Giro 2024:-Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena (Monte Pana), 202Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Looks like a race is starting

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

I've ridden the final climb today, yes, but I'm not basing things on just that, as have ridden many 2,000m+ climbs in bad weather before.

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

Still not sure they'll race today. To say the teams are pissed off is an understatement.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Surely if the first climb was an issue it shouldn't have been difficult to simply start at a suitable point after the descent? It feels like it shouldn't be this complicated. It should give Pog an even better chance of another stage win today.

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

Looks like they're off shortly then.....

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Is it that unreasonable to ride 15km for the sake of fulfilling contractual obligations to tne town ? Sounds like the RCS were annoyed about that and over reacted.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Oh dear, I'd forgotten Blythe was going to be on the Moto.

I hope he's realised we don't think he's the first person to ride pillion on a motorcycle.

Would love it if he manages to continue broadcasting without gloves though!

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Weather looks lovely…..

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

If the peloton are going to be more militant about riding in the cold then the Giro will have to move.

It's up to the uci - either riders are told that bad weather is part of the sport and kit up accordingly or else find a new spot in the calendar for it. Taking out the high mountains isn't really an option for a race in Italy

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

This. Totally.

High mountains in May is a stupid idea in the first place.

Would make more sense to swap with the Vuelta. I seem to think that was once how it was?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Thomas abandons!

Benjamin that is

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

These guys can stay away now please, I've got my velogames team to think about.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Swapping them would make sense on several levels as the Vuelta is prone to very high temperatures in its current slot. I can't see RCS being happy with it though as they would get less interest post Tour and with the Worlds coming up, basically the issues the Vuelta currently faces and that help make it the least rated of the GTs. On the othert hand it might be more likely to attract riders trying to do the double with the 'big one' already done and dusted.

• mididoctors

Rush to the hotel by the looks of it

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Yes, I would be very unhappy with the switching and my love for Italy is only really matched with my bafflement that people think Spain is on a par in terms of landscape, cuisine and culture, and any racing after July feels rather meaningless.

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    edited May 21

This year in particular where there has been a lot of late snow at altitude. Most of the French cols are 1 to 2 weeks late opening. That was clear well before the giro started.

it is one thing to do the final climb in sleet, or ride in Flanders in a bit of snow but descending a mountain pass on icy roads is madness.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors

Plenty of gossip from Blyth

• mididoctors

Tudor were blackmailed into starting he claims

• mididoctors

Movistar believe in Rubio

• mididoctors

Sheffield crash again !

• mididoctors

It's not a long effort compared to his win the other day ...may be harder to bring him back than we think

• mididoctors

Team GC energy

• mididoctors

Nairo

• mididoctors

Pog looks absurdly chill

• mididoctors

Bardet ...nooooooooo

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Dream stage for UAE so far.

• mididoctors

Possivio drifting back

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

What's up with Sanchez's glasses?

Either take them off, or put them on. 🤔

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors

UAE. are finding it hard to give the stage away