2024 Election thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited June 13

I would personally like to lobby for no VAT on my charges, so that I can charge more or less the same in total.

I believe that protecting precious innovation is the lifeblood of our economy and.... Oh god even I'm bored.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,533

Don't think about it, just get AI to bash you out some copy

We kindly request that you consider exempting our engineering consulting services from VAT. Here are a few reasons why we believe this exemption would be beneficial:

Essential Services: Our consulting services play a crucial role in supporting infrastructure development, project management, and technical solutions. Exempting VAT would allow us to continue providing essential services without imposing an additional financial burden on our clients.

Competitiveness: Many of our competitors operate in regions where similar services are VAT-exempt. Granting this exemption would level the playing field and enhance our competitiveness in the market.

Economic Growth: By exempting VAT on engineering consulting, you contribute to the growth of local businesses and encourage investment in innovative projects.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

If you don't think private schools, healthcare etc. should exist, then ban them. Bringing in random taxes on education and healthcare just makes a mess of things.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited June 13

Again, whole industries manage perfectly well with VAT applied in a pretty arbitrary way at different rates on different goods and services.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 13

Is a Jaffa cake a biscuit, or a cake?

Let's start with the most important acts of random taxation, and work down to private schools from there.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596

Don't worry, we won't cry when you move house and have to pay an inflated price to get into the catchment area of a decent state school.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509

This would genuinely be funny. 36 seats, mostly in constituencies where is de rigueur to marry a cousin.

OK, so unlikely to happen, but if enough people vote tactically for the sole purpose of ridding us of these turbulent pissers (sorry, not quite an anagram), it could come to pass. Today's manifesto announcement had no surprises, so nothing else really for Tories to aim their mud at, so I guess they'll ramp up their lies, which in turn will cement the distaste for their dissembling antics. Great stuff.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Very presumptuous to assume the head is a he.

She compared the loss of a school at the heart of a community to the loss of a major employer at the heart of a community. The school is by far thew biggest employer in a 5/6 mile radius. Clearly none of you were interested in hearing that the school offers a lot more than academic results - it isn't a high performer on those metrics, but is on the added value - having a large learning sopport unit.

The age from 2 was their nursey - no different from any other private nursey, like the one Rick no doubt has sent his kid to. Many of the nursery kids then went on to the local state primary. It was not a way of getting into the sytem. And if Rick is able to tell that a 2 year might struggle to pass the Common Entrance when they are 12, that's quite a feat.

A large numner of the smaller prep schools are really struggling and either already closing or merging. A 20% hike in costs to parents will put some out of the system.

Finally, I presume Rick spends none of his money on anything educational for his kids.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

Even I don't think it will he that bad. A number of polls seem to suggest 100-120 seat Labour majority, but I think we may well see something in the 150-200 ballpark.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

If the parents can't afford the extra 20%, the school can adjust its offering to cater for the reduced funding available.

• rjsterry

I don't doubt that it's a genuinely a great asset to the local community. Private schools don't have a monopoly on that but they do have a pretty big tax break. Nor do they have a monopoly on having to tighten their belt when the economy is stumbling along on the edge of recession. I'm sure most can put together an emotive argument as to why they should benefit from a tax break. I'm not sure why a private school shouldn't have to make savings to balance their books when state heads have been making savings for the last decade and a half. Nobody wants their taxes to go up but if not VAT on tuition fees then which industry would you hit instead?

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968

"Nobody wants their taxes to go up but if not VAT on tuition fees then which industry would you hit instead?Nobody wants their taxes to go up but if not VAT on tuition fees then which industry would you hit instead?"

One that doesn't have a direct impact on me, obs. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

What's the difference between a prep school and private school?

I'm just a grotty state school graduate, so when I hear "pre school"

I think about balancing book on your head whilst courtesying for the gentry.

• First.Aspect

How does tea her pay and conditions compare to the state sector?

Perhaps another presumption, but I'm assuming private school teachers don't do it only out of a sense of duty.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • First.Aspect

It's almost as though Reform voters are thick, isn't it.

• pblakeney

The obvious answer is if one of those two parties went away then labour wouldn't win.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Love that you thought that letter would convince us, and you're doubling down with the compelling argument that it's not good academically.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome

Yeah. If things were different they'd be different

• Jezyboy

They might not be good academically but they are bloody nice blokes.

• Jezyboy

Nige needs to convince the less popular right wing party to stand down😆

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Pre-school = nursery

Prep School is traditionally year 3 to year 8 ? (2 years after the state sector goes from primary to secondary) but many now will go from year 1

Private schools as a term covers all private schools whatever age kids they take.

I think with regards to the VAT issue, the fairest way would be to phase it in over a nuber of years if it has to happen. That allows the schools to adapt, parents to adapt, and very few kids getting their education messed around with.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

Listening to various podcasts and news pieces where prospective Reform voters have been interviewed, it is abundantly clear that they are Farage supporters and therefore Reform by default, rather than diehard Reform supporters (obviously only a small anecdotal sample).

The interesting thing was hearing several say they wanted Farage as PM but knew that would never happen. I got the impression that some would vote end up voting tactically i.e. Labour (particularly those that were red wall Tory voters) just to get the Tories out, seeing Reform as a wasted vote in their area.

• pblakeney

🤣🤣🤣

Although you'd have to explain how that would be implemented to directly affect me.

Veronese68 wrote: