La Vuelta 2023: Stage 14:- Sauveterre-de-Béarn to Larra-Belagua, 156.5km ***Spoilers***

Stage 14:- Sauveterre-de-Béarn to Larra-Belagua, 156.5km

September 9th
Start Time: 11-55BST.

The Vuelta a Espana peloton faces more fatigue in the French Pyrenees, with three major climbs in just 156.5km of racing, while the elevation gain adds up to almost 4,600 metres. Both the Col Hourcére and Puerto de Larrau have both been deemed hard enough to be labelled especial category, ensuring another GC battle should take place on the new finishing climb of Puerto de Belagua. The opening 50 kilometres are in the valley roads, making it difficult for a break to get away, so it is bound to be a fast race.

The stage kicks into gear in the French town Sauveterre-de-Béarn in the foothills of the Pyrenees and heads back towards the Spanish border. The riders cross into Spain at the summit of Puerto de Larrau. A left hand turn takes the riders back into the mountains. They follow the Río Belagua upstream for 11 kilometres on false flat. The summit of the finish climb lies close to the Spanish-French border, in Larra-Belagua.

The Climbs.

The Col Hourcère is 11.1 kilometres long and averaging 8.7%.

The first 10 kilometres of Puerto Larrau are actually called Col d’Erroyment and go up at double digits before 3 false flat kilometres make way for the last 2 kilometres at 10.3%.

Final Kms.

They follow the Río Belagua upstream for 11 kilometres on false flat. The gradients intensify gradually until the final 9.5 kilometres rise at 6.3% to the line. While nearing the finish line, the climb levels out in the last 3 kilometres.

What to Expect.

Assuming that stage 13 will turn into a hard battle for the red jersey, it makes sense to think of stage 14 as more of a chance for the breakaway to survive. The route is less suited to crack your GC rivals, as the toughest ascents appear so early.

Sauveterre-de-Béarn

Unprecedented La Vuelta departure
1,370 inhabitants

This small town in the heart of the Pyrénées-Atlantiques has a Medieval past that played a strategic role due to its defensive character. The Monréal Tower and the Légend Bridge, on the banks of the Gave d’Oloron, which served as a natural border. Glère Island, declared a natural area, is home to many different species of protected plant life. In the Middle Ages the town was used to keep a watch from its lofty heights on Gascony and the bordering Navarre.

Sel de Salies-de-Béarn

Sel de Salies-de-Béarn is a unique tasting salt rich in magnesium and trace elements. It comes in two varieties of crystals - coarse salt and Fleur de Sel. According to a local legend, a saltwater spring was found when a wild boar was wounded in a hunt and its body was discovered a few months later, preserved in the spring's salty water.

Volailles du Béarn

Volailles du Béarn is poultry of excellent organoleptic qualities with fine, firm flesh, produced in the French region of Pyrénées Atlantique and neighbouring districts. The animals include chickens, capons, poulards, guinea fowls and turkeys, slaughtered at an age that is close to their sexual maturity. Béarn poultry is best enjoyed roasted or oven-baked, with potatoes, vegetables and creamy sauces.

Larra-Belagua

Unprecedented La Vuelta finish-line
410 inhabitants

Larra Belagua is a winter resort in Navarra, Spanish Pyrenees. It is located near the town of Isaba in the Roncal Valley. Larra – Belagua is a natural area in the heart of the Navarrese Pyrenees with a wide range of activities for nature lovers. Cycling is not new to Isaba, as it hosts the Larra Larrau cyclotourist event each year, where participants complete the four climbs that the peloton will face during this stage.

Merlu koskera

Merlu koskera is a traditional French dish originating from the Basque region. The dish is prepared with hake (merlu), peas, mussels, asparagus, carrots, shallots, white wine, butter, garlic, eggs, thyme, bay leaves, and parsley. The hake is cut into fillets, then cooked with other ingredients.
When served, the hake is usually placed on the bottom and topped with hard-boiled eggs, peas, asparagus, and mussels.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770
    14. Roglic pls
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951

14. Roglic pls

@carbonclem - Wrong thread. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Also surely the break has this.
  • I am not sure, but I think Robbie McEwen just had a faintly disguised dig at Jumbo,
  • Evenepoel in bounce back mode.
  • Evenepoel in bounce back mode.

Dead cat or Carapaz?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    No wout poels in the break goddamit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    UAE punched themselves in the face
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The weather must be impacting the forum's enthusiasm for big mountain stages. Whole stage coverage and half a dozen posts.
    Larrau was a real grind.
    Kirby is back with his bullsh!t battle plans and wot not.
  • I've got it on in the background. No sound, so I'm not sure what's going on except Remco and the lovely Romain just out for a pleasant ride in some lovely countryside.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,192
    Likewise, on in background. Eye it occasionally and wonder has Bardet ever taken a turn on the front? Low volume as a de-wittering mech.
  • mididoctors
    Ck is unbearable
  • mididoctors
    I think Remco was off top form and just rode for recovery rather than just collapse completely.
  • Ck is unbearable

He’s had Remco on repeat play, every 10 minutes throughout the stage.
    It’s been like Chinese water torture.
  • mididoctors
    Bardet has a half decent sprint ...and remco has done a lot of the work
  • “A French man from this southern part of Spain.”
    Robbie McEwen’s turn today. :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584

Bardet has a half decent sprint ...and remco has done a lot of the work

Lol good timing
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2023
    Fair play to Evenepoel. He's shown some real character today. He's gone up in my opinion.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Remco ups the pressure...rides bardet off the wheel
  • mididoctors
    Right move to make ....
  • In my considered opinion, I don't think he's ill
  • Dialatron
    Dialatron Posts: 1,101
    Talent or not, would you want the burden of managing him? Has he shown any sign of being a team player? Maybe he's a perfect fit for Lefevre.
    Old, fat and that's just the bike.
  • mididoctors

In my considered opinion, I don't think he's ill

Yeah I think he backed right off after being dropped the other day ...was strange though
  • pblakeney

Yeah I think he backed right off after being dropped the other day ...was strange though
    Two theories.
    He realised he wasn't going to get Red so eased off to show Ineos how to win stages.
    He has attitude issues and spat the dummy out. Lefevre gave him a rocket last night.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pblakeney said:

Two theories.
    He realised he wasn't going to get Red so eased off to show Ineos how to win stages.
    He has attitude issues and spat the dummy out. Lefevre gave him a rocket last night.
    Didn't Evenepoel lose most of his time yesterday in Tourmalet? I seem to recall he made it to the top of Spandelles about 5 minutes back.

And today was a bloody disgrace. I should have known from seeing the attitude up Larrau, with so many people catching the bunch even before the descent. Evenepoel essentially gained time in every single climb. Plus the flat. Without that much help from Bardet. This was supposed to be a tough day, but there were almost 50 riders in the bunch halfway up Belagua, for crying out loud.

Yes, I'm disappointed...
  • pblakeney
    drhaggis said:

pblakeney said:

Two theories.
    Didn't Evenepoel lose most of his time yesterday in Tourmalet? I seem to recall he made it to the top of Spandelles about 5 minutes back.

Yes.
    It was at that point that my theories kicked in.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971
    The interesting thing would be to have seen how he would have been able to respond to having to go head to head on this stage with the JV big 3. Could he have handled it? But fair play to him, he did a great ride today.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

Two theories.
    I heard a conspiracy theory .... he did it deliberately cos he knew he hadn't a hope in hell against the jumbo trident and I stead can still elevate his value by winning a rake of stages and the blue dotty jersey
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483

pblakeney said:

Two theories.
    I heard a conspiracy theory .... he did it deliberately cos he knew he hadn't a hope in hell against the jumbo trident and I stead can still elevate his value by winning a rake of stages and the blue dotty jersey
    This makes sense. Jumbo have this sewn up and he’d get no stages duelling for a podium spot.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Two theories.
    Ah, so my theory 1 then? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: