Giro 2024:-Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena (Monte Pana), 202Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Some team buses haven't reached the finish yet, that will be nice for the riders when they finish.

A bit cat and mouse between the jersey group and JA, was down to 20" now back at 46".

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Good stab at it alaphilppe

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Thomas predictably losing ground on the steep ramps.

• mididoctors

G struggling

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Pog just rides everyone off his wheel and only has one left in front. It would be politically sensible not to catch him I feel.

• mididoctors

Pog is insanely a different level

• mididoctors

G getting his diesel ⛽ going

• Pross

Thomas refinding his legs with Arensman waiting a bit having distanced cat killer.

• Pross

Pog in danger of making himself unpopular if he keeps doing this. I know he's well liked but pointlessly overtaking a young home based rider won't do him any favours.

• Pross

Thomas now losing ground again and second place.

• Pross

Pog just looks like someone on a club run, not sure he even intended winning that one. Martinez outsprinted for second on the stage and loses a lot of time. Tiberi finished in front of Arensman in the end.

• mididoctors

G not too far behind m......did he loose his place?

• Pross

Pog gives his glasses and jersey to the young Italian guy he beat for the stage. I feel leaving him out there to win may have been a nicer thing to do though.

• mididoctors

UAE just rode to finish and ended up winning

Movistar?

• Pross

Pog seemed almost apologetic about overtaking but simply couldn't stop himself riding off. He seemed to try to give the guy a chance to stay with him. It's a bit embarassing for all the other riders really.

• Pross

Geraint now 22" behind Martinez and I would suggest the remaining stages favour Martinez,

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Looked a bit like Pog had to win because his Martinez was closing in on 2nd - nice touch to give him the pink jersey though.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross

The time gaps today are pretty surprising considering it didn't seem to really kick off that much in the jersey group.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Move 10mm down the nose works for me. Sitting off centre? 🤔

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

I know Pog’s a likeable young man but I’m surprised at the silence around these performances.

Jumbo/SkyIneos etc have taken pelters in the last few years but Pog seems to be getting very little. Why? This is no different to the utter domination of various teams in the last 20/30 years

• pblakeney
    edited May 21

Simple answer, Pog is not an Anglo.

Same for Roglic, Vingegaard...

Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
  • mididoctors

How is he cheating. And why isn't everyone else if he has the formula ?

• mididoctors

G has to watch behind more now. O Conner took a hit .. tiberi is closer now and maybe has momentum

• mididoctors

Humiliating .... Not great for pog really as the history will say "no real competition"

• pblakeney

You can only beat those who enter.

Did history say the same for Merckx?

Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307

You can see the race in 4k now. Back then it was film and short clips. So Eddie's 1969 rampage was never on camera. We see those races as being somehow mythical but there were long stages where nothing happened. Even in the Armstrong era they would be crossing Midi France on long hot boring stages. Hinault never gave anything away as even his team mate Lemons found out.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

He's not doing anything different really from when he's been getting beaten in the TdF. The field is weak.