Giro 2024:-Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena (Monte Pana), 202Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

It's possible to ride in those conditions with the right clothing but whether you can race it is another thing. There's no doubt the modern peloton are softer when it comes to weather conditions - maybe that's a good thing

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

That was in really good conditions to be fair ... The biggest killer may be speed

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

If you've ever ridden in the high mountains in these conditions, then you are completely supportive of the riders. It's a bike race, not a test of survival skills.

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

It was - I just really don't want another rider dying because 'good telly' though.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

It's worth noting that the Giro has asked to start a week later to avoid this kind of scenario, but the UCI have said as they don't want to put ASOs noses out of joint by moving the Dauphine

• mididoctors

That's not really what I meant ... I don't care where the line is as long as it's objectively measurable as possible rather than a impromptu meet 10 mins before the start

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

You aren't going to get that. There's always going to be a vibe based approach to it.

• mididoctors

Is this race happening?

• mididoctors

Leave the dauphine where it is and over run it ...

• mididoctors

Pog in the pink umbrella

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034

Get them racing up a virtual Stelvio on a fleet of turbos of the same model, then get them leaving outdoor pens according to virtual gaps. ;)

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    edited May 21

I was in shorts and a gilet with no gloves and rim brakes. I'm also crap at descending.

We have races like Roubaix and Strada Bianchi where equipment changes to suit the conditions. There must be bikes and clothing that make descending in the rain safer.

• DeVlaeminck
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

World's changed, man....

(you're right, but the sport that regularly bills itself as the toughest sport in the world refusing conditions that amateurs can ride in isn't a good look).

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

The issue here is the organisation of the changes not the actual changes. There were reports days ago that the first climb might have to be scrpped, you'd think there would be a clear contingency (or multiple contigencies dependent on the actual severity of conditions). If you want to include 2500m climbs in your race at a time of year where passes over 2000m are still prone to heavy snow then get back up options in place well in advance.

• mididoctors
  • mididoctors

When's the last year the entire course has been ridden ? Last year was tough weather wise was a stage cut short though?

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    edited May 21
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kingstongraham

You're still basing your opinion on whether it was raceable from your experience today on a climb that's a) 1000m lower than the Umbrail pass, and b) that they actually are going to ride.

• DeVlaeminck
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

The basic rule of thumb is you lose 1 degree of temperature per 100 metres of elevation gain, so probably a 10 degree difference in temperature. Given it was snowing in Livigno, at 1800 metres above sea level, one can infer that it was well below freezing at the summit of the Stelvio (almost 1000 metres higher).

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Start has gone back a further 30 minutes.

• DeVlaeminck

The San Bernardo pass was taken out - I seem to remember photos suggested it wasn't actually too bad. Guess trusting a forecast can be problematic either way

• mididoctors
    edited May 21

Deleted

• mididoctors
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

It’s currently neither.

I have a feeling that this latest delay has to be the last or it will become stage cancelled.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

I'm not basing on that at all and have ridden the Stelvio in the snow before. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that bike and clothing companies give us the whole 9 yards on how amazing their stuff is, and yet they're seemingly foiled by rain and cold, which are an inevitable part of life in the high mountains. There's a lot of talk about the organisers and how they should have had a plan B for bad weather, but the same could be said for the teams. They know full well that the descent of the Stelvio could be difficult, so why not fit grippier tires and provide riders with warmer clothing? It's like the saying, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment.

• mididoctors
  • mididoctors

Well they are broadcast

• kingstongraham
    edited May 21

I must have imagined you saying that you'd ridden today in the same weather as them.