Kirkpatrick C2C

Anybody done this route? Am thinking of doing it and was wondering I there is any recommended accommodation at the start and Gatehouse or Kirkcudbright?

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,727
    edited February 15

Missed your post. I'm a local (to Kirkcudbright). What sort of accommodation are you looking for? Hotel, pub, b&b, wild camping...?

• Not camping, so probably pub/hotel. I'm in the Borders so no problem after the D&G part.

• orraloon

Some trad hotels with good food.

Gatehouse of Fleet, Masonic Arms.

Kirkcudbright, Selkirk Arms.

Castle Douglas, Kings Arms.

Not the cheapest but good reputations. I've stayed in the CD one several times, excellent food, big breakfast!, Dave and Pauline the owners v friendly, and they have a bike store.

I've asked locals for some suggestions, there are b&b's around.

• orraloon

Been informed the Selkirk Arms also has secure bike storage, along with another rec for the food. 😊

• Excellent, thanks.

Got a friend over from NZ wanted to do a tour through Southern Scotland so I thought this would be quite a good choice.

• All booked, just a few days of sunshine left to arrange 😬

• I wondered if anyone heard if the trains are running from Ayr to Stranraer yet?

I will have to give Scotrail a ring!

• orraloon

Think it's still replacement buses until start of June at least. Some of the bigger type longer distance buses do take bikes on board, but...

• Phoned Scotrail no trains from Ayr to Stranraer until at least 22nd June! They said the replacement buses only take folding bikes. So change of plan, train to Prestwick, stay in Ayr and cycle to Stranraer the next day!