Turbo trainer - Measuring Distance

Evening All.

As per the title, training commences this week for a 75mile charity ride in Spring of next year.

This will consist of upping my normal outdoor riding (building distance, conditions, hills etc), with ticking over daily on my turbo trainer.

Before you shout at me😂, yes I know distance via a turbo trainer means little, but I want a simple metric with my indoor work that I can build on.

With the above in mind do those with experience have solutions for measuring distance via the rear wheel on my turbo trainer.

Thanks in advance.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,866
    One answer is to get a speed/distance sensor and fit it to your back wheel.
    It'll only replicate perfectly flat rides but will be accurate for distance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • apcmtb
    apcmtb Posts: 53
    pblakeney said:

Thanks for the reply, I did start looking in this area this morning but got a bit lost.

Would you have any idea/link of the kind of thing you mean
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,078
    edited October 2023
    Before I splashed out on a WattBike, I used to measure distance using a very basic wired speedo with the sensor on the rear wheel and the speedo itself on the top tube, heavily wrapped in plastic to save it from sweat damage. I just viewed the speed and distance as "units" and trained for a certain amount of time at certain levels of perceived exertion and/or heart rate.

That was all I needed to track progress. The WattBike (and doubtless other smart trainers) is much better - smoother, variable resistance, with lots of virtual reality apps available - but I got all my best results using a single gear and the old school speedo. (Maybe a bit of ageing influencing this!)

I had a couple of these. https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/computers/CC-VL520/
    They don't last forever due to sweat damage.

I tried a few wireless options but they were varying degrees of cr*p, even the "premium" names.
  • apcmtb
    Thanks, that was my first thought, sensor on the back spokes, then I assume receiver on the chainstay?
  • pblakeney
    apcmtb said:

pblakeney said:

Thanks for the reply, I did start looking in this area this morning but got a bit lost.

Would you have any idea/link of the kind of thing you mean
    Depends on whether you have a computer already or not. This one if you do -

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-sensors/bluetooth-speed-sensor

This basic computer if you don't -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-VELO9-CC-VL820-Cycle-Computer/dp/B007YV1GFQ/ref=asc_df_B007YV1GFQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309903032879&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2878611550404600216&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007377&hvtargid=pla-522738698765&th=1
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,078
    edited October 2023
    apcmtb said:

Thanks, that was my first thought, sensor on the back spokes, then I assume receiver on the chainstay?

I think I put mine on the diagonal bits (I'm clearly not a mechanical expert!) that come down from the bottom of the seat post, but as long as the two sensor bits are "close" when the wheel comes round and you're not risking kicking anything than I don't think it matters.

I recall some frustration with the length of the cable to the speed unit mount. One of the speedos I had only reached to the seat post so I had to look down to check progress, but it wasn't a particular issue.
  • pblakeney
    Yeah, that's why I suggested wireless.
    Most wired setups are designed to go on the front wheel and may be too short.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • apcmtb
    Thanks guys, I think I have a spare wireless knocking about, so may give that a try in the 1st instance.

Appreciate the input
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    If you log distance then just estimate would be my advice. Before I had zwift I knew an hour reasonable effort was around 20miles so I'd log turbo time on that basis.

Training is about time at different intensities anyway not mileage.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]