Help Aligning Bake Pads

Hi there,

First time posting here and newbie to bike riding (besides riding as a kid and a two year stint a decade ago).

I replaced the rim brake pads on my bike and I noticed that one of them is not mating the rim surface properly. I am not talking about toe-in/out, I am talking that only the bottom part of one of the front the pad is in contact with the rim. I thought using it like that for a while would wear it but it's been a while and no changes.

don't ask me how the older pads fit because I changed the pads long ago and did not really used the bike anymore.

I checked that the concave part of the washer is facing the pad holder, un-tightened the bolt, pressed the brake, but the pad is still out of whack.

should I buy a new brake pad holder with more adjustability. Are there such thing?
do I need to bend the caliper arm a little bit?
Suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks, Matt. I watched that video and the one where he explains how to adjust the pads but they do not help to solve my problem because it does not say what to do in case the concave washer/holder do not have enough play to make the pad to contact properly.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,585
    Hi
    I think you've correctly identified the problem yourself. The pad holder doesn't have enough adjustment to set it up how you need.
    I've had Tektro ones in the past which behaved as you've described. Try Shimano, Koolstop or similar.
  • well, my bike has bottom of the shelf Tektro calipers (and the original pad holders). I will start from there.

thanks
  • Update: I just received a set of Swiss Stop pads and holders. The new holders have enough angle adjustment that allows the pads to contact the rim surface squarely. Thank you all for your help!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,585
    Glad to help. Thanks for the update.