Splitting cassette to individual cogs?

Hello,

I might know the answer to my own question but just want to check with fellow cyclists.

I have 9 speed cassette (Microshift, 11 - 32T) on Triban RC500. Before Wiggle went into administration, I managed to snatch a new replacement cassette very cheaply (9 speed 11 - 28T, Microshift).

I hardly use 32T but would be nice to have than the extra 12T that comes with 11-28T...

That got me thinking, can I drill and punch out the three pins that hold the cassette as a unit, ditch 12T from the new set and add 32T from the old set to retain 11-32T range...

It's only 9 speed Sora groupset for a commuter bike, so not particularly precious about it.

Any downside to having separated cogs as to being pinned as a unit? Will it add more stress to the freehub splines as the load isn't shared across the range?

Thank you and happy cycling!

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    edited May 21

The pins are there for a reason, and the manufacturer would state that you will definitely die as a result ;)

I am doing just this on a Tifosi 11 speed cassette that I'm putting onto a 10 speed freehub, difference being the Tifosi pins are threaded so I've unscrewed them, "remodelled" the cassette and reinserted the pins. If it doesn't work I'll remove the pins and use it without.

I'll be using on a TT this week, keep an eye on the obituaries.

Although, your 12 sprocket MAY be integral to the cassette as a whole, since it's the 2nd cog.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    edited May 21

I bought a Miche Primato 11-34 11-speed cassette a few years ago from Merlin, because it was cheaper than Shimano at the time.

Iirc all the sprockets are separate, so customising the ratios or simply replacing a worn sprocket is no problem.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Miche should be the go to company for custom cassettes.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • A great, thanks everyone.

The two cassettes I have have the two small sprockets (11 & 12 on 11-28t and 11 & 13 on 11-32t) are loose but the remaining 7 sprockets are pinned. So I thought, I could potentially drill the pin to release 32t and a spacer, add that on 11-28t and have just the 11t loose; that should work.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Should work to a point. Issue will be that your 13t will not have any knurled surface to mate with the lock ring. I think this is doable, but you will need to keep checking it is not getting loose.