Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

What on earth is wrong with Bairstow, he looked like he's only just started playing the game and offered nothing.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
  • bobmcstuff
    edited June 10

Agree, Bairstow's offered nothing. He had a pretty lukewarm IPL as well, was it one good score?

Think they got bowling very wrong in the Australia game, bowling Jacks second over was where it started going wrong and after that they were up against it. The bowling's been pretty off in general - that pitch seems to be a 150-160 par pitch so the batting wasn't awful, but they conceded at least 40 too many runs bowling I reckon. Also seen the suggestion Topley would have been a better choice than Wood as well, as the left hander.

It's going to be down to NRR obviously, we need Australia to really beat Scotland... Then we just need to beat Oman and Namibia slightly better than Scotland did, which looks pretty doable for Namibia but Scotland did a really good job against Oman (chased 153 in 13.1 overs), so we'll have to be batting as well as we should be able to for that to come off.

Watched India-Pakistan in a bar in Manchester with a bunch of Indians in last night, I really thought Pakistan were going to do it for ages then. But Bumrah is a force of nature.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited June 10

Pakistan seem to be the only team better than England at the "it's theirs to lose" game. And doing so :)

If, and it seems very possible, England don't qualify for the super 8's then Mott and Buttler are both gone. They have to be. From being defending champions to going out at the first hurdle, again, is a bit beyond embarrassing.

Can't help but wonder if we'd of done better sending the Test team instead. At least I know they can score quickly!

• JimD666
    edited June 10

Bangladesh currently ripping through SA. 24-4 after 5 😯

Oh and SA chose to bat.....

• JimD666

SA hold on to beat Bangladesh. Just.

Been some cracking low scoring games in New York.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Was going to say about the NY pitch, I have read a lot of complaints in various articles about the low scoring games but I've found them very watchable.

• bobmcstuff

Yeah except for the disappointment as I really wanted Pakistan to beat India :D

Only for the schadenfreude.

I was also quite invested in Bangladesh beating SA yesterday by the end of the game. They only lost because of that overturned LBW decision - they lost by 4 runs, but they had overturned an LBW which had gone for 4 byes , and you don't get the runs back if you overturn the decision.

They are going to have to change that rule because at some point, it's going to affect a major game.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

What do you mean? If the on field decision is 4 byes and the bowling team correctly reviews it, then the 4 byes are changed for a wicket.

• JimD666

The ball hit the pads and went for 4, SA appealed and the batter was given out by the on-field umpire. On review it was overturned but, crucially, the batting team don't get the 4 runs back. It's just considered a dot ball.

• TheBigBean

That makes sense. The only thing that could be changed is for the umpire to wait until it is a dead ball before signalling. Not sure how much impact that would have on the rest of the game though.

• bobmcstuff

There's a lot of chatter about getting it changed though as it can obviously make a big difference in a tight game - even the single they normally scramble for could have had an effect there. Then when you consider if it might have been a leg side wide (although you would hope the umpire's not giving leg side wides as LBWs).

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

How far down the leg side does it have to be before being called wide? If the umpire thinks it's hitting leg stump but it is swinging wide of the stumps, should that be overturned and given a a wide?

• TheBigBean

It shouldn't be a wide if it hits someone's pads.

• JimD666

Ripped from CricInfo: (https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/t20-world-cup-2024-scenarios-how-can-pakistan-england-sl-nz-still-qualify-1438051)

"What do England need to do to qualify?

Like in group A, there is one team sitting comfortably in group B, Australia, while England are in a position similar to Pakistan's: they need to win their last two, and hope that Scotland lose their last game, against Australia on June 15. The task is a bit tougher for England, though, as they have far more catching up to do on NRR: Scotland are on 2.164, thanks largely to their win with 41 balls to spare against Oman, while England are on -1.8.

If Scotland lose to Australia by 20 runs (say, chasing 161), England will have to win their last two games, against Oman and Namibia, by a combined margin of at least 94 runs to go ahead of Scotland on run rate. Equally importantly, England will be praying for clear weather which will give them the opportunity to stack up the points and the victory margins because another washout will knock them out."

I may be slightly worried.....

• bobmcstuff
    edited June 11

It is pretty obvious really - because of the washout, it is a straight shootout between England and Scotland on NRR, which is quite easy to calculate (although I did not really understand how it worked before). Unless any other games are rained off - if any more points are shared due to weather then it will all change again.

If Australia beat Scotland by a similar margin to how they beat us, then we simply need to beat Oman and Namibia by better margins than Scotland did. That looks pretty doable for Namibia (where Scotland chased in 18.3 overs so limited NRR benefit), but Scotland beat Oman very heavily (chasing the total in only in 13.1 overs).

If the Scotland-Australia result exactly mirrors the England-Australia result then we need a combined margin of 82 runs (so beat them both by 41 runs), assuming a full 40 overs in each game:

Of course the closer Scotland run Australia the harder it gets for us... If Scotland beat Australia then it's all over, unless Namibia can pull off the (extremely) unlikely and beat Australia as well (leaving Australia on 4 points) - we'd then just have to beat Oman and Namibia (who would you'd think be pretty motivated having just beaten Australia! :D ). Although to be honest if Scotland beat Australia then hats off to them, they'd deserve it - and it would be pretty funny anyway despite most likely knocking England out.

The other thing is the Australia Scotland game (on Sunday) is after England Oman (Thursday) and England Namibia (Saturday), so we won't know exactly what we are chasing.

It's definitely possible for England to beat Oman and Namibia by those kind of margins. They just need to execute properly, and they haven't been doing a good job of that so far.

• bobmcstuff

What's the odds Pakistan can throw this one away 🤔

• JimD666

I think they'll be ok. Tight again though

• bobmcstuff

Unsurprisingly, Namibia did not beat Australia.

The Australia Scotland game could be interesting, Australia are looking pretty dominant - is just whether Scotland crumble like Ireland did against India. Scotland will have the added benefit of knowing exactly what result they will need to beat England as well.

• JimD666

According to Josh Hazelwood (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c2qqlg91yleo) it's in their best interest for England to not qualify for the Super8's.

They may just put out a weaker side to allows some rest for some of their players.

• kingstongraham

What happens if Scotland beat Australia?

• bobmcstuff
    edited June 12

Scotland top the group with 7 points, Australia go through second with their current 6 points. England out.

• TheBigBean
    edited June 12

Note this has no impact on Australia as fixtures for the next round are predetermined.

• JimD666

Then the ICC investigates Australia for putting out the under 11's team 😉

• bobmcstuff
    edited June 12

I mean, that's the quote they chose for the headline, but there's a bit more if you actually read/listen:

"Not too sure really, whether you get close and just knock it around and drag it out," Hazlewood said of how Australia might try to thwart England.

"There's a few options there, but to take confidence from winning and winning well, I think that's almost more important than potentially trying to knock someone else out."

I think it depends what happens - they're a professional sports team and any talk of them deliberately losing is just as silly as when people bring it up in the Premier League.

If they are chasing a total, I suppose that they may decide to take a "safer" option (e.g., chasing 120 at 7 an over rather than 10) - they'll know exactly how many overs they need to take to eliminate England by that stage - but if they bat first I don't see them doing anything other than getting the biggest total possible on the board. Not least because anything can happen in T20, rain/DLS, one of the Scotland team having a really good day - especially if Australia do decide to rest one or more key bowlers.

However if Scotland are chasing that will probably help them as well, as it will be really clear - they will have a firm run target to hit to go through/eliminate England. Could be quite a dramatic game, shame it's in the middle of the night.

• kingstongraham

Usa already losing, then give 5 penalty runs to India for being slow between overs to put the final nail in the coffin.

• JimD666

They would of been nervous after the first couple of overs (probably not as nervous as Pakistan mind) but did enough to win relatively comfortably.

• bobmcstuff

Yeah I thought that was getting close, but there was that dropped catch as well as the 5 penalty runs. Still was closer than it had any right to be before the tournament.

• bobmcstuff

The WI/NZ game sounds like a good one. NZ almost certainly out now - if Afghanistan beat PNG tonight they are done (WI and Afghanistan will both have 6 points, max NZ can get is 4 - by beating PNG and Uganda)

• JimD666

England won the toss, and with absolutely no surprise to anyone are bowling....