Mini tool chain breakers and new style chains.

vincesummerskRoxcBTr
edited May 18 in Workshop

Went to demonstrate to OH how to use the chain breaker on her multitool (she is going on a tour with her friends)

Using a spare bit of 10sp chain, neither she nor I could get enough leverage on the wee tab on the tool to move the pin. The only would be to wedge the tab in something and turn the rest of the tool, which would be really difficult!

Basically makes many multitool chain breakers useless with the modern chain with swaged pins!

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

I can't really see why people carry a multitool.

When I look at my bike, there are two allen key sizes needed to adjust or remove just about everything. If you get into the realms of needing a really small one (e.g. for jockey wheels, brifters etc.), I think you're probably at the "phone home for a lift" stage anyway as the repair can't be carried out at the side of the road (and even if it could, are you carrying all likely spares?).

I carry the two allen key sizes needed and a "proper" chain breaker (and obviously the pins/chain link) - the miniscule size of a spare breaker pin (if thats the correct term) also means that I carry a spare one of those.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Simple, my multi-tool will be smaller, and probably lighter, than what you are carrying.

And it has a tool breaker.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

. . . but will it work?

The reason I opt for the "two allen keys and a chain breaker" over multitool is that I have experienced exactly the problem outlined above - a multi-tool chain breaker not working when needed. I guess if you have a particularly good / high quality multi-tool with an effective chain breaker, you have all the bases covered too.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

I've got a Topeak Hexus and the chain breaker is fine on that, plenty of leverage as one of the tyre levers has an allen key in it to use with the chain breaker, used it many times when out and about without issues. Thankfully not on my own bike.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,670

I've had occasion when out with the group to try to use a multitool that was simply too big to get to the bolt on 1/ A wedge type seat post clamp and 2/ to remove a bottle cage to get to the front derailleur mount on a Giant Defy as it had come loose. These huge multi tools were too fat.

I've a Topeak Hexus as above and it is the right mix of size and usefulness. Also have a proper breaker back in my toolbox at home.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

Can't fault the Hexus, tbh all multitools require an amount of buggeration when in use. Short of carrying individual tools, the multitools serve a purpose. Just need to see if my chain breaker can cope with the new sram 12 spd flat top chain.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

I've got a Topeak one but looks a bit different to the Hexus. I've only had to use the chain breaker once (friend's bike) and it was fine once we figured out how to use it.

My bike might only need 2 allen keys but my multitool gets more use fixing other peoples' bikes which will usually need a different 2 allen keys to mine 😁