Reproofing waterproof kit

Apparently you're supposed to fix the proofer with heat via tumble dryer or iron. My greenhouse is up to 32deg in today's spring sunshine. Do you think that's hot enough to do the job? I used the Mountain Warehouse 2in1 wash/proofing liquid.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

if it says it needs tumble drying/ironing i'd aim for at least 50 celsius

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Is the kit okay to be tumble dried? Most cycling kit is not recommended to be stuck in the dryer.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

Only ever used nikwax and always tumble dried on cool setting tbh. I'm assuming the mountain warehouse proofer will be pretty much the same. So basically as sungod says.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079

Yeh I guess tumble dryer (or iron) is the only way to get the heat unless I wear it to the sauna 😆 The tumble dryer probably won't do it much good as the taped seams need attention but I've ordered some tape to redo ones that have peeled off.

It's salopettes and a jacket that I usually wear for hiking but this time I'm getting ready for a ski trip so hopefully won't be getting any rain but I want to get the best out of the reproofing while I'm doing it.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited March 24

My Event waterproof jacket was particularly grubby, so I decided to add a scoop of oxy-action stain remover to the Techwash. Don't, it dissolves the taped seams. I had to pull/cut all the tape off. The pockets weren't stitched, just held together with tape, so they no longer function as pockets. Keys in pocket...keys on the floor.

• heavymental

I've ordered some of this tape https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/neotape-wetsuit-repair-tape-50mm-wide-x-1m/ which a friend recommended but there are other seam tapes available. If it's a Montane jacket I have noticed the seam tape is different to other jackets I've owned.

• oxoman

I always use the nikwax tech wash / reproofer stuff on my montane jacket and and never had a problem. The event stuff encourages you to wash it to reactivate but obviously not with the oxymoron stuff. Good luck on repairing it. There used to be a place in Lancashire that used to do this kind of stuff. They shortened my ME waterproof trousers, still in use after 15 plus yrs.

• heavymental

Alpkit have a repair service. There's a few other repair options around now than there used to be. Think I used a Lancashire based one years ago but can't remember the name.

• oxoman
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited March 24

Yes it is a Montane and thanks for the repair info, but it's quite old now, so not worth spending on. Even in its current state, it still keeps all but the worst weather out.