• Almeida going Tommy V.
    Bernal has learnt from Wednesday
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,967
    Almedia hs slight gap on Bernal.
    Stage goes to Yates.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    Bernal's turning quite a big gear isn't he?
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited May 2021
    Yates
    Almedia 10 secs
    Bernal 26 secs
    Caruso 34 secs
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Good recovery by Caruso.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708
    Almeida is doing well for a domestique.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,880
    Net gain after looking not great
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,995
    Brilliant defense by ineos . Good racing from everyone else
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Nice stage I thought - just enough in the results to keep tomorrow interesting but its going to take a collapse by Bernal unless anyone is that much better in the TT?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    edited May 2021
    How do Yates and Bernal compare in the time trial? Practically identical times in the prologue, but that was fairly short.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    Never felt Bernal was in trouble there and they just left the others go a bit as it was so early in the climb but he faded a bit in the last km. Martinez recovered to only lose 21" to Bernal in the end. It seems to have been the same every day that a different rider has made small gains or stuck with Bernal and his lead keeps growing.
  • phreak said:

How do Yates and Bernal compare in the time trial?

Stage 1, Yates was 1 second quicker
  • Dorset_Boy
    GC
    2'29 to Caruso
    2'49 to Yates
  • mididoctors
    Dan mArtin back in the top 10
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    It made me smile was DQS were riding flat out on the front of the penultimate climb and it pans to Ganna sitting just behind on the tops looking like he's on a warm up. Castroviejo was superb today, I didn't quite get why the commentators thought Bernal was in trouble when he just had him on the front maintaining a strong but steady tempo.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Given how strong Bernal was in the first two weeks, I keep finding it surprising that he's not further ahead.

Good battle for 2nd tomorrow, potential for anyone on the podium to detonate though, as none of them look 100%, though honestly can't see it happening in a big enough way to Bernal.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • phreak
    I think that's the key. It's not if a rider is just beaten by someone better, it's if they have a really bad day. Yates had a really bad day on stage 16 and lost 2.37 to Bernal, but Bernal was no further ahead of 2nd place on that day than Yates was him today.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708
    Results

1 Simon Yates (GBr) Team BikeExchange 4:02:55
    2 João Almeida (Por) Deceuninck-QuickStep 0:00:11
    3 Egan Bernal Gomez (Col) Ineos Grenadiers 0:00:28
    4 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Bahrain Victorious 0:00:32
    5 Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus) Astana-Premier Tech
    6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Israel Start-up Nation 0:00:42
    7 Daniel Martinez Poveda (Col) Ineos Grenadiers 0:00:49
    8 Koen Bouwman (Ned) Jumbo-Visma 0:01:25
    9 Tobias Foss (Nor) Jumbo-Visma
    10 Romain Bardet (Fra) Team DSM

General classification after stage 19

1 Egan Bernal Gomez (Col) Ineos Grenadiers 81:13:37
    2 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Bahrain Victorious 0:02:29
    3 Simon Yates (GBr) Team BikeExchange 0:02:49
    4 Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus) Astana-Premier Tech 0:06:11
    5 Hugh Carthy (GBr) EF Education-Nippo 0:07:10
    6 Romain Bardet (Fra) Team DSM 0:07:32
    7 Daniel Martinez Poveda (Col) Ineos Grenadiers 0:07:42
    8 João Almeida (Por) Deceuninck-QuickStep 0:08:26
    9 Tobias Foss (Nor) Jumbo-Visma 0:10:19
    10 Daniel Martin (Irl) Israel Start-up Nation 0:13:55
  • mididoctors
    If it goes early on the first climb ?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471

Yates will need people to ride with. Bernal will either win overall or finish outside the top ten.

What's happened to Moscon? Was he been rested today? He did well in the break a few days ago, so it doesn't look like the after affects of his moronic crash.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

Yates will need people to ride with. Bernal will either win overall or finish outside the top ten.

What's happened to Moscon? Was he been rested today? He did well in the break a few days ago, so it doesn't look like the after affects of his moronic crash.
    all of ineos are pretty tired..but so is everyone else. moscon may just be buggered
  • phreak
    gsk82 said:

I disagree. Throughout this race no one has won a stage by a couple of minutes. What he needs is for Bernal to have a shocker of a day (the kind Yates himself had on the Giau). Roglic and Pogacar didn't ride away from everyone by several minutes on the Grand Colombier, it was Bernal who had a bad day and fell from contention. If Bernal doesn't have that kind of day (where he finishes outside the top 10 on the stage or something) then he wins the overall.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    phreak said:

gsk82 said:

I disagree. Throughout this race no one has won a stage by a couple of minutes. What he needs is for Bernal to have a shocker of a day (the kind Yates himself had on the Giau). Roglic and Pogacar didn't ride away from everyone by several minutes on the Grand Colombier, it was Bernal who had a bad day and fell from contention. If Bernal doesn't have that kind of day (where he finishes outside the top 10 on the stage or something) then he wins the overall.
    I think we're saying the same thing pretty much. Bernal isn't going to completely blow on the first climb, so Yates is going to need some help to put pressure on him after it. He won't gain 2.5 minutes on the last climb without putting pressure on before it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago