Rim depth

Comments

• mrb123 said:

Deep rim, er...

Is he still cycling or it was just a phase?

left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    mrb123 said:

Deep rim, er...

its like he's flying an aeroplane.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Yes, Lord Roger de Courcey still cycles, he now has a Union Jack custom paint finish on his pinarello which looks terrible!

To be honest, having had numerous sets of wheels I tend to go on ride 'feel' as most wheels that are half decent and weigh roughly similar to each other, seem to offer no disernible performance benefit in terms of differing rim depths. I have 25mm, 38mm and 50mm wheels and speed/power differnces between them are negligible.

A deeper rim does tend to feel a bit stiffer amd maybe requires a little less power to hold speed above 18-20mph.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

For the type of cycling you do, it doesn’t make any difference.I would probably try to go for relatively light rims, so nothing too deep, that are easier to bring up to speed. Aerodynamic analysis when tottering around at 15 mph on country lanes are overkill.

You are doing it again Ugo.
    Good advice can occasionally come with a condescending tone, it's still good advice.

Bad advice can come with soft spoken words of encouragement, but it's still bad advice.

The golden ticket would be to have soft spoken good advice, but that is rare like hen's teeth.
    Why?
  • For the type of cycling you do, it doesn’t make any difference.I would probably try to go for relatively light rims, so nothing too deep, that are easier to bring up to speed. Aerodynamic analysis when tottering around at 15 mph on country lanes are overkill.

Good advice can occasionally come with a condescending tone, it's still good advice.

Bad advice can come with soft spoken words of encouragement, but it's still bad advice.

The golden ticket would be to have soft spoken good advice, but that is rare like hen's teeth.
    Why?
    It’s the way it works with old folks… you get the good advice, together with the abuse… have you seen Gran Torino?

• First.Aspect

For the type of cycling you do, it doesn’t make any difference.I would probably try to go for relatively light rims, so nothing too deep, that are easier to bring up to speed. Aerodynamic analysis when tottering around at 15 mph on country lanes are overkill.

Why?
    It’s the way it works with old folks… you get the good advice, together with the abuse… have you seen Gran Torino?

I'm struggling with the concept that good advice has to be associated with condescension.
  • For the type of cycling you do, it doesn’t make any difference.I would probably try to go for relatively light rims, so nothing too deep, that are easier to bring up to speed. Aerodynamic analysis when tottering around at 15 mph on country lanes are overkill.

Why?

I'm struggling with the concept that good advice has to be associated with condescension.
    My take is that we grew up not trusting sweet talking snake oil sellers and salesmen in general. Therefore, to be credible, we tend to avoid coming across suspiciously supportive…
    I tend not to trust people who tell me how good or great I am… youngsters do, the world has changed and maybe they are less confident and need more approval…

Makes sense?
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman said:

Why?

My take is that we grew up not trusting sweet talking snake oil sellers and salesmen in general. Therefore, to be credible, we tend to avoid coming across suspiciously supportive…
    I tend not to trust people who tell me how good or great I am… youngsters do, the world has changed and maybe they are less confident and need more approval…

Makes sense?
    Bang on ugo.
    Dude could be a retired olympian for all you know.

How about neutral advice?
  • First.Aspect
    I ride 40's, but I only average about 3.1 on Zwift so my opinion doesn't count.
  • oxoman said:

Why?

Makes sense?
    Bang on ugo.

I think I know Secretsam, I might have even built some wheels for him years ago, or maybe we just discussed options, can’t remember…

It is neutral advice.. he said he is not quick and doesn’t race, so my advice is solid
  • MattFalle
    oxoman said:

Go half and half, 30mm semi aero.

no. half way is totally pointless.
  • MattFalle

oxoman said:

Why?

Makes sense?
    Bang on ugo.

I think I know Secretsam, I might have even built some wheels for him years ago, or maybe we just discussed options, can’t remember…

It is neutral advice.. he said he is not quick and doesn’t race, so my advice is solid
    no its not. soz Ugo, its boring.
  • MattFalle
    50/60mm, carbon, c.£400.

sorted.
  • First.Aspect
    One of the reasons I struggle so much with "clubs" is that you enter the personal fifedoms of people who are unreasonably keen.
  • MattFalle
    shallow rim bike

• MattFalle
    deep rim.

• MattFalle
    choose your steed.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2023

3.1?

wow, so strong.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

3.1?

wow, so strong.
    I know.

Is that a lot? I can't walk today.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

deep rim.

Bet those are less than 50mm.

Am I the only one who doesn't like tan wall tyres, but misses the colourful ones?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited January 2023

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    @secretsam, is it your only bike, or only 'best' bike?

If it was, I'd either go 50/40 or 50/30.

If it wasn't, and I had another bike that had deep rims, I'd pop 30s on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect

Trouble with modern bikes is that the ride feels a bit wooden.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 2023
    You're knot wrong.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    daniel_b said:

If it was, I'd either go 50/40 or 50/30.

If it wasn't, and I had another bike that had deep rims, I'd pop 30s on.

no.

pointless and lookshit

50/60mm.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    MattFalle said:

deep rim. uberfuckingcool.

Cool if your going for the triathlete look I guess.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    edited January 2023
    OMG, what have I started? :o
    @MattFalle, enough with the deep vs shallow rims, and that last Cervelo is ridiculous.
    @ugo.santalucia, we haven't met in person but conversed a few times on DMs about wheels. And you're probably right about the build of the DT Swiss rims, I had some DT swiss wheels for my old bike (shallow section!) and they were ace, and super light (c.1500g for £150 new!!!! (2015, mind))
    There is a 'wanting to treat myself' as I've been ill forever and haven't been able to ride for two months.
    daniel_b said:

No, it's not my only bike - I'm a tragic 'all the gear' type. Currently n=5, although one is for sale (or will be, soon)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    FWIW, I'm about 60kilos and ride 50mms in any kind of fen wind and I don't have any problems with crosswinds etc.

Unless you're living an actual mountain range, you're not gonna notice the 200g or whatever it is that much and you'll probably get marginally more performance out of the deeper rims on the flat.

Main thing is, whichever you feel is nicest. I think matt black 50mms look cool and they go whoosh which is fun.

I had a mate that swore by his super light mavics just because he liked the sensation of lower interia when he was accelerating.

• MattFalle
    edited January 2023
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

deep rim. uberfuckingcool.

Cool if your going for the triathlete look I guess.
    <3<3<3 shoooma shooooooom
  • secretsam said:

OMG, what have I started? :o
    @MattFalle, enough with the deep vs shallow rims, and that last Cervelo is ridiculous.
    @ugo.santalucia, we haven't met in person but conversed a few times on DMs about wheels. And you're probably right about the build of the DT Swiss rims, I had some DT swiss wheels for my old bike (shallow section!) and they were ace, and super light (c.1500g for £150 new!!!! (2015, mind))
    There is a 'wanting to treat myself' as I've been ill forever and haven't been able to ride for two months.

daniel_b said:

No, it's not my only bike - I'm a tragic 'all the gear' type. Currently n=5, although one is for sale (or will be, soon)

I'm lucky in that I have a spoke fetish, as opposed to a rim fetish, so I can replace all my spokes with something fancy and get that "new wheels feeling" at a fraction of the cost...

I built some wheels during the pandemic, when there was nothing in stock anywhere and had to make do with some bog standard Sapim Race spokes... recently, I rebuilt them with CX Ray, which was supposed to be the original build...
    Happy days