Giro 2024:- Stage 17: Selva di Val Gardena – Passo Brocon, 159.0k​m ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Stage 17: Selva di Val Gardena – Passo Brocon, 159.0k​m

May 22nd.

Start Time 11-30BST.

Intense climbing stage with brutal amount of elevation gain despite its short distance. Four huge ascents, 4,200 climbing metres, and the race totals 159 kilometres. The route climbs from the start on the Passo Sella, followed by a flat section in the Fassa and Fiemme Valleys all the way to Predazzo. The peloton will then tackle the 19km Passo Rolle, then the shorter, third category Passo Gobbera. The 13.3km Brocon Pass comes for the first time (eastern side) with around 50km of the stage remaining, and the riders will pass it for a second time (south-western side) to finish the stage.

map

climb detail

final kilometres

The last kilometres are uphill. The steep part of the last KOM, with gradients of up to 10%, ends at 2 km to go, where the road flattens out to slightly over 5%. The last 500 metres are slightly uphill. The final straight is 100 m long and 6 m wide.

Selva di Val Gardena / Wolkenstein in Gröden

Selva Val Gardena is famous for its scenic beauty, outdoor activities and rich Ladin culture with its many unique customs and traditions. Its privileged location offers breathtaking views of some of the most iconic peaks in the Dolomites, including the Sella massif and the Sassolungo group.

Local Cusine

The gastronomic culture of the region is another highlight, and visitors can enjoy authentic South Tyrolean dishes in cosy mountain huts and typical restaurants. The local cuisine offers a delicious combination of intense flavours, with authentic cheese dishes, quality meats and local products. Some of the most characteristic dishes include barley soup ‘Panicia’, potato sheets with sauerkraut ‘Grosti da patac y craut’, mosaJufa‘, D-shaped spinach cakes ‘Crafuncins da ula vërda‘, fruit bread ‘Fuiacia’ and many others.

Passo Brocon

The Brocon Pass is a bridge between the Tesino plateau and the Vanoi valley.

During the summer season, the Brocon Pass is a popular tourist destination, especially for its range of excursions and walks with splendid views. The winter season is all about skiing, with a vast choice of fun activities on the snow, from downhill skiing to snowboarding, from cross-country skiing to mountaineering as well as more family-oriented forms of entertainment. From a historical point of view, the pass was an important strategic point during the two world wars due to its location. Signs of the conflicts, such as underground bunkers and trenches dug by the Austrian militia, are still visible today.

Local Cusine

Malga cheese: the alpine dairymen and shepherds who spend the summer months in the mountains to graze their cows and produce cheese, ricotta and butter are the clearest symbol of the ancient rhythms and deep-rooted traditions of the Lagorai. Malga cheese is capable of bringing back to the palate all the fragrances of high-altitude pastures. Malga cheese differs from mass-produced cheese because it cannot be separated from the territory: the milk from grazing cows has unique organoleptic characteristics that make it absolutely unmistakable.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Forecast is thundery showers tomorrow, but nothing like as cold on the high mountains.

Hope there's at least a bit of clear sky.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Passo Sella has now been upgraded to HC as it's the new Cima Coppi

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

That could make for an interesting start.

Bizarre Movistar-style tactics aside, this is nailed on for a breakaway win, no?

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Unless someone highish in GC gets in the break and other teams control

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Caruso is a decent pick but I think Bahrain will keep him close to the sniper

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Language carnage on The Breakaway. Van Hoydonck getting told of for a story about a rider having a piss then immediately drops an F-bomb and earns another telling off for which he apologises with 'shit' 😂

• mididoctors

Bahrain may send him down the road but an alternative is more likely

Nairo looked a bit nakkered yesterday...

Steinhauser came in rider a very leisurely pace but not near the back struggling with fatigue.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Pog will probably accidentally win after someone 10 minutes behind him on GC attacks on the final climb and he can't stop himself countering.

• mididoctors

I think Rubio was supposed to jump to Sanchez . Didn't happen

• kingstongraham

It looks stunning.

I've got a pic of my bike on Sella as my phone lock screen 😍

• kingstongraham

As the profile above isn't working (for me at least):

• mididoctors

Steinhauser trying to get in the break ...don't let me down

• mididoctors

Nairo

• Pross

That was close - was that the same guy Pog stole the stage from yesterday too? Getting a harsh lesson in the realities of pro cycling!

• Pross

Ineos should have put the hammer down going up there as Martinez didn't look comfortable.

• Pross

Just held on to take it (possibly on the basis that being Italian was the tie-break)

• No_Ta_Doctor

Yes, Giulio Pellizzari. He won the sprint here and goes 2nd in the KoM.

• kingstongraham

Looked like he just took it to me.

• mididoctors

Super super ..super fast

• No_Ta_Doctor

Could really do with some info on the GC group, only about 20 of them left

• Pross

Alaphillipe dressed as a traffic light today.

• mididoctors

This group is real small

• mididoctors

Caruso godamit

• mididoctors

Nairo

• mididoctors

They are dragging pog to finish with all this

• mididoctors

Ineos trying to isolate Martinez

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

It would be really helpful to those not watching if you elaborated on what the said rider is doing to cause your comment. Just giving the rider's name with no context is not helpful!!!!!!

Ta

• No_Ta_Doctor

Nairo

• mididoctors

If any of these GC teams chase back early I will be handing out red cards ♦️