friday una went to find a parachute before they reached windermere

2»

Comments

• Fish ‘n Chips with peas (mushy of course) is my preferred choice

First off, the fish is usually haddock, Skate is acceptable but NEVER Cod. Nobody around here eats Cod (but the cats love it, they usually have it boiled though) except maybe some of the trippers who ask for Cod.

The chips are Maris Piper, King Edwards or Desiree (it’s a personal choice thing) and should be large enough so that once fried plenty of the soft moist potato should remain inside (none of this French fries nonsense).

The above are mostly fried in oil these days, though you can still find the odd place that uses lard/fat. But that is not for me (personal choice again). A good chippy bought meal will not leave you with a greasy taste in your mouth, just a well satisfied grin. The above costs between five and eight quid depending where I go and they are all good portions

If you don’t like Fish ‘n Chips don’t have any, if you do like them all good and well, tuck in!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,569

Fish ‘n Chips with peas (mushy of course) is my preferred choice

First off, the fish is usually haddock, Skate is acceptable but NEVER Cod. Nobody around here eats Cod (but the cats love it, they usually have it boiled though) except maybe some of the trippers who ask for Cod.

The chips are Maris Piper, King Edwards or Desiree (it’s a personal choice thing) and should be large enough so that once fried plenty of the soft moist potato should remain inside (none of this French fries nonsense).

The above are mostly fried in oil these days, though you can still find the odd place that uses lard/fat. But that is not for me (personal choice again). A good chippy bought meal will not leave you with a greasy taste in your mouth, just a well satisfied grin. The above costs between five and eight quid depending where I go and they are all good portions

If you don’t like Fish ‘n Chips don’t have any, if you do like them all good and well, tuck in!

Shoot me down in flames CC, but I have trouble telling the difference between Cod and Haddock.

Also for bonus points, scraps.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • If it’s been frozen there may not be much difference to your palate as freezing diminishes the flavour. But fresh there’s a world of difference.

By-the-bye: Some unscrupulous shops/restaurants may try to pass off a cheaper species of fish in place of what you’ve ordered. Never accept a piece of fish without the skin in place. Learn to identify the skins of different fish or at least the ones you like.

Good point on the scraps, I had some yesterday :D