La Vuelta 2023: Stage 14:- Sauveterre-de-Béarn to Larra-Belagua, 156.5km ***Spoilers***

2»

Comments

• arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    pblakeney said:

In my considered opinion, I don't think he's ill

Yeah I think he backed right off after being dropped the other day ...was strange though
    Two theories.
    He realised he wasn't going to get Red so eased off to show Ineos how to win stages.
    He has attitude issues and spat the dummy out. Lefevre gave him a rocket last night.
    My theory is that in Remco 'the cyclist' exists the alter ego of Remco 'the super champion'. To the alter ego a story of being beaten by a couple of Jumbos wouldn't fit so it pushed 'the cyclist' to a dramatic downfall to be followed by a heroic recovery. This would also explain the fake tears.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,892
    Let's speculate
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    Or he just had a bad day (no idea why) and then made it a point to prove he isn't crap (which no one said, but he overcompensates due to his own drive to succeed and the pressure he builds on himself).

In other sports being inconsistent is congruent with being young. Young football teams are often both brilliant and super athletic but also inconsistent during a season. Maybe the same is true for Remco, though I really don't know how much can be inferred from other sports' or athletes. At present I have absolutely no idea what makes him or Pogacar have such terrible crash and burn days in GT's, only to recover pretty much to full strength a day or few days later.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023