changing tubeless wheel tape

I have 29 tubeless ready rim which now leaks from spoke holes , how tricky is it to change the wheel tape and get it to reseal given the rim will have sealant residue etc on it.?
The wheel is about 2 years old but only went tubeless about 12 months ago is this a common problem or as i live and ride in southern Spain could it be a result of the heat .

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2021
    Rim tape that has been designed for the job will be easy to remove and easy to apply. But if non-proprietary tape has been used (electrical tape, Gorilla tape, gaffer tape etc), then the adhesive from those may cause a mess. In the case of Gorilla tape, a considerable mess. (I speak from experience on that one!)

Not all tape residues and or congealed sealant will be removed by brake cleaner. On one occasion, I tried every solvent or cleaner that I had in the house & garage (iso-propyl alcohol, meths, turps, paint thinners, neat "Sh1t Sh1fter", nail varnish remover, "sticky stuff remover", even liquid soap) all without any effect. In the end petrol-soaked rags shifted it a treat, just allow a few seconds for the petrol to soak in before wiping. If you do use petrol, FFS DO IT OUTSIDE!!! and do not light up a cig!

As @Oxoman said, clean up before and after fitting your new rim tape.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    It always looks like it leaks from the spoke holes. Check your tubeless valve is seated tight/correctly before going on a mission with the tape.
  • I recently had to retape a rim when the valve wouldn't seal. I bought fairly cheap lifeline tape from crc for about 8 quid. Felt a bit weird going on but sealed just fine.

Buy tape which is 1mm or so bigger than the stated rim size to account for the curvature inside the rim.

Worked a treat for me having struggled with a deflating tyre for a couple of weeks.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Ref leaks from the valve. Try a few wraps of PTFE plumbers tape around the rubber bung before gently tapping in the valve. Small gaps should be sealed by the sealant, but somehow they never do when first firing up, so the tape will help.