Rim depth

13»

Comments

• As I alluded to before, can any of us say we notice a clear and obvious performance enhancement across most of the wheelsets we use, or is it really just a bit of a difference in feel and aesthetics that largely determines what we ride/enjoy?

I suspect that tyre choice/width/pressure plays much more of a role than the rim depth, unless you are focussing on a very specific discipline like TT or hill climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,807

As I alluded to before, can any of us say we notice a clear and obvious performance enhancement across most of the wheelsets we use, or is it really just a bit of a difference in feel and aesthetics that largely determines what we ride/enjoy?

I suspect that tyre choice/width/pressure plays much more of a role than the rim depth, unless you are focussing on a very specific discipline like TT or hill climb.

You notice it a little for sure
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 613

It’s the way it works with old folks… you get the good advice, together with the abuse… have you seen Gran Torino?

Are you suggesting this is going to end in a hail of gunfire?

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    edited January 2023

... unless you are focussing on a very specific discipline like TT or hill climb.

Ha!
    At the National, I decided to use the heavy rear wheel with the heavy tyres, essentially because I wanted to avoid a puncture on the way to the start, which was a few miles from HQ and even further from our accommodation. I thought actually making it to the finish line was the most important outcome of the day.
    As it happened, I did better than on my previous two Nationals, where I was riding much lighter wheels.
    A couple of weeks earlier, I won my only (club) hill climb, as I showed up on my winter bike...

So, no... wheels make no practical difference, within reason, I would say most equipment makes no practical difference.

Even in TT, people obsess about the bike, but it's not the TT bike that is fast, it's that a good setup allows you to ride in a very aerodynamic position, which is very difficult to achieve on a road bike or with a bad set up. For example, on my road bike, I can hold a fully tucked position for 2 minutes, before my arms hurt too much and I need to reposition them... I need a bit longer than that if I want to go faster
    left the forum March 2023
  • Munsford0 said:

It’s the way it works with old folks… you get the good advice, together with the abuse… have you seen Gran Torino?

Are you suggesting this is going to end in a hail of gunfire?

That is unlikely...
    I was referring to the way Clint Eastwood dispenses good advice with the young fella...
    We were always treated like that... my LBS when I was in my teens, was run by a grumpy man with a lacklustre racing career who would make you feel totally worthless about your cycling ability, before doing some free work on your bike or offering you a real bargain on a used one.
    That is very different from the experience you get these days, when you are bigged-up and sweet talked into buying the latest 6 grand wonder to make good of those incredible guns you've got
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    edited January 2023
    secretsam said:

daniel_b said:

@secretsam, is it your only bike, or only 'best' bike?

No, it's not my only bike - I'm a tragic 'all the gear' type. Currently n=5, although one is for sale (or will be, soon)

I'm not going to go into my own N count :D

Presumably one of your other bikes has deep wheels then, or not?

I have an aero bike with 70/60 (It used to run 50/50), and my lighter weight climber runs 30/30, for me that is a good combination.

I'm a tad under 70kg, and have had some entertaining days on the aero bike with gusting cross winds.
    50s front and back could well be a less 'thrilling' experience though.

If I just had the one bike, 50/50 is what I would have gone for.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    do 50mm f&r or 60mm f&r like that MF bloke ssid 3 pages sgo ya?

okey dokey.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    edited January 2023
    daniel_b said:

Nah, all shallow, 25mm is a deep as it goes.
    Question for @ugo.santalucia and other wheelbuilders out there - can one get wheels with (decent) carbon rims built to spec? Just curious, most of what you see is pre-built and I'm always curious about the hub quality.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam said:

daniel_b said:

Question for @ugo.santalucia and other wheelbuilders out there - can one get wheels with (decent) carbon rims built to spec? Just curious, most of what you see is pre-built and I'm always curious about the hub quality.
    Yes, cycle clinic and most independent wheelbuilders will do that.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    edited January 2023
    secretsam said:

daniel_b said:

50/50 it is then :D

I have a set from cycle clinic, and most recently a lovely light set from Mark @ Spokesman.

Never dealt with them before, but a thread on here (I think) spoke highly of him, so dropped him a line, and went from there.
    30mm rims, clincher, Tune hubs I specced, 1270g with rim tape.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

secretsam said:

daniel_b said:

50/50 it is then :D

I have a set from cycle clinic, and most recently a lovely light set from Mark @ Spokesman.

Never dealt with them before, but a thread on here (I think) spoke highly of him, so dropped him a line, and went from there.
    30mm rims, clincher, Tune hubs I specced, 1270g with rim tape.
    Nice, drop me a line with your address and I will come to borrow them for the National… 😁

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819

Nice, drop me a line with your address and I will come to borrow them for the National… 😁

But surely it’s not about the bike… “wheels make no practical difference, within reason, I would say most equipment makes no practical difference.”
  • andyrr said:

But surely it’s not about the bike… “wheels make no practical difference, within reason, I would say most equipment makes no practical difference.”

That is also true…
    There is a placebo effect, which might be worth half a second or so…

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    secretsam said:

daniel_b said:

Yes, I had some rims from Light Bicycle in China built up by my LBS (Tune Hubs)