2024 Election thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Unfortunately I think you may be right although in purely technical terms it shouldn't be. I suspect it is more of a mindset issue with those in power thinking 'this is how it was when I was trying to make my way so why should I change it now?' (you may have noticed us old people often take that approach!). I don't doubt that there are jobs that do need to be centralised and wouldn't claim to know anything about the world of global finance. However, it appears to me that someone like a City lawyer is probably working on deals all over the world so why couldn't that work be done from a hub office in Bristol or Leeds just as easily as a large central office in London then just go to London if necessary for those big face to face meetings in the same way they would fly to New York, Dubai or Beijing now? It would hopefully act as a catalyst to improve infrastructure across the country instead of shelving things everytime a Government needs to save a few quid. It would also potentially open up the talent pool with companies able to recruit those they maybe don't want to do the London thing.

Ultimately though things may get pushed in that direction. Living in London will become less appealing when in addition to being unable to afford the house you want you find all the services going downhill because essential workers have been driven out and you can't get a GP, your kids' school is unable to get sufficient teachers etc. or your office is a shit tip because there are no cleaners or maintenance workers.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526

Sure, but if your job is near St Paul's, I presume you are not advocating knocking down St Paul's Cathedral, so where should all these houses be built? Lots of stuff seems to be being built in Colindale, but does that count as near? Alternatively, are you thinking that some greenbelt land can be used? If so, that's not very near.

• Pross

There's all that wasted green space on the Barbican estate and the buildings could be much higher.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644

Hung Parliament on the cards. From the same f*cking paper.

• TheBigBean

If your office is in London, there are around 15m people within commuting distance. If your office is in Bristol that number is a lot smaller. The consequence is that it is harder to find the right people to employ.

• rick_chasey

Well, anywhere that's close really. Central is still pretty big. London is a pretty low rise world city. Doesn't need to be.

• Pross

So have both, scale down the main office - I suspect quite a few people would move if they were able to do the job without being London based. It's a bit chicken and egg though, the people are there as the jobs are there and the jobs are there as the people are there. Rick's example couple from the other day said they were happy to live somewhere else if necessary.

• TheBigBean

I find your thinking on this really muddled. Yesterday, as the representative of £400k earners, you said that none would want a terrace house in Chelsea. Yet today everyone wants to live in a high rise near work. Clearly different people want different things, but there are a lot of new high rises being built in central London. There still won't be enough to allow everyone to walk to work.

• rick_chasey

What's muddled about thinking prices are ludicrous and thinking that more places to live will reduce that?

• TheBigBean

It's where they are going to be built that seems muddled to me.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Do they all have to be in one place?

• TheBigBean

Logically no, but apparently they need to be near where people work.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Build them where people want them. I don't really want to live just around the corner from work, but also not 90 minutes away.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited May 9

Think I might have mentioned that the generally low suburban density means that you can add a lot of housing in Zones 4 and 5 without fundamentally changing their character.

Also golf courses. They take up an absolutely vast amount of space. Half of the 94 around London are owned by public bodies, covering 1600 hectares.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean

I did ask whether Colindale was sufficiently close to the jobs. Lots of building there.

• Pross

Golf courses are such an obvious source of land, I assume they also count as Brownfield as they are developed but not certain on that. Several of the courses around me that opened in the 80s and 90s golf boom are now closed. The argument I heard before if that they provide greenspace but ultimately they are generally only open for members or those paying to play, you can get a lot of housing on each one and still have decent sized open spaces that will benefit the public as a whole.

• rjsterry
    edited May 9

Enough for 300,000 homes around London. An entire year's national housing target.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603

Reality is that they are more likely to be repurposed into public green spaces - as Lewisham council did with Beckenham Place Park golf course near where I used to live.

Also not sure it would really be a great quality of life for all the urban and suburbanites if London became a real concrete jungle.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Yes because golf courses are so walkable for the general public.

• Pross

As I mentioned above it would be possible to get thousands of homes on there whilst still having lots of green space that will be more accessible for the public as a whole.

• rjsterry
    edited May 9

This is the kind of simplistic binary argument that gets trotted out a lot. As if the only alternatives are golf course and 'concrete jungle ' whatever that is. We've known how to do housing with plenty of greenery for the last hundred years at least. Probably improved biodiversity over a golf course as well.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693
    edited May 9

Something has to give, but you personally have a turkeys/Christmas problem when it comes to the amount of amenity you argue that people need.

I'm with you that golf courses are an abomination, mind you. Was at an event at a country club this morning with fantastic views across an estuary. Would be much better enjoyed by the public, instead of elderly wilhite folk wearing plaid.

• Stevo_666

Read my point above about repurposing them, which is what Lewisham council did with the golf course near where I used to live.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Not binary. In the example I gave above, it was repurposed and is no longer a golf course.

• rick_chasey

I guess I could take the train to commute to the park walk too, right?

• Stevo_666
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

The more I think about this, the more I think that building more houses (given the reality of how long they take to build) is not the answer.

It is a pretty well established fact that house prices increase over time in areas where people "want to live".

Periods when house prices decrease historically can be measured in months - perhaps a couple of years and this has never been down to more houses being built as far as I know (which admittedly isn't much when it comes to this subject). House price increases over 5+ years is pretty much nailed on. Imagine for a moment what would happen to the number of house purchases should house prices be forecast to fall at the same rate as they have increased over a few decades. People wouldn't buy, lenders wouldn't lend, and, ultimately, the contracting market would mean that builders wouldn't build.

I'm sure I can't produce a graph to show this, but imagine a line showing house prices increasing over a period of time (not difficulat as this is and has been the reality over many years). On the same graph imagine a line showing the number of houses being built (OK, you'd need two x axes but stick with it . . .) the point at which house prices would start to come down would be the point at which the line of the number of houses being built approaches or crosses the increase in price line.

Surely the question is "can we build houses quick enough to outpace the rate at which existing house prices are increasing?" This may be possible in China (maybe) but here? I really don't think so.

I still think the answer lies to a large extent in restrictions on the amount of mortgage that can be borrowed (say, 4x annual salary) and limiting the number of houses a person or company is allowed to own.

Probably a load of bollocks but that's my thoughts

Wilier Izoard XP
  • rjsterry

You would really struggle to find somewhere in Greater London not within walking distance of a park or other green space.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

If you take the average size of an 18 hole golf course as 45 hectares and set aside 25% of that for green space (which would be an area half the size of St James Park in London) and work on a moderate urban housing density of 70 units per hectare that gives you space for over 2,300 homes.