Hydraulic disc brakes brake less than rim brakes?

13»

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155
    Munsford0 said:

Comfort and practicality trump just about anything else.

Which is ironically where modern disc brakes bikes excel. My old Ribble Audax was my "practical" swiss army knife bike back in the day, but difference in comfort of that Vs my Dolan RDX on 30mm tubeless is night and day. The stopping being completely unchanged wet or dry makes it great for commuting, as does the fact your rims don't wear out. Modern wide range cassettes mean I can go from flatlands in Essex to the peaks with no change of gearing. Wide tyre clearance mean you can have a single bike you use year round on the road with or without mudguards, or even light off roading,

If you're a racer on a budget then the proliferation of discs is a very bad thing; but if you're a grizzled old cyclist looking for more comfort then it's a very good development.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 613
    Me too. I bought the original Kinesis TK as a practical year round bike 15 years ago.
    The choice at the time was pretty limited. Clearance for guards but 25mm max tyres and long drop caliper rim brakes.

These days all the bikes I'm idly browsing are steel framed gravel jobs with 2x GRX drivetrains with 36t cassettes, hydraulic discs, room for wider rims and fatter tyres with proper mudguards, and mounting points for all manner of stuff.
  • I've just upgraded to a 2022 Trek emonda with discs and I definitely feel more confident braking,I live near crystal palace that has a few steep hills that are busy with traffic and people.
    I also like the fact that I won't need to replace my wheels due to wear.
    I'm 48 and have been used to riding mtbs with discs on and off for 15 years.
    After I had my tire pop from the brake block I now don't need to worry about that but to be fair I would have kept checking the brake block position as it was pretty dangerous when it happened.
    They are 105 on emonda and haven't had any noise or rubbing issues.....yet.