Moving to the New Forest

2»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited May 2021
    We need to draw up a decent route for Ugo.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I've only cycled there once, killing time one evening between site visits. On the whole it was quite enjoyable although it had those 'sticky' roads for want of a better term where they took more effort than they should have done.

I did have to do a brief section of A road that I think was the A338 and I felt really vulnerable on there, not helped by there being probably the largest potholes I've experienced on a main road and the traffic not allowing me to move out and avoid them. I certainly wouldn't choose to ride on it again. It was possibly the most nervous I've been cycling in roads other than when I was riding from Newhaven to my home town with a group of French and German cyclists who insisted on taking the A27 into Portsmouth where it is effectively motorway (they eventually saw sense and we scrambled down some banks to the old road).

On the whole it was an OK ride, not somewhere I'd travel to in order to do some cycling but then I'm lucky to have been brought up cycling in one of the best areas for it in the UK (certainly the southern half).
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited May 2021
    I live right by where ugo stayed.

Most of what you put is probably due to living in Italy and having some pretty unrealistic expectations of what the new forest is like.

The dolomites it isn't, but if you're crossing A roads you've gone very wrong.

The rest of what you put is pretty nonsensical.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Pross said:

I've only cycled there once, killing time one evening between site visits. On the whole it was quite enjoyable although it had those 'sticky' roads for want of a better term where they took more effort than they should have done.

I did have to do a brief section of A road that I think was the A338 and I felt really vulnerable on there, not helped by there being probably the largest potholes I've experienced on a main road and the traffic not allowing me to move out and avoid them. I certainly wouldn't choose to ride on it again. It was possibly the most nervous I've been cycling in roads other than when I was riding from Newhaven to my home town with a group of French and German cyclists who insisted on taking the A27 into Portsmouth where it is effectively motorway (they eventually saw sense and we scrambled down some banks to the old road).

On the whole it was an OK ride, not somewhere I'd travel to in order to do some cycling but then I'm lucky to have been brought up cycling in one of the best areas for it in the UK (certainly the southern half).

Basically mirrors my experience... average cycling and some roads where I felt unsafe... and I race on the A45 dual carriageway, which in comparison feels very safe.

If I lived there, I'd probably find good routes (or seek to move to the IoW), but like Pross, it's not somewhere I will travel again for the sake of an outdoors holiday.
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    Another thing my wife and I agreed on was the bizarre lack of birds in the woodland. You see, in our garden we have robins, sparrows, blue tits, great tits, wood pigeons and magpies visiting every day. Less common are the long tail tits and the coal tits, which we maybe see once every few months... We didn't see or hear a single bird, which was very very odd. I think it was July or August.

On the positive side, I remember stealing ripe figs from a plant overhanging a walled property... which is not something you find every day in the UK.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

Pross said:

Basically mirrors my experience... average cycling and some roads where I felt unsafe... and I race on the A45 dual carriageway, which in comparison feels very safe.

If I lived there, I'd probably find good routes (or seek to move to the IoW), but like Pross, it's not somewhere I will travel again for the sake of an outdoors holiday.
    I've been underwhelmed by the New Forest. I guess it might be better than places around it, and 'pleasant' in places, but it didn't strike me as anything exceptional. But it is all comparative, I'll admit.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Small world...

Anyway, I’d love to put a route together for Ugo, Pross and Brian. Because, if you know where you’re going, there are some great days of cycling available in the New Forest.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shirley_basso
    Quite.

Given the amount of organised sportives there are, it's not like the routes are hard to find.

I actually live the other side of the village but my grandparents used to live in the big house diagonally opposite the pub (durmast) and my best friend and other grandparents lived up southfield lane - so the white buck is a well known stomping ground.

That said - it's changed hands a few times now and owned by Fuller's. Nowadays it's nowhere near as nice as Queens Head in the village centre
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Ben6899 said:

Small world...

Anyway, I’d love to put a route together for Ugo, Pross and Brian. Because, if you know where you’re going, there are some great days of cycling available in the New Forest.

I'm sure there are, I just suspect there are plenty of places where there is better. I rode there as I was in the area and it was fine other than that short section of A road but I'm lucky enough that if I was going to chuck the bike in the car for an hour or two I could be riding the spectacular and virtually empty roads of mid Wales.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    Pross said:

Ben6899 said:

Small world...

I'm sure there are, I just suspect there are plenty of places where there is better. I rode there as I was in the area and it was fine other than that short section of A road but I'm lucky enough that if I was going to chuck the bike in the car for an hour or two I could be riding the spectacular and virtually empty roads of mid Wales.
    As I say, it's all relative. I dare say there are a few nice rides you can put together the New Forest, but when you live in places where there are loads of stunning rides in pretty much every direction (well, apart from into the sea), other places can be a bit underwhelming. But then, I havent got to think of proximity to London.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've cycled through southampton twice (Portsmouth- New Forest Trip) and it was grim.
    There is no real cycling infrastructure and the roads are naff.

New forest is busy and people don't like cyclists, get out towards winchester or back towards portsmouth and it's much nicer. The south downs are brilliant for riding, they aren't particularly hilly, they're more lumpy than anything.
  • https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106821245#/

Well, that's the accommodation sorted! :D
  • shirley_basso
    Can't stay in all year round is the issue.

Also 55k is cheap for those. 200k upwards for mudeford
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Can't stay in all year round is the issue.

Also 55k is cheap for those. 200k upwards for mudeford

I stayed at the Blackhouse at the end of mudeford quay years ago.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    What was it like? Photos looked good
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

What was it like? Photos looked good

It was really nice. It was expensive at the time, cant imagine what they charge now.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I once cycled from Swanage to Eastleigh following a roadmap as I was unfamiliar with the area. It took me along the A35 through Hounsdown. That was "interesting". Fairly sure I hit my max sustained output effort record that day.
    Not really relative but the thread brought back the memory.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    edited May 2021

200k upwards for mudeford

My parents bought a beach hut on Avon Beach last year. I don't know if I hope they didn't pay that much or not. I'd be surprised if they did. Either way it'll be nice to get down there to use it (and to see them) and to inherit it when the time comes :D
  • shirley_basso
    We nearly bought one for £12k about 30y ago.

Currently £250k - £350k

https://www.denisons.com/beach-huts

Avon beach is cheaper as you can't stay in them - just for the day.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Jesus! I know that's a nice spot but still. Surprised there isn't a boom in beach hut construction the potential profits must be huge in some places.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563

Avon beach is cheaper as you can't stay in them - just for the day.

That'll be it then. They're further along the beach (e/ne) from the spit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    So, once rising sea levels wash away all those beach huts in one major storm, what's the insurance going to pay for? Surely if they can't be rebuilt because the beach no longer exists, they'll give you a fraction of what you paid for...
  • pblakeney
    I wonder just what percentage are actually insured? 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

So, once rising sea levels wash away all those beach huts in one major storm, what's the insurance going to pay for? Surely if they can't be rebuilt because the beach no longer exists, they'll give you a fraction of what you paid for...

I would be very surprised if they were insurable, the ones at Southwold either get craned away in winter or risk getting smashed to matchsticks. The value is in the plot, if that disappears under the sea or over a cliff then buyer should have been beware
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

The price is for the right to have a hut there, not the £2k jumped up garden shed. Same as most property.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    pblakeney said:

For the rebuild value? If you have spent £200k on a shed, why would you bother?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

For the rebuild value? If you have spent £200k on a shed, why would you bother?
    I wouldn't as it is just a shed in the right location, which is why I wondered.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • So, once rising sea levels wash away all those beach huts in one major storm, what's the insurance going to pay for? Surely if they can't be rebuilt because the beach no longer exists, they'll give you a fraction of what you paid for...

I would be very surprised if they were insurable, the ones at Southwold either get craned away in winter or risk getting smashed to matchsticks. The value is in the plot, if that disappears under the sea or over a cliff then buyer should have been beware
    Only the ones north of the pier and a few 'council' run ones.

Several of the more expensively placed ones ended up in the sea a few years ago due to a tidal surge.