Di Luca now, Armstrong next?

Didn’t know about yet another former PRO with a questionable pedigree going into frame badging…

personally, I had a aoft spot for the guy

https://www.dilucabike.com/en/home-eng/

left the forum March 2023

Comments

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383

The guy confessed that he has no regret and if he was to compete again, he would cheat again, as much as he didn't mind cheating on his wife.

Now, would you trust the bicycles he sells.....? I wouldn't.

• Yes, it has been around for a few years now. I doubt he sells many of them. Who else is there that has launched a bike brand? I can think of; Merckx, Cipollini, Boardman, Contador and Basso (Aurum bikes), Lemond and Fondriest.

I think only Boardman had any real mainstream commercial success, Cipollini did have a bit of pull at the top end of the market for a while but that seems to have waned.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Lemond had a great deal of success until Trek tanked the brand during the Armstrong era, because Greg Lemond kept speaking out against LA.

• Good shout, I had forgotten all about the whole Lemond/Trek/Armstrong saga.

I do remember seeing a couple of Lemond's in the flesh and they always looked like nice bikes.

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383

I think Basso is actually a different Basso. The bike company was around before the cyclist became known. So only because he happen to have their same name, they benefited from free PR. Basso is not a rare family name in Italy.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    edited March 25

Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton, Carlton (Kirby) and not forgetting track cyclist Katy Marchant (KTM).

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • You are correct, Basso bikes is nothing to do with Ivan Basso. Ivan Basso and Alberto Contador have a bike company together called Aurum bikes.

• I had forgotten about Hoy. Didn't realise Halfords also have lines under Wiggins and Pendleton.

• wakemalcolm
    edited March 25

I'll be disappointed if Nairo Quintana Roo is a nominative coincidence although I'll accept that Pederson predates the former world champion and recent chipper victor.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

Ricco’ instead has a line of white goods, fridges and freezers…

I’ll take my coat…

left the forum March 2023
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

I'm not sure that Fondriest ever had a bike-making business, I think his name was just used on a certain range of bikes made by an italian firm, i.e. he wasn't actually involved in the business. This was definitely the case for bikes sold under the names Coppi and Bartali (both made by the italian firm Masciaghi) and bikes sold under the name Poulidor (made by french company Mercier, I think now owned by Lapierre).

However, to add to the list of successful riders who went on to set up a bike-making business selling a brand with their own name: Battaglin, Motta, Moser, Janssen.

As well as Boardman bikes being a commercial success, I'd say Merckx bikes were a success too; and unlike some of the above, they are still going.

• Interesting, I had always assumed Fondriest was more heavily involved as he featured quite a lot in the marketing and they definitely liked to give the impression they were 'his' bikes, so to speak.

Moser and Battaglin are good shouts, used to see a few of those frames knocking about.

Would agree with regards Merckx, particularly around the mid 2000's when they seemed to be pretty popular. A mate of mine still has his his old Merckx, think it might be an em5.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Dan Craven and Onguza bicycles.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • wakemalcolm

Awesome shout. There was a great TCP episode about this.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,925

ET, Kuwahara.

He went home though so I don't know if it counts.

• froze
    froze Posts: 213

Look guys, when Armstrong raced the entire peloton was doping, this was commonly known even among race officials. There were team vans parked along strategic areas of the race route where the riders would ride to their team van, jump inside, get a shot of EPO and get on their bikes, and go like crazy. The officials knew this was happening and turned their backs to it all.

That is the reason why those 7 years of the Tour de France did not put the second-place person in the championship category, they left the first-place winner blank, no one won, and no sport has ever done that, whenever a first-place person was found cheating and disqualified the second-place person won first place. But race officials knew they couldn't do that because it would have opened up a huge can of worms.

There have even been some riders who leaked out that the entire peloton was cheating, one of the riders described the effect of EPO as if it was like they were never even on the bike, and they were completely refreshed.

This really boils down to the fact that Armstrong, who was an American, had no right to win 7 TDF's, it was an embarrassment to the European racers and to the European fans, he had to be stopped. Had Armstrong only won 2 or 3 nothing would have been said, and doping would have continued to this day.

In fact, there is a very high possibility that doping has indeed continued. This was written in 2022: "A stem cell researcher and antidoping advocate, Parisotto helped to develop the early EPO tests and was one of the founding members of the UCI’s biological passport programme. He played a key part in the 2015 Sunday Times investigation against the IAAF concluding that hundreds of athletes had recorded suspicious results which were not followed up between 2001 and 2012. 

“I’m not optimistic that much has changed regarding doping in sport. At best, the status quo has been maintained since the blood passport was introduced in 2008-9. My view on sport is quite jaundiced, and I make no apologies for that. I also fear that there has been a complete drop-off in all anti-doping programmes since the Covid outbreak. 

“The resources that anti-doping programmes have are tiny in comparison to [the budgets behind] athletes and teams, so they will always face an uphill battle. I think most athletes who are blood doping are still using the old tried-andtested methods."

In NASCAR there is an old saying, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying!" With all its very strict rules and checks, even NASCAR still occasionally finds cheaters, and the rest of the racers don't get caught. So there is a lot of cheating in NASCAR, and there is a lot of cheating in cycling, and we all know about cheating in the Olympics, there is even cheating at the high school level sports.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,693

Would you like some sauce to go with that chip?

If you bothered to read the posts above you'd see this thread is about racers that went on to establish brands selling bikes using their names.

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 226

Pinarello was last in the 1951 Giro and used his severance payment from the team to open his shop and found the brand