Favero shipment taxes to UK

HI all, i have an open order for the Favero power meter pedals, i decided to go direct as the cost is much cheaper, this morning i had the below email, i need to agree to this before they proceed with the order, if i do do you know how would i go about paying this if at all ? i would imagine other cyclists have gone down this route before.

=============================================================================

I would like to remind you that, as also stated on our website, for deliveries outside of the European Union (due to the Brexit the UK is no longer part of the EU), the country of destination will apply local taxes and customs duties (circa 20% of local taxes and then a very small percentage of import duties on the total amount of the order), which are not included in the product price and are to be borne by the customer at delivery.

Comments

• kageds
    kageds Posts: 37

Its ok think ive sussed it out,

carrier collects parcel from retailer, holds parcel once in UK,

sends an email, or SMS link to pay tax/custom duty dependant on cost of goods,

you pay the tax,

item is delivered

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

Is it that much cheaper though?

I bought a set of Duos from Sigma for £550.

On any items from the EU since leaving it, I've found my estimate figure of paying 30% more than the original cost, pretty close, though this will fluctuate due to the value of the order.

My last order was valued at ~£200 and iirc additional charges/duty/admin fee was around £58.

Be interested to hear what you paid for them and what the extra fees are.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited March 13

Looking at the Favero website I'm seeing 570 Euros, plus something for postage presumably?

Total price likely to be somewhere about 720 (£616) - 740 (£633) Euros.

Lordgun who I have shopped with many times and in the last year, and I've never been charged any extra duty or taxes (You would need to double check this with them of course), has them for £553 + £10 shipping:

If I was looking now, I'd definitely be going there, or I'd wait for Sigma to reduce their price which they have done often in the past.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

the good carriers will handle clearance/charges while in transit and send you a link to pay online, as long as you do it before arrival it can avoid your stuff being held up once in uk

the carrier will also charge you a fee for processing, often a fixed charge, say 10-15 pounds, but in other cases it may be a percentage of total duty/vat

carriers vary in their ability to do things well, i've had major problems with ups, whereas i've found dhl consistently good

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • daniel_b

Read quite a few bad reviews about their site/business, so decided to avoid them, could be incorrect I suppose, but I wasn't going to risk it.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Bought two sets from them. Original BePro and Assioma. No problem.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

never used them, but buying in-country with a credit card is pretty safe

uk-eu has extra admin/duties/fees/risks caused by brexit

not so bad below 135 gbp value as the vendor handles it all, they have to use an hmrc system to process things (those not willing to accept the overhead are no longer shipping to uk)

above 135 gbp the process changes...

vat+duty are payable by the importer, typically that's you, this is where risk increases vs. buying within uk

the carrier has to get the vat/duty from you, and charge you their fee for doing it

some vendors are set up to manage all the duty/vat as part of the sale, but typically they are not places selling bike stuff

if you need to return a 135+ gbp item that you paid vat/duty on via the carrier, you need to claim back from hmrc yourself, it's not the vendor's problem, obviously you won't get the carrier fees back

in the case of vendors that handle the import for you, some have returns t&c saying you will not get the vat/duty refunded (they haven't got the money, hmrc has it), then it's your problem to try and get the money from hmrc

for returns for repair/warranty, if the documentation isn't correct, or if the carrier messes up, you are liable for paying vat+duty again on return to uk, and your property will not be released until either you pay up or you can successfully dispute it (been there, won it, carrier error, but it was a real pain in the neck)

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470

Royal mail/Parcelforce will send you a letter or message ,I often call them when I know it's arrived with them and pay over the phone .

You'll have

Handling @ £8 and VAT at the going rate

You're cheaper buying in the UK