S*** Small Races 2024

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    edited April 27

Carapaz has this sewn up, Rodriguez needs to ride hard to stop Vlasov coming back.

• Pross

Gap closing now, Lipowotz flying but Carapaz just holds on. Great stage. Bernal up there too and Tao. Will be very close on GC between Rodriguez and Vlasov.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,972

Enjoyed that

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,101

That was a really good finale to a mtf

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,899

Ayuso cracking has actually made the GC even tighter.

An interesting last few kms.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Decent race this, benefitting from the absence of the big 2 whilst still having a very strong field with numerous GT winners.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411

Fun finish there

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    edited April 27

Rodriguez leads Vlasov by 7” on GC with Lipowitz only 2” further back. It felt like he could have gone earlier to take both the stage a GC.

• mididoctors
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited April 27

Tao stealthed in there

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411

Tao has always paid his respects to those that went before him. Today it was Zubeldia's turn.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 729

I presume with 'It felt like he' you mean Lipowitz.

I'd guess Lipowitz was under orders, at least until near the very end, to just tail Rodriguez and not get too far ahead of Vlasov. If Lipowitz had gone after Carapaz earlier, on the one hand he may have taken Rodriguez with him (to Vlasov's detriment in the GC) while on the other hand Vlasov may have needed help in the last couple of kms (early on during the climb, Vlasov looked uncomfortable). Only with hindsight is it clear neither was the case.

Eitherway, Lipowitz looks an interesting prospect, promising results the last couple of years. He came to cycling from biathlon where he had occasional top results at junior level, but although thereafter often had good results, he was a bit inconsistent. His sporting background has clearly set him up well physically.

• mididoctors
    edited April 27

There is always these guys at tour of Alps romandie tour of swiss who seem to break through to top shelf. .. Felix gall... Ben O Connor .etc etc

Struggle to get over the hurdle

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143

I thought Ineos rode an excellent stage yesterday, and nicely set up Bernal and Rodriguez to challenge for the stage and GC. Rodriguez repaid the faith the team put in him, which can create a virtuous cycle and pave the way for more success. Their slow start to the season is beginning to seem like a distant memory.

• blazing_saddles

Groundhog Day in Turkey. Second consecutive year that it’s raining and is looking like being neutralised again.

• JimD666

was about to catch up with it, is there any point?

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143

Interesting race situation in the Lotto Famenne Ardenne Classic with 9 riders in the front group; 4 x Lotto, 4 x IPT and Alex Zingle from Cofidis. Still over 100 kms to go, but they are over 3 minutes ahead of the peloton.

• mididoctors

Rain coat low information chaos at tour of Rom

• mididoctors

Ineos caught behind maybe

• mididoctors

No they are not

• blazing_saddles

Now looks as if Ineos are in the peloton

• davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    edited April 29

Don't like posting this here, but La Vuelta Femenina started yesterday with a 16 km TTT. Lidl-Trek won despite a crash in the last corner that cost them about 10 seconds. Top 10:

1. Lidl-Trek 19:20
    2. Team Visma Lease A Bike +00
    3. Team SD Worx-Protime +01
    4. Canyon SRAM Racing +08
    5. EF Education-Cannondale +09
    6. FDJ-Suez +09
    7. Liv Alula Jaco +10
    8. Movistar Team +12
    9. Team DSM-Firmenich PostNL +17
    10. AG Insurance-Soudal Team +32
  • mididoctors
  • blazing_saddles

Maxim van Gils threads himself the through the eye of a needle to win Eichborn-Frankfurt from Movistar’s JJ Rojas replacement, Alex Aranburu.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,372

Big Tour de Hongrie news - Peter Sagan is riding it for Team Pierre Baguette. I was not aware of this team with a great name.

• JimD666

Hadn't even realised he'd left TotalEnergies!

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,372

While we haven't been watching he's left TE and had heart surgery.