Giro 2024:- Stage 15: Manerba del Garda – Livigno (Mottolino), 222.0km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Stage 15: Manerba del Garda – Livigno (Mottolino), 222.0km

May 19th.

Start Time 9-40BST.

Stage 15 is arguably the hardest of the entire Giro. The route from Manerba del Garda to a mountain-top finish at the Mottoline above Livigno covers 222 kilometres and includes an elevation gain of 5,400 metres. The road climbs at shallow gradients to Casto, where Colle San Zeno, the first climb of the day, kicks in with its 13.8km at 6.6% average gradient. This is followed by a short descent before the riders climb steadily up the Camonica Valley to pass Aprica. To round off an extremely tough stage, the riders will face the Passo d’Eira which with the last 2km climbing up the Mottolino ski slope.

map

climb detail

final kilometres

The last kilometres are uphill. The gradient changes drastically with 2 km to go, after the Eira Pass, where the average gradient remains above 10% although the road has steep ramps interspersed with short, less steep sections. In the last km, the final ramp has gradients of up to 19% followed by a brief, less demanding part and a further “step” that leads to the final 50m straight.

Manerba del Garda

Manerba del Garda is located in the province of Brescia, on the Lombard shore of Lake Garda, and is immersed in the green morainic hills of the Valtenesi. The interior offers gorgeous agricultural estates where the memorable Garda olive oil and D.O.C. (literally Controlled Designation of Origin) wines are produced, as well as horse riding activities, shady trattorias with simple Mediterranean cuisine and beautiful golf courses.

Livigno (Mottolino)

A valley more than 22 km long at an altitude of 1,816 metres: here lies Livigno (whose name probably derives from the late Latin word labineus, namely “place subject to avalanches”): a true mountain paradise, both in summer and winter, protected by the Italian Alps. A destination chosen by Italians and international tourists to spend their holidays in pursuit of fun, sport, relaxation and good food.

Tzigoiner

Tzigoiner is a traditional Italian meat dish originating from Valtellina. The dish consists of thinly sliced beef that's wrapped around a wooden skewer and grilled to perfection. The beef is typically marinated in wine, oil, and spices. The meat is usually seasoned with salt and pepper before it's placed over a hot grill.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

I’ve got a 10k race in Cardiff tomorrow at 11 and promised the wife we’d go for food afterwards. Should really check these things first. That’s a really early start too

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Brutal. Who's not going to make the time cut?

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308
    edited May 18

Proper old school mountain stage. 6 hours? Not far off I suspect

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Grupetto should be okay, would imagine they'll only get dropped definitively on the Mortirolo.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

5400 metres of climbing over 220kms?

Has to be 6 and a half I would think.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Fearsome parcours

Bora are going to do something

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham

That San zeno looks tough enough to me. Two sections of 3km over 8% average? Can't see all of them holding on.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

It depends how hard it's ridden and what happens afterwards. There's 60 kms of valley roads after it, which is plenty of time for a well organised group to get back on.

• kingstongraham

Watching with the sound off - any reason why it wasn't a rolling start today?

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Not that those of us with sound could tell you 🤷

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Break went pretty quickly, leaving Piccolo on a potato hunt

• No_Ta_Doctor

Kicking off again, but the gap has gone out to 1'45"

• kingstongraham

Cofidis decided the stage isn't tough enough, so trying to throttle the break because Geschke isn't in it.

The peloton should just let them all go.

Wood in the break saying his radio conveniently not working.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Cofidis pulling te peloton, but the gap still going out

• No_Ta_Doctor

Piccolo's potato cooked him

• mididoctors
    edited May 19
  • mididoctors
    edited May 19

What's camljames problem?

• No_Ta_Doctor

Yeah, blink and you missed it

Blimey, Calamity Jane is in a foul mood in the break, arguing with everyone, gesticulating, shouting. He's had a go at a couple of riders, the Astana team car and now his own team car

• No_Ta_Doctor
  • mididoctors

This is pretty ambitious from a long way out

• kingstongraham

All over the place already on the easiest climb.

• No_Ta_Doctor

So, current theory is Calmejane wanted a big time gap and a chance of the stage. Cofidis pacing behind due to Geschke, so he tries to tell them he won't go for the KoM points and/or tries to engineer that Geschke can bridge but no luck.

Now there's a huge chasing group, plus Geschke trying to bridge

• mididoctors

Peloton is going to become the gruppetto at this rate

• mididoctors

UAE being sensible on the watts

• mididoctors

LOL

• No_Ta_Doctor

Massive LOL

Calamityjane really hasn't made any friends today. Pithie is nowhere in the KoM, but completely fucked him over

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

You love to see it

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

Is he on glue today?

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mididoctors

Only 100 miles to go