Giro 2024:- Stage 5: Genova – Lucca, 178.0k​m ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Crash. Foss valter a bunch of others

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Woods

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Another crash, another Visma rider down. Valter down and even Ineos's rider involved was ex Visma rider Tobias Foss.

Michael Woods also down.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

This race and stage are a micro version of Visma’s luck this season.

• Pross

At last, a ‘Viking’ that knows their place 😂

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Milan not happy with Alpecin's lack of help.

Brian Holm's prediction: the break make it now

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Good chase on now - touch and go.

• rick_chasey

So refreshing to hear proper pronounciation of Dutch names from McEwan.

Gap only gone down 10s over last 10km

• mididoctors

It's going to be close

• blazing_saddles

If the breakaway take this, it’s the sprinter’s team that are to blame for how they rode down the initial break.

The result being 4 men who are much fresher being much more difficult to catch.

• blazing_saddles

Cofidis break their duck

• rick_chasey

Good Giro so far this is fun!!

• mididoctors

Yes

• mididoctors

How stage strategy can back fire

• mididoctors

He was always good at that long effort

• Pross

Glad the Polti rider didn’t win. Another very good finish from an unpromising looking stage. Nice to see Valgren back too. Alpecin a victim of killing off half the sprint teams legs mid stage.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

This is already better than last year's giro

• mididoctors

Rivetting from the last bonus sprint

• mididoctors

All the clever tactics undone

• No_Ta_Doctor

Though on the other hand, Valgren just pronounced Magnus Cort Nielsen with a hard G (he was speaking English)

Would have loved to see Valgren take that

• mididoctors

He was out of his depth and played the hand he had ....

• mididoctors

This forum software is utter s**t

• mididoctors
  • blazing_saddles

Tell me about it.

Putting these stage threads together is a nightmare.

• Pross

Groves making completely unfounded claims that the break probably got help from the motos.

• mididoctors
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Groves does tend to be a bit whiney, doesn't he? Perhaps if Alpecin-Deceuninck hadn't ripped everyone else's legs off earlier in the stage there would have been a bit more to work with in the chase, and perhaps if they'd let an early break go instead of a late one the break would have had a bit less.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

You're right, but like Pross wrote above, I'm glad Pietrobon didn't win - he didn't take any turns at the front certainly for the last 10 Km and maybe from even farther back.

I would have liked the young french FDJ guy Paleni to have also passed Pietrobon before the line, because Paleni was the one who led the chase when Pietrobon went at 800m to go, Thomas and Valgren only passed Paleni with 200m left.

• Pross

Yep, he's certainly not Cavendish when it comes to forensic analysis of a stage finish either. He seemed convinced the reason he didn't win was that he was too far back at the bridge with 3km to go. As well as chasing down one break only to enable a fresher one to go Alpecin basically put themselves in a position where the other sprint teams weren't prepared to help out. If they'd kept riding hard after putting others in difficulty it may have made sense or if that hill had been much closer to the finish but as it was it was the wrong tactic for that stage. Not that I'm complaining, I'm always happy to see the sprint teams mess up.