Eggbeater pedals

pep.fermi
pep.fermi Posts: 383

Tried to changed from single-side to double-side spd pedals and found out double-side (obvious) weigh more. Thinking now of eggbeater. I love spd, never tried eggbeater.

Question:

you like eggbeater?

do they need same clip as spd, or different ones?

surely they got to be lighter, right...?

anything else...?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Never tried them but to your questions. Different cleat to SPD. Heavier but the pedals are lighter so you'll have to check combined. Multi-sided (4?) so should be easier to clip in.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

Had them for a while, and not sure that the cleats are heavier as @pblakeney suggests - they are smaller than an SPD cleat? Could be wrong...

The pedals themselves were "ok" to use. Click in and out was easy, perhaps a bit too easy. But, I didn't especially like the feel of them under the shoe. Was using a fairly low end MTB shoe with a relatively pliable sole and I found the Eggbeater design hurt my feet a little, could feel the edges a bit. Better shoes would likely have solved that.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700

Specific cleat. I used some of the original ones, without any platform at all and it is relatively easy to miss entirely.

That aside, personally I think it is a clever system and it is a metal/metal interface, meaning float is quite good.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Yeah. Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of Speedplay.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383

Thanks everyone