Olympics 2024

Thought we had better have one….

Soccer has started well….

Argentina v Morocco.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

It's okay, the French are really good at policing football.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

By chance I’m in Paris next week for my daughter’s 21st birthday. We arrive after the cycling time trials and leave before the road races. I’m hoping I may be able to watch some of the triathlon though. Hadn’t realised how much the city itself is being disrupted and still not quite sure what impact it will have on my daughter’s plans.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658

I “rode” the Olympics Tri course on a training app, pretty flat. Was fun in a way as I still recognised a few of the locations even though it’s more than 20 years since I last visited.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross

I’ve decided no event should be in the Olympics if it has to start before the opening ceremony.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501

So, if we were going to place a bet on a nailed on GB Gold, where would we put it?

Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
  • laurentian

KH would be my call on the track I think. Josh Kerr also in with a good shout there

Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

There will be some woman trackie who will boss everyone no doubt but I have no idea who they are anymore.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

I really hope Hodgkinson gets it right this year. Her new PB is 1.5 seconds better than Mary Moraa who beat her at the World's last year, which is a massive gap.

I think Kerr seems to have Ingebritsen's number, but he has made bad tactical mistakes in the last two 800m world finals, and I just have a horrible feeing Ingebritsen will get it right this time.

What is Peaty's return form like, haven't heard much since he took a break?

There is a canoe slalom racer, Joe Clarke who is WC in about 3 disciplines, but one mistake in that can cost you, so wouldn't say he was nailed on.

I think Emma Finucane will win a gold in track cycling.

The mens 4 and 8 in rowing are also fairly strong favourites I believe.

The lad that won the modern pentahlon last time, Joe Choong, is also a big favourite.

Will be interesting to see if Pidcock retains the MTB title.

• First.Aspect
    edited July 25

It is one of the great joys about the Olympics to elevate unknown athletes in obscure sports to national fame for around a week, before leaving them to obscurity and an uncertain financial future beyond the age of 30. It is a truly pure sporting festival.

• Pross

Rowing is apparently strong again. I've lost touch with track cycling. Sky Brown is presumably a favourite but a lot can go wrong (same with Beth Shriever in BMX). Alex Yee should be in with a shout and Delicious Orie is among the favourites in boxing I believe although the draw can make a big difference there. KJT if she doesn't have an injury or breakdown of some sort.

• First.Aspect

Is modern pentathlon inspired by It's a Knockout, or was it the other way around?

• laurentian

Just in case this question wasn't rhetorical, I once met a high level pentathlete who explained that the discliplines are all baased on what a soldier would have to do ("back in the day")

Shooting, Running, Riding a Horse, Swimming and Fencing (as in swords not garden borders)

Wilier Izoard XP
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2

The equestrian part of modern pentathlon is always worth a watch. A few of the horses will be absolute bolters who have little regard for the riders and take every available opportunity to try and throw them off like a bucking bronco!

• First.Aspect

I know. Probably had it's day though, don't you think?

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

Surely then the whole event should be finished off with them slapping each other across the face with a glove whilst challenging their fellow competitors to a duel, with the winner then drinking vintage champagne from a coupe?

• Pross

Not sure how often soldiers had to swim in ye olden days though.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Football shouldn’t be in the Olympics. If Olympic gold isn’t the pinnacle for your sport it shouldn’t be included, same goes for golf, tennis and basketball.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    edited July 25

Keely a big favourite without Athing Mu who fell at the US trials. Peaty not favourite but is an absolute beast, wouldn’t write him off. Kerr’s unshakeable confidence will see him edge Ingerbrigtsen. Matt Hudson-Smith is on fire this season in the 400m and has an excellent chance of gold. Molly Caudery the world indoor pole vault champion has a shout but the big name girls are hitting form and she might have to settle for a medal. Dina Asher Smith not setting the track alight this season and Kathrine Johnson-Thompson has little chance if Thiam is fit. 3 track and field golds with the odd surprise silver and bronze would be my bet.

• seanoconn
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

Rather than banning those sports outright, limit entry to those below full pro age?

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2

As he is a local guy, I really hope Matt HS gets a medal, but he does have a bit of a habit of getting it wrong in the big finals. Hopefully he makes me eat that sentiment!

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

Men's football is U23 (with 3 above age players allowed per squad), so I guess you could make the case that this supports its inclusion (I would still personally remove it though).

As someone who played to a reasonable standard as a kid, I can't believe squash isn't allowed in. I know they make the case that there are too few national bodies for it to be representative, but it is a great spectator sport so who cares?

• seanoconn

I don’t have a problem with them being included in an amateur capacity but not sure how that could work, nor only open for juniors.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited July 25

Squash is in for the 2028 LA games (Assuming WADA don't strip them of the right to host)

• laurentian

I agree with the "if it's not the pinnacle for your sport" thing but I do think that in tennis the Olympics is very much seen as the "5th Major" despite it's relatively short time as a full Olympic sport. Rugby Sevens is similar I think. In fact, inthe very short time it has been an Olympic sport, I'd go as far as to say that winning the Olympic 7s is probably is the pinnacle for the sport . . . Golf and Football not so much. I guess the audiences / money that Golf and Football can pull in is probably a large factor in their inclusion.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,533

I think with football the issue is it's miles down the order of prestigious events so it's meaningless.

But that might just be a very anglo centric view.

• Pross

It used to feel like it was prestigious in women's football but their game has moved on so that it is less important I would suggest. I'm not a fan of team sports in general at the Olympics but appreciate that is probably just a prejudice on my part (along with thinking there are way too many swimming events).