 were white males - made me wonder why white boys were not aiming at or being successful at getting into medicine as a career.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

It's actually quite interesting to read the recommendations of the pay review body. Workload and retention/recruitment is in there.

• Stevo_666
    edited August 3

You still appear to be confused by the difference between what people say that will do and the reality.

Also, if Australia is the promised land for medics, why do they have a staff shortage that makes it necessary for them to try and recruit doctors from the UK and elsewhere?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited August 3

Same reasons as why the UK needs more healthcare professionals.

• rjsterry

If you think a significant proportion aren't leaving, where do you think they disappear to?

For reference that's about 20% of the number we train in a year to one destination.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

So basically some of their doctors come over here and some of our doctors go over there.

• rjsterry

Perhaps you'll believe it if the Telegraph says it.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited August 3

Plenty of less stressful jobs that pay more if you’re bright enough to be a doctor.

Not that my mind is wired to be a doctor, I’d forget too much, but say I was, why would I go do a job with brutal hours, lots of night shifts and weekends, where my employer takes me for granted and understaffs everything, so I’m in a position where people are relying on me for their health, all for less than I could get without any of that stress.

Honestly, being a doctor here sounds miserable

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Not shedding tears for anyone, and earn more than middle income.

Life's not that tough either.

Aside from that your post is accurate.