Giro 2024:-Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena (Monte Pana), 202Km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
edited May 20 in Pro race

Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena (Monte Pana), 202Km

May 21st.

Start Time: 10-35BST.

The final week of the Giro d'Italia opens with a stage over the mighty Stelvio. The 202 kilometres route takes in an elevation gain of 4,400 metres, while the finish is situated atop the Monte Pana with its last 2 kilometres at over 10%. It's basically a 3-part stage: mountain, with Foscagno Stelvio (this year’s Cima Coppi, the highest point of the race); plain, from Prato allo Stevio until shortly after Bolzano; mountain, with the ascent of Passo Pinei and the finish in Val Gardena. The stage runs on roads with fairly wide carriageways and in good condition. Of particular note are the Stelvio tunnels (wide and well lit) uphill after Bormio and downhill shortly before Merano.

map

climb detail

final kilometres

The last 3 km are almost entirely uphill except for the short descent leading from the centre of Santa Cristina to the bridge (-2 km) where the final wall begins. Average gradient of around 12% with steep pitches of 16% in the initial part with narrow hairpin bends. The final straight is 100 m long and 6 m wide.

Livigno

A valley more than 22 km long at an altitude of 1,816 metres: here lies Livigno (whose name probably derives from the late Latin word labineus, namely “place subject to avalanches”): a true mountain paradise, both in summer and winter, protected by the Italian Alps. A destination chosen by Italians and international tourists to spend their holidays in pursuit of fun, sport, relaxation and good food.

Local Cusine

The so-called Little Tibet offers a wide selection of bars and restaurants throughout the streets of the pedestrianised centre, as well as alpine huts and inns located in the surrounding valley. The fil rouge of Livigno’s food and wine offer is the quality of the products and the genuineness of the raw materials, meticulously chosen by the chefs to create unique dishes telling the story and traditions of Livigno.

Santa Cristina Valgardena / St. Christina in Gröden (Monte Pana)

Surrounded by flower-filled meadows and bizarre rock formations, this charming town is a place where hospitality and joy of tradition come together in a truly inviting combination. Santa Cristina has just under 2,000 inhabitants, most of whom are active in tourism and know how to welcome the many hikers, cyclists, skiers and families who spend their holidays here.

Canederli

Canederli are Italian bread dumplings that can only be found in the north-east of the country (Trentino-Alto-Adige, Friuli, and parts of Veneto) and are a slightly different variety of Tyrolean knödel. The dumplings are a part of cucina povera due to the fact that they're made with very simple and inexpensive ingredients such as stale bread, flour, milk, and eggs.The name canederli is derived from the Austrian and German knödel, which means dumpling. The most typical way of serving canederli is in a rich broth or in a dry version with melted butter and grated cheese. There are different versions of canederli enriched with speck (canederli con speck), cheese (canederli con formaggio), spinach (canederli di spinaci), and mushrooms (canederli ai funghi).

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles

Ok so I have managed to add the profile now the stage has been posted…

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    edited May 20

Updated profile with the top of the Stelvio taken out:

And the new route:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Strange stage putting the Stelvio in so early and then having 120km of downhill or flat. Add in that the really high passes in the Giro are prone to being dropped due to the weather and it's likely to make the Cima Coppi a damp squib.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Forecast says 2 degrees and wet on the Umbrailpass.

I don't think this stage is going to be much fun.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Nairo

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Has to be the most overhyped GT win since Cunego.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Bullshit. First off, he backed it up with a Vuelta win (against Froome when he was at his peak), secondly, he won that race fair and square and was clearly the strongest. I doubt you could even name who came second without looking it up?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited May 20

Uran but that's only because I really like him, even if he sold his Olympic win.

It was one of the more underwhelming victories I can remember.

• mididoctors

Nairo

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

His vuelta win was better ..let's be honest

• mididoctors

Pog could do easy win this .....the descending may be dangerous I guess ...don't crash pog

• mididoctors
    edited May 20

Dsm up the road early ...bardet attacks on descent in the wet of umbrella pass ...has a rider pace the valley . Goes heroically long .....gets caught 5k from the top though

• blazing_saddles

Let’s have a huge climb and back it up with 120kms of downhill/flat and finish it off with a couple of un Giro like hills.

I am sure this sounded good on paper to someone.

• blazing_saddles

A 3 minute neutralisation at the top of the Umbrailpass for riders to change kit, if the weather is bad.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

I don't think the Giro organisers can win, if they did a bog standard mountain stage with a summit finish, you'd get people complaining it's too formulaic. I think the idea Vegni had in mind is for a GC rider(s) to attack on the Stelvio and get in a group that then had to be closed down by the team of the maglia rosa. Which would be difficult on the road to Merano as it's mainly downhill. But I can't see anyone putting their podium chances at risk with such a move as the chances of success are low.

• mididoctors

It might be quite good ...

• mididoctors

It's the top ten crowd that will try if any at all

• mididoctors

How's that going to work ? Wait till everyone is there then what?

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    edited May 21

INRNG suggesting that they'll go over the Umbrail in team cars. Does that mean that the UAE team car supplier wins the Cima Coppi?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Teams vote to completely remove the Umbrail

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 21

Statement might as well read that the riders voted unanimously for a two day rest day.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

It looks like it is snowing at the top of the Stelvio at the moment. Can't find any webcams for the Umbrail pass though.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Anyone attacking in the wet down from Umbrail Pass needs their head examined.

• blazing_saddles

It’s already given him the Cima Coppi for his last stage win.

• kingstongraham

Could have had a mandatory pizza stop if the Stelvio was still in. Change of clothes, wolf down a pizza, and off you go again. A true test of a cyclist.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Aw. Did I miss out on a good pizza? I waited to get to the hotel in Bormio. It didn't take long. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham

Current view at Stelvio - good luck if the weather is anything like this on the route.