Possible new bike advice please

Hi I have been riding for a year or so nothing very challenging. I bought a second hand bike that has been ok but it was only cheap and I don't want to put any money in to it really. I have seen a bike that I like a boardman SLR 8.9 105 2022 and am looking for any thoughts on this. Thanks

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Make sure it fits and suits your age/flexibility. It's quite a racy position.
  • Las boardman branded bike I serviced you couldn't get parts for it
    The Mech at the local halfirds was excellent,was honest enough to say they simply couldn't get anything after he tried
    The Mech at the local halfirds was excellent,was honest enough to say they simply couldn't get anything after he tried

Which parts couldn’t they get? Apart from the seat post most parts are easily obtainable.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited September 2022
    Exactly as per D above

Its just a bike, not an E Type.

What parts?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    Friend bought one last week. Probably the only bike on the new market that resembles anything like value.
  • hpaul said:

Friend bought one last week. Probably the only bike on the new market that resembles anything like value.

Just read the BikeRadar review and it comes across as a decent piece of kit tbh.
    I’d be swapping the brakes and chainset for 105 though.
  • oxoman said:

It's a good bike and gets good reviews. The only thing I'd say is halfords assembly and servicing is and can be hit and miss.
    See BR review of the bike
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/2021-boardman-slr-8-9-review/

I bought my Boardman through Cycle Surgery back in 2019. It was delivered to my house in a big box for me to assemble myself. Servicing?? 🙈

• MattFalle
    Servicing?

and?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,482
    edited September 2022
    Boardman bikes offer exceptional value for money. There are some in our cycling community who look down on the brand due to association with Halfords. That said you’ll be paying a lot more for a similarly spec’d bike by any of the big brands.

Get past that incorrect view and you’ll be acquiring a bike that’s highly capable

As for replacement parts, it’s an industry wide problem that’s not going away and nor are the current price raping tactics by certain manufacturers.

The one issue raised was the geometry, as stated before, make sure you find the bike suitable for your needs
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • MattFalle
    slowmart said:

Boardman bikes offer exceptional value for money. There are some in our cycling community who look down on the brand due to association with Halfords. That said you’ll be paying a lot more for a similarly spec’d bike by any of the big brands.

Get past that incorrect view and you’ll be acquiring a bike that’s highly capable

this, exactly.

they're blimmin' brilliant and always have been..
  • My Boardman hasn’t put a foot wrong since the day I put it together. All it’s had are 2 tyres and a set of break pads.

It’s been used as a commuter since January cycling into central London and back. I’ve even taken it to Greece twice. It’s got thousands of kms on the clock.

It was brilliant value and came with Ultegra Di2 and 50mm Knight Composite carbon wheels.
  • MattFalle

My Boardman hasn’t put a foot wrong since the day I put it together. All it’s had are 2 tyres and a set of break pads.

It’s been used as a commuter since January cycling into central London and back. I’ve even taken it to Greece twice. It’s got thousands of kms on the clock.

It was brilliant value and came with Ultegra Di2 and 50mm Knight Composite carbon wheels.

its because they are totally gravy mega.

Clubbies have always hated them from day 1 when the brand was released through Halfords (total snob thing because it wasn't bought from their favourite retailer) and you could pick up the alloy framed full carbon forked Pro with full Dura Ace with full Ritchey WCS finishing kit and wheels with Conti tyres for £500 and they were paying far more for a 105 Allez.

Always have been a total bargain.

This the one the MFs have in Italy - frameset is still one of the comfiest best handling things ever.

• darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited September 2022
    What on earth does gravy mega mean and what is the MF’s in Italy?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819

What on earth does gravy mega mean and what is the MF’s in Italy?

Maybe something cool Italians say?
    The MFs maybe this https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mfs
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    And whilst an MF gets all fab and groovy and gravy and mega over his love of the chain store that sells Boardman bikes and how a bad word shouldn’t be spoken about them here’s a slightly different perspective:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13119190/how-can-they-send-a-bike-out-the-workshop-like-that#latest
    Personally I’ve had decent dealings with them including one evening when I hit a problem almost as soon as I left work to ride home - the guys in the local store spent ages trying to get me sorted for, as I recall, minimal cost to me.
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

And whilst an MF gets all fab and groovy and gravy and mega over his love of the chain store that sells Boardman bikes and how a bad word shouldn’t be spoken about them here’s a slightly different perspective:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13119190/how-can-they-send-a-bike-out-the-workshop-like-that#latest
    Personally I’ve had decent dealings with them including one evening when I hit a problem almost as soon as I left work to ride home - the guys in the local store spent ages trying to get me sorted for, as I recall, minimal cost to me.

be intigued to actually know what the real story is behind that.... 5 links out of chain? 0limit screws? really?

we're calling itchy ma beard tbh.
  • OP,
    Good luck in your hunt and do let us know what you buy.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    edited September 2022

hpaul said:

Just read the BikeRadar review and it comes across as a decent piece of kit tbh.
    I rang an fsa chainset and tektro brakes for two winters on a barely used vitus. No complaints, sold it for the same money I paid. Venon VRS

Which parts couldn’t they get? Apart from the seat post most parts are easily obtainable.

Freehub
  • MattFalle
    So thats the wheel manufacturer not Boardman/Halfords then.

Good good.

Freehub
    🤣🤣🤣🤣

• MattFalle

Las boardman branded bike I serviced you couldn't get parts for it

Freehub
    🤣🤣🤣🤣

x 1,000
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 419
    edited September 2022
    Got to love this place .
  • MattFalle

Got to love this place .

ach, just take it all with a pinch of salt snd remember that D and MF are always right.

treat it as a pub otherwise you end up turning into a clubbie.

you're not in a club are you?
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203

hpaul said:

If the bike shop can swap the parts you want for just the cost of the difference between the two then fine do it, otherwise, if you pay full price without a trade-in allowance, just use the brakes and chainset till they wear out.

Las boardman branded bike I serviced you couldn't get parts for it

Freehub
    It's a standard Shimano CS R7000 (105) 11 speed cassette, found all over the globe.