Giro 2024:-Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena (Monte Pana), 202Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Definitely a day for the Giro bingo card.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

I'd say if Contador can't continue from Foscagno to drive on the route, the race is probably not going there.

• kingstongraham

O'Connor: "It's probably one of the worst organised races, I think".

• mididoctors

What a cr4p show

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

It's every year and they can't do this . ...it's not like they haven't got practice

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Vegni saying the race will start from Prato Allo Stelvio, at the foot of the descent of the north side of the Stelvio.

• mididoctors

They need a protocol.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

I really don't get why they insist on putting huge mountains in every year then having to take them out. I know they probably see the high mountains being their USP over the Tour but it just seems to end in shambles.

• mididoctors

Stage cancelled energy ?

• mididoctors

Attack while the other teams are in the busses

• mididoctors

This bus farce happened last year

• kingstongraham

I think Sutterlin just hadn't been told what was happening.

Pretty sure we'll get a race.

• mididoctors

Not a lot of haste getting moving to new start

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Bike tech is so good that people can't ride downhill in the rain.

• phreak

They have specific bikes for PR that can cope with the course. There are tyres that can cope with the conditions, the brakes are supposedly much better.

• mididoctors
  • phreak

And the extremely expensive clothing can't cope either?

• mididoctors

Standing around in the cold is not going to help ...

• mididoctors

I do miss the epic madness of Extreme weather racing we would sadistically enjoy ... They cut that Riss MTF in 96 to 40 km because of snow though . It's not entirely new

• phreak

I was up and down a mountain this morning in the same weather as them (I'm here to watch the race), and I have none of the skill, the clothing, or the bike technology that the pros enjoy. As I said, you would describe Roubaix as an extreme conditions race, and they have equipment to cope. With wider tyres, disk brakes, and extremely expensive clothing we're now to believe that they can't ride in the rain.

• kingstongraham

Which mountain?

• phreak
    edited May 21

Pinei, so yes, it wasn't as high as the Umbrail, but also I wasn't wearing winter clothing, which presumably would be an option for them.

• kingstongraham
    edited May 21

So 1,000m lower down then? Currently 11 degrees rather than 2 degrees and snowing?

• mididoctors

It would seem the modern peloton is just not up for it ... I'm not happy the red lines are so blurry

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

It's only a month ago we were watching riders lifted off their bikes with hypothermia, unable to stop shaking, unable to stand - so maybe we can give it a rest the "modern racing has gone soft" stuff?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 21

I don't think the lines were particularly blurry today - it's just bad organisation to decide after the riders are already there. We saw what it was like at 1900m - unpleasant, but not unrideable, but another 600m of altitude, with snow all the way, it's just not possible.