2024 Election thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

That might be the thing that finally swings it to them.

• kingstongraham

"What do normal people eat a lot of?"

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

I don't think the conservatives moving to the right necessarily makes the UK more right wing, but people are clearly influenced by what they read and see. The actions of the parties also influence what we see as normal, and ultimately what we perceive to be right/left wing and what we consider to be far left or far right.

I think in 2010 if you'd suggested that the conservatives would introduce price caps to electricity bills, you'd have been laughed at, because clearly it's a far left policy that may have been a bit "left" for Blair.

Likewise some of the rhetoric around Rwanda would have been pretty unthinkable for a mainstream party.

• Jezyboy

Well that's definitely lost my vote, sandwiches just aren't a meal.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited July 3

He should have said Subways, to really show he had his finger on the pulse.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

Well finally I’ve got something in common with one of the conservatives 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

My daughter is pretty excited to vote for the first time tomorrow to the extent we’re going to have to be there at 7.00am as she has to head straight to do some work in Cardiff and won’t be back before the polling station closes. She said all her friends intend to vote to get the Tories out.

I know some are predicting a low turnout due to disillusionment but if that does happen among older voters and my daughter’s friends are representative of their generation it will be even more bad news for the Conservatives.

• Jezyboy

Have to say, the zoomers I know are more politically motivated than my fellow millennials.

• Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

Daughter just really surprised me. She’s never shown any interest in politics other than a hatred of Sunak going back to lockdown and his comments about those in Performing Arts retraining. She just said she’s been looking at policies and really wants to vote for Lib Dem but they only have a 3.6% chance of winning the constituency so she’ll probably vote Labour rather than risk the Tories getting in.

She normally only puts that kind of research into what outfit to wear to the next big event she is going to or in planning for a performance. Her thinking actually echoes mine even though I’d never discussed politics with her before this evening as I feel it’s important for kids to form their own views rather than either doing what their parents would want or rebelling against them.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross

None of that helps reassure that the Tories won’t move further right. There’s not exactly many centrists in that list.

• Pross

Anyway the deed is done, it felt odd putting a cross next to Labour for the first time but it had to be done.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

I’ve put my X next to the candidate I want to leave the house.

That’s right, isn’t it?

• First.Aspect

No, you need to put an X next to all of the candidates you don't like.

• Stevo_666

Persuaded my daughter it wasn't worth voting where we are. She was never going to vote Conservative, so effectively I've voted twice 😈

• kingstongraham

You've raised a leftie?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

She's already voted by post and is just humouring her old man 😛

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

#hopeforthefuture

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

I can't believe you're proud of that. Leave people to do what they think is right.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

My photo ID check happened at the door. Not sure what the point of that is as it wasn't cross-referenced to my name at the counter.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Wife reported that the lady in front of her had been mistakenly already marked as having voted - i.e. they'd previously crossed out the wrong line. This was only an hour and 15 minutes into the day.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

To be fair as you are a Big Bean it was probably fairly obvious who you were....

• First.Aspect

Didn't work for Boris.

• Stevo_666
    edited July 4

I have failed as a parent...although possibly not a total failure as she didn't say she'd vote Labour.

• Stevo_666

I know for a fact that's not true because she's in Liverpool and her postal voting forms are in my in-tray at home 🙂

• Stevo_666

I just gave her some parental advice and offered to send her voting forms up to Liverpool if she wanted to vote 😇

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390

My offspring were 13 and 12 at the time of the EU ref and had shown no knowledge to that point that they lived in a democracy. The ref result was like flicking a switch, and since then they have both become politically very engaged, albeit with different outlooks on life.

Not sure how the elder one might vote, but the younger one "gamed the system" to register to vote in the parental constituency, which is a marginal, rather than her student constituency, where 70% voted Labour last time round.