Tadej's Tour of Italy (Giro 2024) Rest day two *SPOILERS*

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

So, any interesting gossip?

What are we looking forward to for the last week?

Weather looks absolutely foul, which could shake things up a bit - though hopefully everyone stays safe

Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

If the sun could shine on stage 17, this will have been a decent Giro.

Realistically, there's a few breakaway stages, couple of sprints. There's always a 1% chance that the double Monte Grappa puts Pog into difficulty, but it's that remote. If he can keep a bit of a lid on his stage hunting, he'll be well set for the Tour.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Better than last year's Giro but that's about it.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Assuming he stays to the end, the GC winner has been inevitable since before it started, but there's only been a few dud stages. As well as Pog, Milan is just on incredible form. So far, to my eyes:

1: Unsuccessful Pog attack. Narvaez stokes him with resentment.

2: Inevitable Pog attack.

3: Unexpected Pog attack. Sprinters' teams laugh.

4: Ganna attack. Sprinters' teams worry a bit.

5: Sprint teams mess up.

6: Alaphilippe misses out on gravel.

7: Ganna has to leave the hotseat at the last minute. Thomas gets told by an interviewer how good the rest of the Ineos team did.

8: An hour to decide who gets into a doomed break. More Pog.

9: Pog does the leadout for another team's sprinter to beat Narvaez.

10: Pretty scenery, the break takes the MTF.

11: Boring sprint stage.

12: Alaphilippe. Amazing stuff.

13: Echelons and then a perfect sprint.

14: TT. Didn't watch it.

15: Awesome scenery. Pog insanity.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Harsh, take out the GC dominance of Pog and there's been some very good racing.

• Pross

Take Pog out of this race and you have a very close GC battle (but a pretty unimpressive one).

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Just a request that someone posts an updated profile of stage 16 to the stage thread.

I have tried to edit in the new profile, but for some reason, this wonderful new forum software ain’t having it.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Last year after stage 15, between GC places 3 and 10 there was only about 3 mins difference, this year it is about 6 mins.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Apparently there is now some doubt about the Umbrailpass tomorrow – the weather forecast for the area is continuous rain, whereby up the top of the pass snow or sleet and temperatures no higher than +2 deg C are expected.

At least the descent that was once compacted, fine gravel, and could be slippy in or after wet weather, has since been asphalted. It was once 13 km long, then reduced to only 2.5 km long, then about 2015 became fully paved.

• No_Ta_Doctor
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    edited May 20

Not many stages is the anon rider in the break remembered. Fantastic.

Famous for coming 9th .

Who remembers the famous four and can name them all?

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited May 20

Honestly, I'm finding this just a touch patronising. I know he's 32 and hasn't had a stellar career, but he's a professional rider, not some 12 yr old by the side of the road

War, Death, Famine and Armstrong?

• mididoctors

Nope

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

Agree although it was obviously staged as he just happened to be the one who opened the bus door. A bit egotistical to give a fellow pro your jersey

• mididoctors

Harmless hocum ...

Well it's better than which hotel was raided by the police

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

The title of this thread is misleading. Tadej's Tour or Italy and the 2024 Giro are two separate races which happen to be taking place simultaneously on the same roads

Twitter: @RichN95