Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

To be fair, if there's no CCTV (and presumably no witnesses) then other than any information he was able to give I'm not really sure how you can do a huge amount other than try to trace the phone but I'm sure they'll have moved it on / turned off any location settings.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,525

I'm not sure that makes you sound particularly like a right wing bastard. I think it's amazing that the Tory party have tried to keep their law and order image, despite being a party of law breakers who cut police and justice ...

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    edited July 12

I don't know much about policing, but my hunch is that this isn't a one off, and I'd have thought that getting to know the 'hood and the kind of people who are doing this is part of their job, and maybe even stop them doing it to begin with, but then what do I know.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited July 12

Still not selling it.

I'd have to travel 15 miles to a dodgy city area to encounter what you describe and I live in ££.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051

I suspect like a lot of public organisations quality of policing in a given area is heavily influenced by the quality of the local leadership.

Lack of CCTV does seem like a pretty weak excuse. for not pursuing further.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Jeez, the filthy look Meloni gave It an when his back was turned.😬

Pinnacle Monzonite

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

I don’t frequent here as much as I do but it seems Rick has gone rather cynical than a few years back. Or is that just me?

given the amount of children who are beaten and sometimes murdered by their family the medical profession are on the front line along with social workers and the police. Each service is massively underfunded, doing more with less. If I mess up at work, it’s a few quid. No one gets hurt or has life changing events to deal with.

no one knows the full story here, there’s no validation of what happened, the kid might have been known to child services. Might not , but do you see my point? Staff in A&E are at the sharp end, ever been on a Friday or Saturday night. Drunks, people who have been fighting requiring attention, drug use and not much resource?

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 12

Probably fair. Things generally seem much worse. I wouldn't rate any public service I've ever had to use more than a 2 out of 5. Trains, buses, GPs, hospitals, police, bin collection, schools, potholes etc etc.

It's just a big shower of sh!t. It's unfortunate I've had to use them more than I would like.

In general I think the key to a more comfortable life in the UK nowadays is living a life that avoids having to use public services.

In general there's been a shitification of most things.

Even, totally trivially, google's changed it's algorithm for linkedin, which I use to use a lot and was a really helpful tool. Even that's disappeared up the swanny.

A few things that are better - I enjoy 5g a lot. My steamdeck is 10/10, no complaints, my children are great company, and i love being in charge of my own destinty at work, a lot of people seem to have cut back on the gym so it's quieter, but that's not political ;).

• rick_chasey

anyway, I saw this which was interesting

• Pross

The abortion one feels a strange one to be top of the red lines considering it will affect far fewer people than, for example, scrapping climate change targets.

• Pross

It would be interesting to see the same for the US, I suspect it will highlight how different we are.

• rick_chasey

Liberal on lifestyle, not liberal on immigration.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    edited July 12

The only one I'm surprised by is nationalising ALL major industries but I guess most people are just thinking major utilities and rail not turning us into the Soviet Union.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 892

This.

When I had to do child protection training at work being a mental health worker. In the scenarios they gave us, myself and most my colleagues would have been straight on the phone to social services. However you have to at least suspect a child is being harmed. So they say you should be a bit cautious but most health professionals with any sense if they suspect something they get on the phone.

• rjsterry
    edited July 12

TBF, no party is advocating for totally open borders, so that question seems poorly worded. Ditto 'Nationalise all major industries'. People should be constantly reminded that BR was awful and publicly owned water authorities still dumped sewage in the rivers and around the coast.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,025

I would add that the fact that this story is a news-worthy incident and not a statistical report means it is uncharacteristic?

• rjsterry

On the other hand it does feel somewhat similar to using a pulse oximeter that has been calibrated for white skin.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596

Potentially bad news Rick, they've handed the investigation over to the Met police 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cyj4y4jwgm7t

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,476

It probably means that another element needs to be added to safeguarding training. As much as I loathe having to do all the repetitive stuff every year, stuff like this needs to added (as with FGM a few years ago). Anyone who has done safeguarding training is under no illusions that they must report anything that they have concerns about: it's for those higher up the food chain to decide what to do with it.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607

I dunno, seems like speaking to the dermatologist before arresting her might have been all that was needed.

• briantrumpet

Fair point to an extent, but I'm expected to make assessments about bruises if I see unusual ones, and we don't keep a consultant dermatologist at school for such instances, so it still probably ought to go in the protocols somewhere.

I appreciate you can't legislate for every eventuality, but equally you can ignore issues that come up in the wild.

• Webboo2

As I was trying to say above it’s much easier to apologise for over reacting and offending someone. Rather having to say sorry at an inquest in to someone’s death.

• rick_chasey

Err locking someone up for 20hrs is a bit more than offending someone.

And anyone who’s been with someone trying to breastfeed knows how much more difficult that would have made it.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607

Risk assessment for this kind of thing is hard - my o.h. had to do it as part of her job. But this wasn't hard, all they needed to do regardless of any suspicions was to realise that no harm would come to the child while they were there and let the medical assessment run its course.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,485

My colleague's son managed to break a bone on two separate occasions. The hospital alerted social services the second time, and they visited my colleague's house. This irritated and offended both parents, but on balance I think everyone accepts it is ok to be cautious for the reason you say.

However, there are also cases where the child is taken into care while social services investigate (or the parents are randomly arrested) and this can take a long time. I'm less understanding about this as I think splitting up families is pretty terrible and I have no faith in foster care being safe

• briantrumpet

I'm not sure you have quite got what safeguarding is about. @Webboo2 might have understated it with 'offending someone', but if if you are charged with safeguarding, then you have no choice about reporting concerns, none at all, even if you're not sure. Most cases of abuse are by parents, relatives, and people known to the abused child.

As our safeguarding training stresses "Don't think it doesn't happen here: it does." And that's the reason we have annual refresher courses. And you must not take into account the distress it might cause to the person doing the suspected abuse: that's for others to deal with.

• Webboo2
    edited July 12